PDA

View Full Version : Rocketry Magazine

ezgb59a
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay ... probably could find this in the multitude of threads below but are there any magazines pertaining to rocketry?

If so - which one or ones (I assume there are and that there are several) are worth reading?

How hard is it to by old issues of these magazines? I play with a metal dector when time allows and found out buying old Treasure Hunting magazines was the way to go - get two or three years worth for $10 or so.

Thanks
ez

mperdue
08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm kind of partial to LAUNCH Magazine (http://www.launchmagonline.com) Back issues and subscriptions are available online.

Mario

Royatl
08-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Okay ... probably could find this in the multitude of threads below but are there any magazines pertaining to rocketry?

If so - which one or ones (I assume there are and that there are several) are worth reading?

How hard is it to by old issues of these magazines? I play with a metal dector when time allows and found out buying old Treasure Hunting magazines was the way to go - get two or three years worth for $10 or so.

Thanks
ez

Sport Rocketry ( www.nar.org/SPR/index.html - unfortunately the website is not very informative)--- has most balanced content (covers both model and high power), but unless you get it at a hobby store, it is only available via a NAR membership.

Launch ( www.launchmagonline.com )--- Started out as a rocketry magazine, but leans heavily toward space subjects now, sometimes 60-40, sometimes 70-30. Very impressive magazine, nonetheless, and may be available at your local Barnes&Noble (not with the hobby magazines, but with Discover, Air&Space, and such). I made a deal with the publishers to pump up the rocketry content just a little. I re-subscribed last week, now we'll see if they hold up their end of the bargain ;) .

The next two cover mainly the high power end of the hobby.

Rockets ( www.rocketsmagazine.com )--- The past two years have been mostly issues of pictures of big rockets being launched, and reports of same. After the first couple of issues that gets kinda boring. I've heard recently that they're upping their pages and it is getting more balanced with other types of articles.

Extreme Rocketry ( www.extremerocketry.com )--- again, very impressive, slick magazine, but I haven't seen an issue in a couple of years. .

mperdue
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Launch ( www.launchmagonline.com )--- Started out as a rocketry magazine, but leans heavily toward space subjects now, sometimes 60-40, sometimes 70-30. Very impressive magazine, nonetheless, and may be available at your local Barnes&Noble (not with the hobby magazines, but with Discover, Air&Space, and such). I made a deal with the publishers to pump up the rocketry content just a little. I re-subscribed last week, now we'll see if they hold up their end of the bargain ;) .

It's important to note that LAUNCH has more pages than the other magazines so the number of pages they dedicate to model rocketry topics is pretty close to the others.

Mario

BoosterDude
08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
I like Launch magazine a lot. I wish they had a few more pages on model rocketry, but the articles on the full scale rockets are excellent. It's a good mix because the full scale inspire me to build more scale models. Great mag!