PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Estes Colossus

scigs30
08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I am still looking to buy the Estes Colossus, if anyone has one they would like to see. Please pvt message me.

Bob Kaplow
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Are you looking to build one, or collect one? It's just a Maxi-Alpha-3 with an extra tube to stretch it even longer...

scigs30
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Both, I want to collect it and build it. I like to the have the orig.

AstronMike
08-29-2008, 12:30 AM
I sure do miss that old Colossus, it was the epitome of 'slow realistic flights' and even flew fine without using a launch rod (can I admit that here in front of Bob Kaplow and Fred Shecter?)

The decals for that really made it seem much more than the nominal 3fnc it really was! Especially the biiiiiiig name one and those two chains.........

Shreadvector
08-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Yes, the decals were cool. You really have to fillet the fins with epoxy since those plastic fins love to break off.

Flights on a D12-3 are good with nice liftoff speed. Flying them on an E9-4 is spectacular.

I would just clone the flying version and make it out of better materials. Thin plywood fins would be stronger and the same weight - even if through-the-wall. A heavier walled BT-50 motor/stuffer tube will survive more flights as th original tended to burn through right above the motor.

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Good luck on finding an original.
They do show up on ebay every so often, but it is really rare.
They also command quite high prices (somewhere around $100) when they do show up.
Build a clone to fly and buy the original as a collectible.

foose4string
08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
#1326 plans seem to be absent from both JimZ and YORP. I like Fred's idea of cloning with the TTW light ply fins. The decals are what make that one stand out....I hope someone gets those(and the plans) scanned and uploaded eventually.

Bob Kaplow
08-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I guess I have one bad memory of the Colossus. Back then there was this cub scout pack leader that regularly flew with NIRA. He had this Colossus, and had scored a bunch of closeout packs of "Super Long Delay" D11-9s (were those for the Astrocam or something?), and no matter what we told him insisted on flying his Colossus with those damn motors. It's amazing how many times he pranged that rocket, and how many times he tried again, expecting better results.

Say, I wonder if I could use those motors in my Saturn-V :)

Shreadvector
08-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I guess I have one bad memory of the Colossus. Back then there was this cub scout pack leader that regularly flew with NIRA. He had this Colossus, and had scored a bunch of closeout packs of "Super Long Delay" D11-9s (were those for the Astrocam or something?), and no matter what we told him insisted on flying his Colossus with those damn motors. It's amazing how many times he pranged that rocket, and how many times he tried again, expecting better results.

Say, I wonder if I could use those motors in my Saturn-V :)

"9" makes it go higher than "3":p

conleyt
08-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I would just clone the flying version and make it out of better materials. Thin plywood fins would be stronger and the same weight - even if through-the-wall. A heavier walled BT-50 motor/stuffer tube will survive more flights as th original tended to burn through right above the motor.

I just took an Estes Executioner, added a third section of body tube, painted it with the Colossus paint scheme, then topped it off with decals from Tango Papa. Looks close enough for me!!! :D

Oh, and I upgraded to 29mm, plus some extra nose weight for good measure.

Tom C.

mojo1986
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
If you want an original, expect to pay for it. The last Colossus sale (on Ebay) that I recorded went in Oct. of 2005 for $77.06. Not cheap.

Joe

Ltvscout
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Hehe. That's the way I used to think as a kid which is why I bought a lot of C6-7 motors in the early days. :D

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Rumor has it that the D11-9 was discontinued due to the high number of prangs from it being used in WRONG rockets.
Seems like the USER is at fault here, but idiots choose to blame the products (guns take heat for this all the time and it gets me STEAMED beyond belief !) instead.
ANYONE putting this in any Heavy-for-a-D rocket such as a Colossus gets what they DESERVE, a powr-pranged MANGLED rocket !

It may be ok in a Saturn V in two instances:
1) if used in a FIVE engine cluster in a modified BT-101 based 1/100 scale kit.
2) if used in the BT-60 based little semi-scale Estes Saturn V sold in the 70's.

That engine was intended for light BT55 based D-powered rockets that could use a longer delay, such as the Cherokee-D, Skybolt and payload-less A20-Demon.

It was also reccommended for the Astrocam when flying it atop the D-powered Challenger II.

Also listed for use as an acceptable upper stage engine for the Astron Omega and the Sea Strike D

Ltvscout
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Rumor has it that the D11-9 was discontinued due to the high number of prangs from it being used in WRONG rockets.

That engine was intended for light BT55 based D-powered rockets that could use a longer delay, such as the Cherokee-D, Skybolt and payload-less A20-Demon.

It was also reccommended for the Astrocam when flying it atop the D-powered Challenger II.

Also listed for use as an acceptable upper stage engine for the Astron Omega and the Sea Strike D
I have a case of those motors here that I bought off of Mike Hellmund about 8 or 9 years ago.

Doug Sams
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
[The D11-9] was also reccommended for the Astrocam ....Yes, it was my understanding the extra long delay was intended to ensure the rocket was nose down at the time of ejection so that the picture would be taken looking down instead of up. I guess a couple hundred complaints of nothing but blue sky pictures prompted its development :)

Doug

Bob Kaplow
08-29-2008, 09:55 AM

Actually, it's "-9" vs "-3" which means the "-9" digs a deeper crater.

All my oddrocs from food containers to Triskellion don't need ejection charges. I could easily fly D11-9s in them, except the ejection would occur on the ground, and possibly start a grass fire.

If any one runs across places dumping D11-P and E9-P cheap, let me know. I used to use them all the time.

Shreadvector
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Actually, it's "-9" vs "-3" which means the "-9" digs a deeper crater.

All my oddrocs from food containers to Triskellion don't need ejection charges. I could easily fly D11-9s in them, except the ejection would occur on the ground, and possibly start a grass fire.

If any one runs across places dumping D11-P and E9-P cheap, let me know. I used to use them all the time.

Ok, you big silly. I know what delay times mean. i also know that any D12 or D11 (virtually the same but slightly different) will go the same altitdue and if they should coast all the way into the ground because of a too long a delay time (-7 or -9 and possibly -5) the crater will be the same size since they do not gain any more energy from the -9. Neener, neener. Smarty-pants. ;) :p :D

Phred
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
But those motors go to 11 !!

Seriosuly, I thought I had a scan of this decal, but I do not. If anyone has one they can scan, send a copy to Scott for YO Rocket Plans, and If you would send a hi res copy to me (300 dpi or better) I will take a crack at drawing it.

Ph

barone
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Seriosuly, I thought I had a scan of this decal, but I do not. If anyone has one they can scan, send a copy to Scott for YO Rocket Plans, and If you would send a hi res copy to me (300 dpi or better) I will take a crack at drawing it.

Ph
Thanks Phred. I'd like to get the decals when they become available. I saw the kit in Montana back in the early to mid 90s and hesitated buying it (wasn't sure I'd be able to get it on the plane). The following year, I went back to the hobby shop there and it was gone. Heck, it looked like it had been setting on the shelf so long that it might stay there another couple years. :o

kurtschachner
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Ph

Stop it! No More Movie Quotes!

Nigel: "This is a top to a, you know, what we use on stage. But it's very very special because, if you can see..."
Marty: "Yeah?"
Nigel: "...the numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, 11, 11, 11, 11."
Marty: "Most amps go up to ten."
Nigel: "Exactly."
Marty: "Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?"
Nigel: "Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most, most blokes gonna be playing at ten. You're on ten, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up."
Marty: "Yeah."
Nigel: "You're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"
Marty: "I don't know."
Nigel: "Nowhere, exactly. What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"
Marty: "Put it up to eleven."
Nigel: "Eleven. Exactly. One louder."
Marty: "Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a litte louder?"
Nigel: "These go to eleven."

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
LOVE the Spinal Tap reference.
ANYBODY that has seen that movie will remember that scene if nothing else.

The solid black album cover for the "smell the glove" tour was a RIOT as well !

Mark II
08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Speaking of big, impressive decals, I would love to see someone do a water-slide repro of the Broadsword decal. I've been meaning to clone that model for awhile now. (I know - it's a Super Big Bertha with a different paint scheme... and a honking big decal!)

I know that it would be one heluva project to recreate that decal, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Mark \\.

Phred
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh god Mark, yer killing me....

That would be murder to draw.... :eek:

Honestly, I do not see this one in the near future.

Phred

Mark II
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh god Mark, yer killing me....

That would be murder to draw.... :eek:

Honestly, I do not see this one in the near future.

Phred
As I said, I think it would be an absolute bear to do (which is why no one has done one). Seriously, I really don't expect to ever see another Broadsword, unless Estes does a bring-back. (Wouldn't it be great if they did, though, along with a bring-back of the Colossus?) Don't worry; I was just doing some idle dreaming. You already have an absolutely awesome catalog of decals as it is, that gives me enough project ideas to keep me plenty busy for years. (BTW, you'll probably finally see some of my FSI clones and some others with your decals at an upcoming launch. :) )

Mark \\,