PDA

View Full Version : ebay item ... your opinion

ezgb59a
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I see this is ending one bay ... didn't know if this was a good deal or not

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-ROCKETRY-EQUIPMENT-CASE_W0QQitemZ300253857687QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what these cases sell for? Which leads to a question - what do you guys use with respect to storage of such parts?

I don't know the person so if you don't want them to know what you are saying send me an e-mail.

Just want to get and idea - might pick one up next time there is one on ebay.

Thanks
ez

barone
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-ROCKETRY-EQUIPMENT-CASE_W0QQitemZ300253857687QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what these cases sell for? Which leads to a question - what do you guys use with respect to storage of such parts?

I don't know the person so if you don't want them to know what you are saying send me an e-mail.

Thanks
ez
It's just a box. If you don't need a launcher or an Alpha III or anything else, you can pick up a decent tackle box at Walmart for half the price and twice the storage capacity. But, you may find one just isn't enough..... ;)

gpoehlein
09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I got a really nice tool box at Rural King for less than ten bucks - it has a lift-out tray for smaller stuff and is large enough that I can put a launch pad in the bottom and still have room for everything else. I looked at tackle boxes, but the tool boxes were much better for the job.

Greg

Rocketflyer
09-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks
ez

Ummm, I just don't understand why you are looking on ebay for this stuff. As has been stated by others, you can get a great deal on a hand toobox, by from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, any good outlet store, etc. Tools can be picked up at the same places. Many times Sears puts tools and stuff into bargain bins. I've found clamps, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and other goodies for a lot less. Unless you REALLY want something from ebay, the best advice is to look around the stores near you, you will find inspiration jumping out at you.

Jack
NAR 4619 L2
TRA 5434 L2

ghrocketman
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
That auction item is rubbish.
Avoid it unless you can get it for $1.98 or less; that's all it's worth.
The alpha III even has a smashed upper body tube section.

Doug Sams
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
what do you guys use with respect to storage of such parts?Hmmm...not sure how best to answer this. I have a several items I use including storage tubs (with lids, of course :) ) but I think a 3-drawer toolbox is a great starting point. This is a bit heavy, but I take it to every launch: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00965628000P

I use a small Zag chest of drawers for my MR motors, but danged if I can find it on the web. (Looks like Stanley absorbed then eradicated Zag. Go figure.)

But the Sears unit is a great starting point for a range box. The drawers are extremely helpful. If you've ever gotten frustrated rooting around in dark bottom of a box, you'll appreciate having some shallow drawers to make finding things easier.

HTH.

Doug

AKPilot
09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Here ya go. Something like this. I picked up the tote for $15 at Lowes. I've now moved onto a Sears rolling tote.

Totes (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=22286&highlight=container)

Royatl
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Cases are a very personal item, and you probably won't know what you want until you've tried a couple and figure out what's best for you.

A lot of people like a fairly large Plano tackle box, with fold out compartments on top for motors, igniters, and small stuff, and a large space in the bottom for a launch pad and/or controller, larger motors, bags of wadding, etc.

Others like a tool box whose top compartment is a tray that can be completely removed.

I have one of those rolling mondo tool boxes where there is a major compartment on the bottom (with wheels), a major compartment on top (with a swing out multi-compartment tray at the bottom, and a removable tray on top, and a couple of handles for either picking it up out right, or pulling the entire conglomeration along the ground via the big wheels.

barone
09-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Go to this web site....select the Tackle drop down menu (at top of page) and then products from the drop down. From the categories list on the side of the page, select Drawer and System Boxes. From the new page, go straight ot the second page. Then click on the 3-Drawer Tackle Box. That's the one I use. Tape and glues stand up in the compartment for lurers (right hand side of box) and are accessable without opening the top. Drawers are used for motors and igniters. Side compartment gets the talcum powder and anything else that fits. Top gets building supplies and inside top gets parachutes and streamers and anything else.

http://www.planomolding.com/tackle/products.asp

Edit: I see you can just select drawers and system boxes from the first page,..... :o

ezgb59a
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Ummm, I just don't understand why you are looking on ebay for this stuff. As has been stated by others, you can get a great deal on a hand toobox, by from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, any good outlet store, etc. Tools can be picked up at the same places. Many times Sears puts tools and stuff into bargain bins. I've found clamps, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and other goodies for a lot less. Unless you REALLY want something from ebay, the best advice is to look around the stores near you, you will find inspiration jumping out at you.

Jack
NAR 4619 L2
TRA 5434 L2

Hmmm ...

#1 - hmmm looking for decent deals and no I haven't read what you claim - new to board
#2 - I've found some good deals on ebay
#3 - If I were to get tools or boxes I would go to Harbor Freight who have such tools at prices Sears, Lowes, HD, and others could only dream of.

Now if I were wanting a top grade socket set or power tool Lowes or HD or Sears might be where I would go ... then again, I've found excellent buys on good tools (Makita miter saw for one - brand new and much cheaper than buying from Sears, HD, or Lowes.)

See boxes at Harbor Freight http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=tool+boxes

gpoehlein
09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
I think the point here is that everyone is different. Look around at various retailers and discounters in your area. Shop around until you see something you think will work for you. As I said, I found a nice tool box at Rural King, but I already had a couple of cases for all my motors (for that, I like the flat utility boxes at Lowes - they have plastic dividers that you can put in any way you like, and it is about 3 inches deep - perfect for standing a rocket motor on end. So I can put each motor type in a separate compartment - I can squeeze about 12 motors in each compartment. Two cases cover pretty much all the motors made.

Harbor Freight is a fantastic source for a lot of rocket building supplies. For example, check out their inexpensive digital calipers. I understand they also have a nice little scale that goes down to 1/10 gram (much better than a kitchen or mail scale - they mostly only go to 1 gram). The more you get into rocketry, the more you'll walk around almost any store thinking "how can I use that to build rockets?" ;)

Greg