PDA

View Full Version : Jay's up to no good... again

Tau Zero
09-09-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Z7NV6NAKH5IC/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-2201348-5528834?%5Fencoding=UTF8

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-09-2005, 12:45 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Z7NV6NAKH5IC/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-2201348-5528834?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Good times. I can burn you a copy of the whole Shooting Star collection if you want. I've got The Sweet's greatest hits that I can also burn. Let me know. :cool:

Tau Zero
09-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I can burn you a copy of the whole Shooting Star collection if you want.
I was searching Amazon for "Burning" when I first stumbled across your reviews. "What the...!"

I've got The Sweet's greatest hits that I can also burn. Let me know. :cool:
I'll get back with you on that. BTW, how's the whole house moving thing going?

<Begin subliminal message>
HAPPY FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY IN A WEEK, ALREADY! :D
<End subliminal message>

(whistling tunelessly)

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I got an e-mail at work one night last week from a guy I graduated from high school with. He was reading reviews on the Angels/Angel City and saw my name on one. (Now he doesn't have to buy them from Australia like I did. :eek: :cool:) Who would have ever thought that someone would recognize a name that they haven't given a thought to in 25 years just by reading an Amazon review? Pretty cool, if you ask me.
The move has stalled due to our having no buyer for the old house, but Maria says we can manage it. :confused: I'm taking the next offer even if it's a bottle cap collection. :D We're having a new matress and box spring delivered on Saturday, and the cable guy is coming on Monday, so I guess we'll be living a "Spartan" life for a while until the other house sells and we can REALLY move.
Wait. What was that? Why do I suddenly feel old?

Tau Zero
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Good times. I can burn you a copy of the whole Shooting Star collection if you want. I've got The Sweet's greatest hits that I can also burn. Let me know. :cool:Got any Alan Parsons? After my short-lived subscription to Napster, I thought it was intriguing that I enjoyed so many of his songs... what, with me liking synthesizers, and all. :rolleyes:

In direct contrast to ELP, IMHO. ("Keith! Change the sound, already!")

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Got any Alan Parsons? After my short-lived subscription to Napster, I thought it was intriguing that I enjoyed so many of his songs... what, with me liking synthesizers, and all. :rolleyes:

In direct contrast to ELP, IMHO. ("Keith! Change the sound, already!")

--Jay

I have most of the APP from the late 70's up through the mid 80's. I've got an ELP box set, but I wouldn't recommend it.

EchoVictor
09-09-2005, 09:13 AM
... what, with me liking synthesizers, and all. :rolleyes:
--Jay

Jay,

if you like synthesizers, might I recommend a source of some new stuff?

A Different Drum records (http://www.adifferentdrum.com/) is a small label out of Utah that strictly deals with "synthpop", carrying new groups that have sounds like the old faves (OMD, Depeche Mode, Erasure). Heck, they even recently signed Real Life. Remember "Send Me An Angel"?

Later,
EV

Tweener
09-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Got any Alan Parsons? <snip>

--Jay
OMG! A fellow Centuri fanatic AND APP lover. Are you sure you're not my Good twin? (If I have a twin, I know I'm the Evil one.) I have every Alan Parsons Project and Alan Parsons (post project) album from "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" to "On Air" only lacking "The Time Machine" and "A Valid Path" now. I'm mostly hooked on his wonderous instrumental pieces that every album has at least one or two of. I've bought most without ever hearing a track, and have never been disappointed.

CPMcGraw
09-09-2005, 07:01 PM
OMG! A fellow Centuri fanatic AND APP lover. Are you sure you're not my Good twin? (If I have a twin, I know I'm the Evil one.) I have every Alan Parsons Project and Alan Parsons (post project) album from "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" to "On Air" only lacking "The Time Machine" and "A Valid Path" now. I'm mostly hooked on his wonderous instrumental pieces that every album has at least one or two of. I've bought most without ever hearing a track, and have never been disappointed.

Twins? Try triplets!

I have "The Time Machine", which is not APP, but just AP (post-breakup with Wolfson), but I have not heard about "A Valid Path". Is this another post-Project album?

Tweener
09-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Twins? Try triplets!

I have "The Time Machine", which is not APP, but just AP (post-breakup with Wolfson), but I have not heard about "A Valid Path". Is this another post-Project album?
Yes, here's a link to a review. http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/ParsonsAlanValidPathCD.htm
Evidently it's an all synthesis album with many intrumentals. They have a few sample MP3's downloadable at the bottom. I think I'll get it!

Tau Zero
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
if you like synthesizers, might I recommend a source of some new stuff?

A Different Drum records (http://www.adifferentdrum.com/) is a small label out of Utah that strictly deals with "synthpop", carrying new groups that have sounds like the old faves (OMD, Depeche Mode, Erasure).
Dear EV,

Thanks for the suggestion! If I'd known about this label a month ago, I could've smuggled some CD's back across the Idaho border after our trip to Salt Lake City. :eek:

I was always amused by the name "Orchestral Manoeuvres (sp.?) in the Dark." ;)

Heck, they even recently signed Real Life. Remember "Send Me An Angel"?
Yeah, wasn't that on the soundtrack to the movie "Mannequin?" :confused: My wife and I saw that movie at one of the two real honest-to-gosh drive-ins here in town *very* early in our marriage. (I can't remember if that was the same time we went to see "The Rocketeer," or not.)

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Dear Lance,

OMG! A fellow Centuri fanatic AND APP lover. [snip]

I have every Alan Parsons Project and Alan Parsons (post project) album from "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" to "On Air" only lacking "The Time Machine" and "A Valid Path" now. I'm mostly hooked on his wonderous instrumental pieces that every album has at least one or two of. I've bought most without ever hearing a track, and have never been disappointed.
I don't think I qualify as a fan (just yet), but I'll probably put a couple of his CD's on my Christmas wish list this year. IIRC, somebody played me an instrumental of his, and said, "It's science fiction." I responded, "How do you know? Where are the sci-fi lyrics?" ;) :D (I think it was well before "I, Robot," but I can't distinctly recall.)

Actually, my favorite bands seem to be Rush (since "Permanent Waves," 1980) and Boston (everything they've done). My list of favorite 1970's artists featuring synthesizers includes Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, Gary Wright, and several others I can't remember just now.

However, the CD which is monopolizing most of my listening right now is Saga's _Silent Knight,_ which opens with the haunting track "Don't Be Late" (the first Saga song I ever heard in 1980-81). They do an excellent job of combining powerful rock guitar with multi-layered (but not overwhelming) keyboards. The singer, bassist, and drummer are no slouches, either. :D

Are you sure you're not my Good twin? (If I have a twin, I know I'm the Evil one.).
I'd have to thumb wrestle you over that. ;) :D I'm the 6 O'clock News, remember? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Twins? Try triplets!

I thought you were an Abba guy. :confused:
:D

CPMcGraw
09-12-2005, 01:36 AM
I thought you were an Abba guy. :confused:
:D

ABBA, TPF, Moody Blues, APP & AP, Poco, Eagles, a little ELP, ELO, ON-J, AKUS, Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Rhonda Vincent...

Add to this list Gordon Lightfoot, too...

I'm all over the place...

CPMcGraw
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Yes, here's a link to a review. http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/ParsonsAlanValidPathCD.htm
Evidently it's an all synthesis album with many intrumentals. They have a few sample MP3's downloadable at the bottom. I think I'll get it!

WOW! :eek:

I just played the "Tunguska" clip...

It's a fusion of Momentary Lapse of Reason , The Division Bell, and The Time Machine! David Gilmore is clearly on that one...

(Lips dripping...) I know what I'll be looking for next trip to the Malls... :D

Tweener
09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I think I probably became an Alan Parsons fan because he had only released two albums when I discovered him, and I was just coming to the age when summer jobs made albums affordable. We had an 8 track tape player set up in the locker room during football season and played different stuff while getting prepped for practices and home games. Someone brought in "I, Robot" and I was hooked. Have to say though that "Eve" and "Gaudi" are my least favorite of the bunch. There are only maybe 2 really good tracks on each.

My other faves are Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, and Styx. Though Boston, Journey, Foreigner, and Lover Boy are right up there too. I've also been known to indulge in things like Kid Rock, Tool, The Cure and Alice In Chains. Never really got into much straight country, but I liked the bluegrass "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Bottom Boys. As far as pure rap goes, I have been known to make remarks including the word "sucks" among others that can't be included in a family forum. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
WOW! :eek:

I just played the "Tunguska" clip...

It's a fusion of Momentary Lapse of Reason , The Division Bell, and The Time Machine! David Gilmore is clearly on that one...

(Lips dripping...) I know what I'll be looking for next trip to the Malls... :D

David Gilmour even makes Paul McCartney's solo stuff listenable. Almost. I take it that you've heard Meddle?
Check Amazon and Half.com before you go malling. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I think I probably became an Alan Parsons fan because he had only released two albums when I discovered him, and I was just coming to the age when summer jobs made albums affordable. We had an 8 track tape player set up in the locker room during football season and played different stuff while getting prepped for practices and home games. Someone brought in "I, Robot" and I was hooked. Have to say though that "Eve" and "Gaudi" are my least favorite of the bunch. There are only maybe 2 really good tracks on each.

I always liked Eve. That was the first one I heard. (Also on 8-track, but in a 1970 Nova while on my first non-chaperoned vacation. :cool: I highly recommend this as a listening option if you haven't had the chance. No better way to get introduced to new music than to alternate tapes out of your friends tape cases on a long trip.)

CPMcGraw
09-13-2005, 02:38 AM

My other faves are Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, and Styx. Though Boston, Journey, Foreigner, and Lover Boy are right up there too. I've also been known to indulge in things like Kid Rock, Tool, The Cure and Alice In Chains. Never really got into much straight country, but I liked the bluegrass "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Bottom Boys. As far as pure rap goes, I have been known to make remarks including the word "sucks" among others that can't be included in a family forum. :rolleyes:

With APP & AP, I find that I usually don't like something about the album on the first play through, as if I've missed something important and don't know what it was. But after about half-a-dozen plays, I'm usually good with it to the point that I enjoy playing it more often. :o

Ammonia Avenue was a good APP album, though. Had two hits, but the other songs are also reasonably good. I was disappointed with Gaudi, too, though it's nice to have in the collection. I've always wondered why Parsons and Gilmore didn't do additional projects together after Dark Side of the Moon. Maybe they should consider teaming up for A NEW PROJECT ALBUM... :D :cool:

The latest AKUS album Lonely Runs Both Ways is a good one from start to finish. If you liked The Soggy Bottom Boys, that was just the AKUS guys without AK... ;)

I can't take this stuff being called "country" either. Hank was country; Waylon was country; Don Williams was country; Eddie Arnold was country. What we hear today as "country" just ain't. Some of the current crop of twangers are at best an insult to the word... :mad:

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Ammonia Avenue was a good APP album, though. Had two hits, but the other songs are also reasonably good. I was disappointed with Gaudi, too, though it's nice to have in the collection. I've always wondered why Parsons and Gilmore didn't do additional projects together after Dark Side of the Moon. Maybe they should consider teaming up for A NEW PROJECT ALBUM... :D :cool:

I'd pay to hear that one. I've got both of Gilmour's solo albums and both of the non-Roger works he did as the Floyd. He's always seemed a bit directionless without someone else to collaborate with. He always seems to manage one decent song and a few okay ones, but mostly the projects wind up sounding like he's just noodling around. His guitar sound is one that I never get tired of. I think I remember hearing that he did some work with Kate Bush, but I've never been tempted to track any of it down.

Tweener
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I like the Andrew Powell orchestra arrangements and the saxophone solos on a lot of the AP albums. I guess you could say I'm heavy into sax and violins! :p

JRThro
09-13-2005, 05:16 PM
I'd pay to hear that one. I've got both of Gilmour's solo albums and both of the non-Roger works he did as the Floyd. He's always seemed a bit directionless without someone else to collaborate with. He always seems to manage one decent song and a few okay ones, but mostly the projects wind up sounding like he's just noodling around. His guitar sound is one that I never get tired of. I think I remember hearing that he did some work with Kate Bush, but I've never been tempted to track any of it down.
From www.allmusic.com, and I quote: "Biography by Bruce Eder
One of the most successful and popular solo female acts of the past 20 years to come out of England, Kate Bush is also one of the most unusual, with her keening vocals and unusually literate and complex body of songs. As a girl, Catherine Bush amused herself playing an organ in the barn behind her parents' house. By the time she was a teenager, Bush was writing songs of her own. A family friend, Ricky Hopper, heard her music and arranged for a demo to be recorded, which brought Bush to the attention of Pink Floyd lead guitarist David Gilmour. By the time Bush was 16, she had signed to EMI Records, though the company made the decision to bring her along slowly. She studied dance, mime, and voice, and continued writing. By 1977, she was ready to enter the recording studio and begin her formal career, which she did with an original song, "Wuthering Heights," based on material from Emily Brontë's novel. ..."

CPMcGraw
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
David Gilmour even makes Paul McCartney's solo stuff listenable. Almost. I take it that you've heard Meddle?
Check Amazon and Half.com before you go malling. :cool:

Went to FYE at the local mall today, picked up this new AP album. $19. Probably should have looked online first, but when you add the S/H, it would have been about the same...

I made a mistake in comparing the Gilmore contribution as a fusion between Division Bell and Time Machine...

Gilmore's guitar is very much Wish You Were Here - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I-VII)...

Mammagamma 04 is interesting... :eek: A super-synth remix of the original Mammagamma from Eye In The Sky...

Yes, I've heard Meddle. I have it on cassette, but I want one on CD. Just haven't done it yet...

Tau Zero
12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Seven new reviews inside of ten days. :eek: "Oh, the humanity!..." ;) :p :D

--Jay

Tau Zero
10-15-2007, 12:27 AM
After a nearly two-year recess, here I go... *again.* This year, I signed up for my public library's adult summer reading program, and I had to write up brief recommendations. Some of them are included at the URL below, where you'll find half a dozen new reviews for your perusal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Z7NV6NAKH5IC/103-3645860-3819848?ie=UTF8&display=public&sort%5Fby=MostRecentReview&page=1

Cheers,