PDA

View Full Version : Dorffler on Cineroc

Royatl
11-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to point out a great article in the new Sport Rocketry. Mike Dorffler talks about the genesis of the Cineroc. Since I recently came into possession of my first Cineroc, I was fascinated by the article. I won't spoil the article for readers except to say I especially liked the photo of Moose Lavigne standing next to the Delta (the real one, not the Estes one!) with the small camera hood on the side with Mike's signature on it.

Ltvscout
11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Heh, hear that, Kurt?

kurtschachner
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Heh, hear that, Kurt?

Oh yeah, I saw that. I WAS going to comment, but I thought I'd let sleeping wolverines lie :rolleyes:

Initiator001
11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I received the Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry on Wednesday.

I'm looking forward to reading the Cineroc article.

SR has run articles on the Camroc and now the Cineroc. Can the Transroc be next? ;)

Bob

Race58
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Now that's not fair. Iquiring minds want to know. ;) :) Oh yeah, I saw that. I WAS going to comment, but I thought I'd let sleeping wolverines lie :rolleyes:

kurtschachner
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Now that's not fair. Iquiring minds want to know. ;) :)

I shouldn't go into details on a public fourm, especially when Mr. Dorffler is rumored to be a member of this board. I'll just say I tried to write that article 10 years ago but I was not able to do so. It is a funny story however.

Did Mike write the article himself or was it written by someone else?

Race58
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Understood Kurt, Thanks. :) I shouldn't go into details on a public fourm, especially when Mr. Dorffler is rumored to be a member of this board. I'll just say I tried to write that article 10 years ago but I was not able to do so. It is a funny story however.

Royatl
11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I shouldn't go into details on a public fourm, especially when Mr. Dorffler is rumored to be a member of this board. I'll just say I tried to write that article 10 years ago but I was not able to do so. It is a funny story however.

CINEROC: The First Cineroc Takes Flight! by Mike Dorffler

first paragraph:
"It was about 1:00 in the afternoon on Easter Sunday 1968. The weather was perfect. I had parked and set up my launch pad on the east end of the Eustis, Nebraska, high school football field. I hooked up the ignition system to the car battery, made some last checks, and slid my two-stage movie camera rocket down the launch rod and onto the deflector."

... and it goes on that way as a narrative of the creation of the prototype Cineroc and up to his eventual employment with Estes. He doesn't say a thing about anything after that, except for watching the footage from the Mars Opportunity launch on CNN.