PDA

View Full Version : Semroc is a class act

Race58
10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I know I don't have to tell most of you what kind of company Carl & Sheryl run at Semroc but for those that don't and even for those that do here is a little story.

I noticed on my email that a shipment was on the way from Semroc the other day and I couldn't for the life of me remember what I ordered(Imagine that! :rolleyes: )

Today I go to the mailbox and find this long package there from Semroc. Great,, now I will be able to remember.:)

I open the box to find one of their new kits which is a OOP Repro of the "Orbital Transport".:surprised:.
There is no packaging slip and of course I don't remember if I ordered one or not because I was going to.

It was a favorite of mine and in other threads I have posted about still having a small piece left of my original from the 70's and the problems I and others had with PD Rocketry in the last year. They had made a repro and I ordered one along with a Gemmni Titan. To make a long story short because there are many threads addressing that problem,, I never received either of them.

I sent an email to Semroc so I can find out if I owe them for something that I had ordered but didn't remember that I had. I thought that it could be possible because they have sent me stuff earlier before I paid to speed up the delivery and sent me an email telling me the total and saying "to send the payment out when you have time". How many companies will do that these days?(There was alot of them when I was young but they are far a few between now.)

Anyway I get the following email back from Sheryl,,,,

Ed,

Sorry for the confusion. Guess I should have put a note in the boxes.
SuperSaber had the same questions. We read on TRF that you and SuperSaber
had ordered and paid for an Orbital Transport but didn't receive one. We
thought you both should have one even if it isn't from PD Rocketry.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sheryl

Well I was blown away to say the least as I'm sure is SuperSabre.

All I can tell you all is that Carl & Sheryl put out super quality kits and parts and their customer service is second to none not just for this (Which as far as I'm concerned goes "Above and Beyond") but for many other times that I have either asked a question or placed an order. Each time it is handled swiftly and with a caring that you usually only get from a best friend or family.

I personally want to thank them both for this kind act publicly here and to say that I WILL "Pay this Foward" somehow in their name.:)

LeeR
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I personally want to thank them both for this kind act publicly here and to say that I WILL "Pay this Foward" somehow in their name.:)

I think you just did! I've got a few Semroc products, and number of parts for scratch builts, and a LONG list of more things I want.

As long as Estes keeps making motors (Quest too), then Semroc can supply almost everything else anyone might need.

dwmzmm
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Great story, Ed (Race58)!!

Zeus-cat
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Semroc is definitely a class act. They are also idiot friendly - I speak from experience on that count! They also have a great website which I have browsed extensively while at work (don't tell the boss).

I have to say that many of the vendors in this hobby provide great customer service (certainly a lot better than the Fortune 500 company I work for) , but to send you a kit that you bought from another company and never recieved is far more than above an beyond. Two thumbs up AND an elephant stamp for Carl and Sheryl!!!

This reminds me that I need to place another order with them. One of those new BNC-55HJ flared ogive nose cones has my name on it! All I need is a rocket to go under it.

Gus
10-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Ed,

Thank you for sharing the story.

Selflessly stepping in to attempt to right someone else's wrong.

Just another occurence of exemplary behavior by two truly gracious people.

It's really nice to be reminded there are folks like the McLawhorns in the world.

chanstevens
10-07-2008, 07:39 AM
I guess the highest compliment I could chip in on this is that after seeing the thread title, I ignored it as another yawner/exemplary service story about Semroc. The specifics of this one certainly do strike me as even more above and beyond than I'd ever heard of before, though. It's one thing to bend over backwards making your own customers delighted, quite another to right someone else's wrong.

Offering a little teaser--Semroc is currently working on a skunkworks act of kindness that is right up there with the Golden Scout in terms of awe factor, which we can all read about in Launch magazine in a few months.

Every time I start to regret not being into rocketry back in the "good old days" of Vern, Lee, Harry, etc., I need to remind myself with folks like the McLawhorns in the hobby, I may very well be living in the better old days.

Chas Russell
10-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Great people, great service, and a true love for the hobby and rocketeers. Chan: don't mention the Skunkworks project, you stinker!

Gee, should I tell Carl that I meant to buy a PD Rocketry Thor-Agena B clone at NARCON a couple years back, but purchased from SEMROC instead?

(Waiting for the T-A B to arrive in a SEMROC box..........)

dwmzmm
10-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Great people, great service, and a true love for the hobby and rocketeers. Chan: don't mention the Skunkworks project, you stinker!

Gee, should I tell Carl that I meant to buy a PD Rocketry Thor-Agena B clone at NARCON a couple years back, but purchased from SEMROC instead?

(Waiting for the T-A B to arrive in a SEMROC box..........)

Why wait? I already built one several months ago using (mostly) SEMROC parts.....

Chas Russell
10-07-2008, 09:51 AM
It was a joke, Dave.

Besides, I have the original balsa parts, plus copies from SEMROC. It is #47 on the list of things to build next.

C

ghrocketman
10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
All I can say to this one is WOW !
I try to promote what a good company Semroc, Carl, Sharon, and Bruce are whenever possible, but this goes well beyond anything I have seen out of ANY company within the hobby industry.
The world would be a whole lot better off if we had a few more individuals similar to those that make Semroc the great company it is !
Semroc already has me as a lifelong customer and with acts like this, I am sure they will continue to add lifelong customers.

There is no question that Semroc will do the right thing every time; it amazes me how often they go above and beyond anything anyone would ever expect and often with Star-Trekkian replicator speed.

I have given up thinking that one formerly great particular company that we all know will ever learn anything about satisying customers. If they were 10% as concerned with their customers as Semroc is, I'd bet they would have 80% less complaining about them.

Mikus
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Very cool. Kudos to Semroc.

Signed,
A satisfied owner of several Semroc kits

JRThro
10-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Ed,

Sorry for the confusion. Guess I should have put a note in the boxes.
SuperSaber had the same questions. We read on TRF that you and SuperSaber
had ordered and paid for an Orbital Transport but didn't receive one. We
thought you both should have one even if it isn't from PD Rocketry.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sheryl
Wow! That's absolutely fantastic!

foose4string
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Way to go Semroc! Good stuff. ;)

Eagle3
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Every time I start to regret not being into rocketry back in the "good old days" of Vern, Lee, Harry, etc., I need to remind myself with folks like the McLawhorns in the hobby, I may very well be living in the better old days.

Us old farts like to lament about those Golden Years, but I truly believe those years are now. Never in my wildest dreams back then would I have imagined the resources we now have available. Semroc is in a class of their own, but we also have many other vendors with kits, motors, electronics, and more that really make right now the "Golden Years". I'm just enjoying it as much as I can . :)

STRMan
10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
If we could have the kits available today with the BP engine selection of yesteryear, most of us would be in heaven!

ghrocketman
10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
+1 to what STRman said !

Doug Sams
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
If we could have the kits available today with the BP engine selection of yesteryear, most of us would be in heaven!Let's refine that. While I want B14-0's, 1/2A3-0T's, and a few others, I don't want to give up all the newer, better stuff we have now that they didn't have back then. When I first started, Estes' C motors were brand new, they had no D or E motors, and the T motors weren't out yet. I want some of the old stuff, but I want to keep the new stuff, too :D

Doug

Rustee
10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Semroc has been absolutely fantastic to deal with,from the freebie rockets to after-sales service to the Golden Scout tribute-I suppose we all think about "back then" but you can get great kits "right now" like my Centuri Space Shuttle I flew in '77. I'm actually happier to get new kits from Semroc and dive into them than to find rare old kits that I wouldn't dare open! Well,you can do both...