PDA

View Full Version : New Estes Saturn 1b?

Ltvscout
03-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Yesterday a dude on TRF posted he was told by his hobby shop that Estes was going to release a new 1b. Today he added this to it:

"Hi guy/gals! I got more info on the Saturn 1B kit. It is part number: EST2229 & its the 1/70 scale model. This is all I know.
Yes-the 1/100 would have been nice but what can you do-its 2005!
Thanks!
hobbyman"

I checked with my source and he said he hasn't heard anything about a 1b coming out. He did say that two new Estes kits were going to be announced soon, but he can't tell me what they are until Monday. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear more on this.

Initiator001
03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Interesting.

Why this kit (1/70th Saturn 1B)? It was not the easiest to build.

The motor configuration will be interesting. Will it be 4x18mm motors?

Bob

Ltvscout
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Interesting.

Why this kit (1/70th Saturn 1B)? It was not the easiest to build.

The motor configuration will be interesting. Will it be 4x18mm motors?

Bob
Bob,

I honestly don't know. I still don't really believe it myself. You can read the whole thread yourself at TRF in the Coffee House forum. I never heard of the guy that started the post. It could just be a troll. My hobby insider, who you'd know if I told you his name but I'm sworn to secrecy, knows nothing about this. He's been quite accurate all along and I'd tend to believe him over this other no name dude.

I am told there are two new Estes kits coming out which I can tell you about next week.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Are you told if they'll be new kits or reissues?

UMRS
03-16-2005, 07:13 AM
I also have a pretty reliable source at Estes who confirmed Scotts information. I was also told they were not happy with the sales of the re issued Saturn V. If they come out with the 1B that would be nice. Like I said this is a "source" so who actually knows.

Ltvscout
03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
New kits. One is a regular kit, the other is an 1800 series, RTF.

UMRS
03-17-2005, 10:16 AM
I still cant help thinking this is an "April Fools" gag. I guess Im in the "When I see it I will believe it crowd".

Ltvscout
03-17-2005, 05:32 PM
As it turned out, one was new, the other was a re-issue.

tbzep
03-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I still cant help thinking this is an "April Fools" gag. I guess Im in the "When I see it I will believe it crowd".

One of the TRF members even gave an Estes part number of EST2229 and a scale of 1/70. If somebody is yankin' his chain, it would seem that the practical joker is inside the industry.

Ltvscout
03-20-2005, 08:33 AM
One of the TRF members even gave an Estes part number of EST2229 and a scale of 1/70. If somebody is yankin' his chain, it would seem that the practical joker is inside the industry.
Ya, but there's still inconsistencies in his story. I asked him for the retail price, he hasn't answered that one yet. Estes doesn't release part #'s without the price. Also, the highest kit number that Estes now has is #2196, which was assigned to their upcoming Maxi-SpaceShipOne. They don't jump part #'s like that.

tbzep
03-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Ya, but there's still inconsistencies in his story. I asked him for the retail price, he hasn't answered that one yet. Estes doesn't release part #'s without the price. Also, the highest kit number that Estes now has is #2196, which was assigned to their upcoming Maxi-SpaceShipOne. They don't jump part #'s like that.

It does seem odd. I just don't understand why the guy would post it unless it's true or he just wants to stir the pot. With the odd part numbering and lack of price, it sounds more and more like he's just stirring the pot.

If it is true, I hope it's a built up kit along the lines of the original 1/70 kit. I'd rather them not release the heavy duty version they built and flew back around the NCR days. Apogee already did the HPR version anyway.

dtomko
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
I know the Apogee kit is pricey - too much for me, anyway - but these days, how much cheaper can an Estes kit of this size be? The Sat V retails for, what, around $99? I can't imagine a 1/70 Sat 1B will be cheaper. At any rate, once Paul Graf finishes his 1/100 Sat 1B vac form and resin pieces, cloning the 1/100 size will be practical.
Drew Tomko

P.S.
Tim, nice avatar!

tbzep
03-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I know the Apogee kit is pricey - too much for me, anyway - but these days, how much cheaper can an Estes kit of this size be? The Sat V retails for, what, around $99? I can't imagine a 1/70 Sat 1B will be cheaper. At any rate, once Paul Graf finishes his 1/100 Sat 1B vac form and resin pieces, cloning the 1/100 size will be practical.
Drew Tomko

P.S.
Tim, nice avatar!

I expect it will have a higher MSRP than the Saturn V just because it's much more complex. I hope they can keep it under $100...of course it's just vaporware right now.

I think the Estes version's MSRP (assuming it won't be vaporware forever) will have to be significantly lower than the Apogee version or it just won't sell at all. The vast majority of people willing to spend big bucks on a rocket are into HPR and will want to fly it on composite motors. Apogee already has that market cornered with their Saturn V and 1B kits. Those of us on the Old Rockets list/YORF will probably want a classic light weight structure with a motor mount able to handle various black powder clusters from the original 4 x 18mm to 4 x 24mm and anything in between. That's what I want anyway.

rokitflite
03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
The 1-B rumor is true. Estes is working on a kit right now. They have not fully worked out the motor type/configuration. It looks like it will be 1/70th scale and will HOPEFULLY be available in the not too distant future. This is what I was told by a friend who works there. :D

tbzep
03-23-2005, 07:35 PM
The 1-B rumor is true. Estes is working on a kit right now. They have not fully worked out the motor type/configuration. It looks like it will be 1/70th scale and will HOPEFULLY be available in the not too distant future. This is what I was told by a friend who works there. :D

Cool. The motor configuration should be the easy part. Just design it for an interchangable motor mount system and include a double or triple 24mm mount. Let the masses build whatever other configuration they want to use. :cool:

stefanj
03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I have an original Estes 1/70th Saturn Ib. I did a crappy job on it decades ago, and hope to rebuild it. One of the things holding me back are the fins. The original has fins had paper skins glued over balsa frames.

I'm going to guess that the new fins will be vacc-formed plastic. If so, it should be possible to adapt them to the old model.

dwmzmm
04-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Hello all. This is my first post, but many of you may already know me from the various
Yahoo rocketry related servers. My thanks to Scott Hansen for inviting me to this forum.

Should Estes come out with a new 1/70 scaled Saturn 1-B, it should be clustered. I am
currently testing QuickBurst's new Hot Shot igniters designed specifically for the 18 mm
and 24 mm BP motors...have already used the standard Hot Shots recently on my
Maxi-Alphax4 (four engine 24 mm clustered) and own design/built 28 year old Saturn - IV/
Astrocam (also four engine clustered, one 24 mm and three 18 mm), with excellent
results. You can see the liftoff pic of the Maxi-Alphax4 at JSC here:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/album09/Picture_392?full=1

More coming, stay tuned...

Dave, NAR # 21853 SR., Team # 040

Ltvscout
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Hello all. This is my first post, but many of you may already know me from the various
Yahoo rocketry related servers. My thanks to Scott Hansen for inviting me to this forum.
Welcome, Dave! One nice thing about this forum is that you can upload pictures right into your messages, should you want to do it that way.

dwmzmm
04-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks, Scott! I'm still pretty much in the "learning mode" when it comes to using computers and how they work. When I first uploaded my pics of the Challenger 498
Section's club launch from January 9th, it took me hours to figure out how to do it and
when all was done, my neck and shoulders (and back) were killing me like I've never
felt before!! Maybe in time I'll figure out how to post the pics here directly. Until then,
I'll use the exact web address to the pics I have in mind. Thanks again, and I'm really
excited about our hobby (more so than before I went AWOL in 1982!).

JLH
06-08-2005, 02:53 AM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.ehobbies.com/est2229.html

Is there any better news on this?

Jerry

dtomko
06-08-2005, 06:54 AM
there was some discussion over at TRF:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17696&highlight=estes+saturn+1b
Fall 2006 is a long time away; it seems less and less likely we will see this.
Drew Tomko

wildman33
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM

It's not a joke.

http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/estes_model_rockets.htm

dwmzmm
04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
It's not a joke.

http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/estes_model_rockets.htm

Are you sure it's no joke?! Red Arrow Hobbies website simply won't load on my computer
(and I have DSL).....

wildman33
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Are you sure it's no joke?! Red Arrow Hobbies website simply won't load on my computer
(and I have DSL).....

Here's a copy of the red arrow page.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/orosco82airborne/Animations/redarrow.jpg

dwmzmm
04-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok, I finally got it up. I was really hoping for the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B (so I can once and
for all retire my Centuri model; afterall, it's done well since 1971!). It'll be interesting to see
how the Estes re-released 1/70 model compares to SEMROC's. I still have the original Estes
1/70 ("in-the-box") in my collection.....

wildman33
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Ok, I finally got it up. I was really hoping for the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B (so I can once and
for all retire my Centuri model; afterall, it's done well since 1971!). It'll be interesting to see
how the Estes re-released 1/70 model compares to SEMROC's. I still have the original Estes
1/70 ("in-the-box") in my collection.....

I was hoping the same thing. I still plan on getting SEMROC'S Saturn 1-B, I was hoping Estes would release the Saturn V.

dwmzmm
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I was hoping the same thing. I still plan on getting SEMROC'S Saturn 1-B, I was hoping Estes would release the Saturn V.

At the Makers Faire in Austin last October, Estes had the 1/100 Saturn 1-B on display, so
that's why I was hoping for that scale....

Ltvscout
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
That page on Red Arrow is from a couple of years ago when Estes had announced those kits. They've since been removed from their lineup becoming vaporware. RA just never updated their page.

wildman33
04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
That page on Red Arrow is from a couple of years ago when Estes had announced those kits. They've since been removed from their lineup becoming vaporware. RA just never updated their page.

Thank you for the information.

Rocket Doctor
04-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the information.

Saturn V and Satrun 1 - B on the back burner....

wildman33
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Saturn V and Satrun 1 - B on the back burner....

Rocket Doctor. Thank you for letting us know.

mtbdave3
07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I have an estes saturn 1B rocket kit # k-29 from 1975 that I never built. And was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it. you can email me at mtbdave3@yahoo.com. I will be more than happy to send pics of this kit. It's all there and has never been built.

dwmzmm
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I have an estes saturn 1B rocket kit # k-29 from 1975 that I never built. And was wondering if anyone would interested buy it. you can email me at mtbdave3@yahoo.com. I will be more than happy to send pics of this kit. It's all there and has never been built.

Wow, you're in possession of a piece of treasure! I recently built my Estes K-29 kit (but substituted the Apogee Apollo Capsule/LES & RCS nozzles) and made some detailing improvements. But the model will not fly; I'm keeping her static and will build a SEMROC Saturn 1-B for flight instead.

mtbdave3
07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
here are some pics of the Estes K-29 Saturn B1 kit.

mtbdave3
07-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow, you're in possession of a piece of treasure! I recently built my Estes K-29 kit (but substituted the Apogee Apollo Capsule/LES & RCS nozzles) and made some detailing improvements. But the model will not fly; I'm keeping her static and will build a SEMROC Saturn 1-B for flight instead.

That is really nice, good job!!!

dwmzmm
07-16-2010, 10:59 PM
here are some pics of the Estes K-29 Saturn B1 kit.

My box was similar but only had the artwork on one end; the rest of the box was plain white. I think I have a pic or two of it....let me check. Found it! I displayed the box while I was building the SEMROC Saturn 1-B for the Apollo - 7 event in Dallas (October 2008).....

mtbdave3
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
My box was similar but only had the artwork on one end; the rest of the box was plain white. I think I have a pic or two of it....let me check. Found it! I displayed the box while I was building the SEMROC Saturn 1-B for the Apollo - 7 event in Dallas (October 2008).....
the outside label on the box was fixed with tape... maybe yours fell off?

rocketguy101
07-17-2010, 01:31 AM
the outside label on the box was fixed with tape... maybe yours fell off?
Mine is plain as well w/ artwork on one end. It has been stored inside the original shipping box (which is pretty much a slip-fit) for 37 years and no label could fall off.

I took these pictures when I marveled at how Semroc was able to pack their Saturn 1B into a smaller box

mtbdave3
07-17-2010, 07:01 AM
here are some more pics of the box. You can see that the label was taped on and the copy right is 1975.

dwmzmm
07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Back in the late 1970's or early 1980's (I can't remember exactly when) I placed an ad in The Model Rocketeer (what Sport Rocketry was called then) to buy the K-29 kit from any who was willing to sell theirs. Some guy (from Indiana, I think) answered the ad (much to my surprise, as I really didn't think anyone would want to sell such a great model!) and asked me to make an offer. If I recall, I think I offered somewhere around $40 plus shipping, and he accepted. The box (as pictured in my last post) is how it came. As a bonus, he even included the balsa nosecone that went to the Estes Gemini-Titan kit (which I later used for my PDRocketry GT-3 build many years later)...... :D

p.s. That K-29 model ended up in storage until just a couple of years ago (over 20 years) before I finally got around to building it. I didn't use the decals that came with the kit; ordered the decals from SEMROC.

dwmzmm
07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Mine is plain as well w/ artwork on one end. It has been stored inside the original shipping box (which is pretty much a slip-fit) for 37 years and no label could fall off.

I took these pictures when I marveled at how Semroc was able to pack their Saturn 1B into a smaller box

Great pics David!

mtbdave3
07-17-2010, 09:27 AM
the decals in this kit have a little yellow tint to them, I'm not sure if it's the decals or the paper thier on?

dwmzmm
07-17-2010, 10:05 AM
the decals in this kit have a little yellow tint to them, I'm not sure if it's the decals or the paper thier on?

Old decals will tend to become brittle and come apart; however, when I built my vintage Centuri Saturn - V about 4 years ago, I noticed the gloss coating on the original decal sheet still looked brand new (even though it had been in the box for some 20+ years) and was able to use them without any problems. But I didn't want to take the chance with the K-29 Saturn 1-B and used the SEMROC decals instead.

tbzep
07-17-2010, 10:25 AM

If you decide to use them, tape them face out to a window to get some direct sunlight for a few days. It will get rid of the yellowing on the decal, but the backing paper may still show some yellowing. When you are ready to apply, coat them with Microscale Liquid Decal Film to keep them from disintegrating. You will have to cut each decal individually after the application.

sandman
07-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I never bothered to redraw the Saturn 1b in 1/70th scale.

SEMROC already has them if you need replacements.