PDA

View Full Version : Bless me Father, for I have sinned...

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:04 AM
...it has been well over a year since I've flown a rocket.

Anyway, my penance was to take my 6 year old grandson out this afternoon to launch a few rockets.

We threw together a Estes Blue Ninja that I wisely started yesterday, knowing that Fischer has the attention span of a newt. All we had to do today was glue the fins on and tie the nose cone and parachute together (Note: What's with the fuzzy kite string Estes is using now for shroud lines? Not good).

Other than that, it's not a bad kit. BT60, 32.5" tall, will take a bit of abuse. Flies on C11's and D12's.

I also took along a Fat Boy, Alpha, Estes Little Joe, and a Centuri Groove Tube that came as a built -up with some other stuff I picked up on ebay a couple of years ago.

We drove over to Liberty High School in Hillsboro. I've never flown thre before, but I had scoped it out tha last time I brought the car in for inspection (the school is right beside the DEQ). It was smaller than I remembered, but there wasn't much wind and Fischer was getting antsy, so off we went. ( I should note here that the last time Fischer watched me launch a rocket about 3 years ago, he ran and hid behind his mom).

First up was the Ninja on a C11-3. Fischer covered his ears, I gave the countdown and pushed the button. Lift off was slow, nice and straight, but the rocket seemed to struggle a bit getting up to altitude. The chute came out, and Fischer was jumping up and down, yelling, and running off after the rocket.

Next up was the Groove Tube on a B4-4. This was my first flight with it, and maybe it's first flight ever. It's built pretty well, tho the paint job is typical of a 14 year old. Flew very well, almost straight up. Recovery was bu streamer. I had to hop a fence to get it back.

We flew the Ninja 3 more times on C11-3's. The 2nd and 3rd flights were perfect - good strong boost, with ejection just after apogee. The 4th flight seemed to pop the chute early.

All in all a fun couple of hours, and hopefully it won't be a nother year before I get out again.

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
...it has been well over a year since I've flown a rocket.

Oops ... for some reason the pics didn't attach

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM

Let's try that again...

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM

That's okay, try again. I've got all night. ;)

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:12 AM
That's okay, try again. I've got all night. ;)

There y'go...

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Let's try that again...

I like #3. You and I have the same ideas on shock cord length. :cool: The Groove Tube pic is also cool, especially being an original as it is.
I've got a few flights that I hope to get in this week for an EMRR comparison article. It actually looks like the weather might hold up for me. Great time of year to fly around here.

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I like #3. You and I have the same ideas on shock cord length. :cool: The Groove Tube pic is also cool, especially being an original as it is.

Yup, I pretty much doubled what came with the kit.

The Groove Tube can be very easily cleaned up, I just have to get around to it.

SEL
09-06-2005, 12:34 AM

One thing I forgot to mention, as evidenced in #3, was the sprinklers. We kept having to move as the timers shut them off in one area and start them up in another. Luckily, none of them turned on directly under us.