PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Transport

Carl@Semroc
09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
The new Orbital Transport (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-66) is online. We will announce it to everyone later today. There are only 40 serialized copies this time.

The Golden Scout is back as a non-"Sky of Gold" version.

The SLS Brighton is coming soon.

The Tau Zero is close. (Jay... the painting steps are tough!)

dwmzmm
09-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Cool! I have my original Estes Orbital Transport (still "in-the-bag" but opened) waiting to be
built, but heck, Carl, I got so many build projects that I'm really backed up here!!

Eagle3
09-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Didn't see that one coming! Carl, did you forget to mention the Xkit Nighthawk? I didn't see it until after I placed my order for the OT. I'll grab one with my next order. :D

Initiator001
09-28-2008, 02:44 PM
The new Orbital Transport (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-66) is online. We will announce it to everyone later today. There are only 40 serialized copies this time.

Darn it, Carl!

I just got my paycheck! :D

Expect an order soon. ;)

Bob

foose4string
09-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Nice! I ordered the parts a few months ago. Wish I had seen this coming! ;) This should be a popular seller. This one's an all time favorite for me.

foose4string
09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Looks like you updated the cone list too? I see quite a few that weren't there the other day. ;)

Tau Zero
09-28-2008, 05:46 PM
The Tau Zero is close. (Jay... the painting steps are tough!)Carl,

Yes, they are! :eek: Do you need any kind of help? Let me know. :D

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Looks like you updated the cone list too? I see quite a few that weren't there the other day. ;)Craig,

(innocent look) No, I have *no* idea where the BC-1022, 1031, and 1041G came from. Except that they're 137% upscales of Semroc's BC-715, BC-723P, and BC-730P (also known as Centuri PNC-70, -73, and -76).

*What?!?* --Why are you looking at *me?* :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

(giggling) BC-1041G. "G." *That's* funny. :p

Cheers,

foose4string
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Craig,

(innocent look) No, I have *no* idea where the BC-1022, 1031, and 1041G came from. Except that they're 137% upscales of Semroc's BC-715, BC-723P, and BC-730P (also known as Centuri PNC-70, -73, and -76).

*What?!?* --Why are you looking at *me?* :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

(giggling) BC-1041G. "G." *That's* funny. :p

Cheers,

haha....I wasn't sure exactly what was new, but the list looked a lot longer. I was actually looking at the PNC55PT Pershing II cone. ;) I submitted the rocsim file to Carl moons ago, but it's cool to see it listed now. Main reason I didn't push too hard for it was the fact it needs a fair amount of noseweight towards the tip for stability. Much easier to implement with a paper shroud design. I received other feedback from friends suggesting it should be slightly larger....like BT60 size.

wilsotr
09-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Ordered mine ... :) Oh, and a Nighthawk too. And a V-2. And ... and ... :)

Mark II
09-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Just ordered mine...and I added a Nighthawk, too! :D

Mark \\.

Mark II
09-28-2008, 08:43 PM
haha....I wasn't sure exactly what was new, but the list looked a lot longer. I was actually looking at the PNC55PT Pershing II cone. ;) [...]
Aaahh, so THAT's what that is! :cool:

Mark \\.

foose4string
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I ordered the fin sheets several months ago, and with the recent hype you've generated, I found the urge to start mine today. :D

Carl, couple notes concerning the OT. Perhaps they were already addressed before the kit release?

I can't remember if the fin patterns were always a mismatch for the 2 piece booster wings on the orginal, but I don't recall them ever having a problem. But it's been a while, and my Estes reissue is still sealed, so maybe this was always an issue with the original? I attached a pic so you could see there is almost 1/16" shortage on the trailing edge piece. I think a 1 - 2% size increase on that one single part might resolve things. I have cloned this before(and upscaled), and noticed the two pieces don't match up exactly using patterns downloaded from the web. The marking guides for the booster might not be 100% accurate either. I honestly think something happened during the scan process which might have slightly distorted things.

-Craig

Carl@Semroc
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Craig,

The wings are fixed. The original was about 1/16" too short, not square with the root edge, wrong angle on the housing box, etc. The part 4 was too long. Part 5 changed to 3/32". Booster marking was corrected. For the time being, we are going to leave FES-K42 the way it was and offer FV-66 with adjustments.

Sort of like with the original Laser-X, one of the main fins did not line up properly with the extensions. The Spaceman is not close without lots of sanding. Leve them alone or fix them? Normally, when we do a Retro-Repro, we fix everything for better fit and the xKits leave them alone.

Thanks!

foose4string
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Craig,

The wings are fixed. The original was about 1/16" too short, not square with the root edge, wrong angle on the housing box, etc. The part 4 was too long. Part 5 changed to 3/32". Booster marking was corrected. For the time being, we are going to leave FES-K42 the way it was and offer FV-66 with adjustments.

Thanks!

Cool. Glad to hear the about the improvements! Yeah, I was wondering if you fixed it up, not being part of the xkit line and all...otherwise, I would have kept my mouth shut. :D :D

Looks like I'm going have to buy the kit now! :rolleyes: :D

I see how it is. ;) :D

chanstevens
10-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Holy cow, those 40 numbered ones sure went fast! I think I got my order in Monday morning, and didn't manage to score one of the numbers. That'll teach me to spend my weekends building and not monitoring net forums.

sandman
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Holy cow, those 40 numbered ones sure went fast! I think I got my order in Monday morning, and didn't manage to score one of the numbers. That'll teach me to spend my weekends building and not monitoring net forums.

Hold on Chan, don't give up so quickly!

I looked at mine and noticed I didn't get a numbered kit...but wait...what do I see?... somthing...is sticking out of the...wait...careful...don't tear the plastic....

AHHHAH!!!

My numbered sticker somehow got into the insrtuction booklet...

I got #00007!

:D

Eagle3
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The note Sheryl wrote on my packing list said "First Orbital Transport order".

Number 6 baby. :D

sandman
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
The note Sheryl wrote on my packing list said "First Orbital Transport order".

Number 6 baby. :D

I must have missed it by seconds with #7! :mad:

chanstevens
10-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, false alarm--Sheryl told me I probably had #11, so I shook the bejeebers out of it, and found the number stuck in the staple of the instructions. I also picked up an unnumbered, so I can build one too. Eventually...

Initiator001
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I received Semroc Orbital Transport # 9 Wednesday afternoon. :D

East Coast to West Coast in three days.

That's a day faster than my order two weeks earlier. :eek:

Keep up the good work, Semroc!

Bob

SEL
10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Hold on Chan, don't give up so quickly!

I looked at mine and noticed I didn't get a numbered kit...but wait...what do I see?... somthing...is sticking out of the...wait...careful...don't tear the plastic....

AHHHAH!!!

My numbered sticker somehow got into the insrtuction booklet...

I got #00007!

:D

Same here - I thought I missed a numbered kit even though I ordered it on Sunday night!
On closer inspection I found the tag inside the instructions. I am now the happy owner of kit #10. Thanks Folks!!

Sean

wilsotr
10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
This is probably my all-time personal favorite model rocket kit. Thanks for bringing it back in its original all-balsa form, Carl! :)