PDA

View Full Version : Estes Kadet needed really bad!!!

mrhemi1971
10-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Guys,

PLEASE help me find an Estes KADET...the one with the plastic fin can and nose.. made in the early to mid eighties...

Here's the Nifinger link....http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes84/84est20.html

thanks!

gpoehlein
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
You can get pretty close with existing Estes kits. The exact parts aren't available, but current parts are close enough that few will notice the difference. Try this:

Nose cone - PNC-50YR (Nova Payloader or several other models)
Fin Can - Skywriter plastic fin can
Body Tube - 9.5" BT-50

You'll have to create the decal, but otherwise I think the result will be pretty good.

Greg

dwmzmm
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I was going to say the Estes Kadet looks exactly like the generic Estes E2X model(s). As Greg mentioned, you'll have to make your own decals (or you can check with Tango Papa
Decals as I'm sure he can make one for you).

barone
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
I was going to say the Estes Kadet looks exactly like the generic Estes E2X model(s). As Greg mentioned, you'll have to make your own decals (or you can check with Tango Papa
Decals as I'm sure he can make one for you).
Seems we've got a Kadet decal on the forum somewhere don't we? Didn't someone go through this last year? Bill? Let me check.....

Edit......Decals can be found here.....

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1328/est1328.htm

Royatl
10-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Guys,

PLEASE help me find an Estes KADET...the one with the plastic fin can and nose.. made in the early to mid eighties...

Here's the Nifinger link....http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes84/84est20.html

thanks!

I've got an orange version of the Kadet's parts (i.e. the Challenger-1), though the nose cone looks like it sat in some paint thinner of some kind for awhile. As was mentioned, there are modern versions of the parts, but they are not really the same. The nose cone was a two-half nose (vs. today's "Centuri-style" cone + base), and the fin can was slightly different but can't think of the differences at the moment.

Green Dragon
10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Roy would be correct here, if you are a purist.

The diamond airfoil fincan, and 2 piece cone would be needed, both getting hard to find.

I did print the KADET decal last summer, for a pending clone, could lieky print a few extra sets, would have to see if the file is still around here, the one I have looks good.
It is posted, since I got the scan ofline, and only needs a little tweaking as I recall.

Happy cloning, and post pics :)

~ AL

mrhemi1971
10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I really DON'T want to build a clone, It's kind of important to me that it's an original KADET kit. But thanks for the suggestions

gpoehlein
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I really DON'T want to build a clone, It's kind of important to me that it's an original KADET kit. But thanks for the suggestions

In that case, you're probably gonna have to haunt Ebay. Good Luck! :)

Greg

mn-rocketry
10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
There was an original Kadet kit on Ebay a couple weeks ago. Sold for over $30, IIRC.

A Kadet was the 2nd rocket that I ever built, but the first rocket that I ever launched.

Alan