PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get the YORF Auction Site Restarted!

sandman
11-17-2008, 09:18 AM
With Greedbay being what it is, let's get it working again!

Scott, how about a quick link to it from here?

Make it easy and we'll use it! :)

sandman
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
There!

I posted an item in the auction, just to get things moving!

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?action=disp&disp=allnew

barone
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Oh Gordy....now I'm going to have to go thru my stash and see what I want to give up.....Still got some FSI stuff no one wants.... :(

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM

I'll post a sticky in this forum with the direct link.

If people out there are interested in this, I'll upgrade to the newer version of software. You can view of demo of it here:

http://www.auction-script.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl

As you can see, the new version is a lot "prettier" and has many more ebay-like features.

The nice thing about it is I feel it is easier to use than both ROL's and Rocketry Planet's current auctions. It is a free auction site like theirs as well.

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
There!

I posted an item in the auction, just to get things moving!

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?action=disp&disp=allnew
Whoa! That's a bargain starting bid for that kit! If other people don't bid on it, I know I will!

cas2047
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
If people out there are interested in this, I'll upgrade to the newer version of software. You can view of demo of it here:

http://www.auction-script.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl

As you can see, the new version is a lot "prettier" and has many more ebay-like features.

Hey I really like that newer version. I hope the whole thing catches on and you are able to get that version into production.

By the way someone placed that first bid. I think I know the guy too. :rolleyes:

gilatrout
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Whoa! That's a bargain starting bid for that kit! If other people don't bid on it, I know I will!

Game on!

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey I really like that newer version. I hope the whole thing catches on and you are able to get that version into production.
I've got no problem doing the update. I first want to see that the auction site will be being used again though.

I see 3 different people bidding on that DST so far. ;)

Is the system sending you your notices when you bid or are outbid? I haven't used the thing in years so want to make sure that's still working. :chuckle:

gilatrout
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Is the system sending you your notices when you bid or are outbid?

Yes dang it.

Maybe this will get Sandman the extra $ he needs to reissue some of his classics? ;)

tbzep
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Of course, Greedbay/ePray will still make money each time we use PayPal to pay for the items. Unless the buyer keeps a positive balance instead of drawing from the CC or checking account, the seller gets stuck with a percentage of the purchase. That ticks me off. The buyer doesn't have a balance, so he should be charged the percentage. :mad:

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Of course, Greedbay/ePray will still make money each time we use PayPal to pay for the items. Unless the buyer keeps a positive balance instead of drawing from the CC or checking account, the seller gets stuck with a percentage of the purchase. That ticks me off. The buyer doesn't have a balance, so he should be charged the percentage. :mad:
At least I'm not requiring paypal on the auction site like eBay either is now, or will be shortly. ;) People can still pay via check, money order or cash should the seller allow it.

cas2047
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Is the system sending you your notices when you bid or are outbid? I haven't used the thing in years so want to make sure that's still working. :chuckle:

At first I didn't think I was getting the high bidder or outbid notices, but a quick check of my junk email folder showed that the messages went there. I had to add the sender to my safe sender list and should receive those emails in my inbox from now on.

One thing that's kind of funny about the software is that when I click on the high bidders ID it opens a new email message with that persons email address in the send to box. Also I don't see anywhere to view the bid history info. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for that though. This isn't meant as criticism, just observations of how the software works.

tbzep
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
At least I'm not requiring paypal on the auction site like eBay either is now, or will be shortly. ;) People can still pay via check, money order or cash should the seller allow it.

I love the convenience of PayPal. I just hate the fee percentages that go up every other day just like eBay's fees. It's not that big a deal until you sell something fairly expensive. I sold a motorcycle helmet and got hit for about $40 in no-balance fees, eBay sales fees and currency exchange fees.

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
One thing that's kind of funny about the software is that when I click on the high bidders ID it opens a new email message with that persons email address in the send to box.
That's just the way this old software works. It's how you're able to contact the seller. The new version if MUCH more refined with a ton more options. You can even have fixed price items that repost themselves. Similar to eBay Store.

To find a person's feedback just click on the number for the feedback rating next to their name.

Also I don't see anywhere to view the bid history info. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for that though. This isn't meant as criticism, just observations of how the software works.
Right under First Bid(on the top right side) it has # of Bids. To the right of that you can click on Bid History. This software also does not hide bidders like eBay now does. I find that to be highly annoying.

Help get the word out about the resurgence of the YORS auctions. When I see it being used again I'll upgrade the software.

cas2047
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the clarifications Scott and here's hoping that the auctions catch on. I'd really like to be able to buy and maybe even sell rocketry related items OFF of ebay. :)

kurtschachner
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Ya, but you're still skimming off the top, right?

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Ya, but you're still skimming off the top, right?
Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone about my scam! That's supposed to be a secret!

Actually, way back in the olden days when I manually ran the auction (people emailed me bids and I manually updated the website multiple times a day), I did charge a small fee to those that wanted me to post their items for sale on my site. That was only to offset the time I had to spend updating the site manually all day long. Ever since I want to the automated auction software back around '01 or '02, whenever it was, the auction has been completely free.

sandman
11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
OK, the bidding has started but BTW. I'm not real familiar with this site yest so I don't know how to edit my auction.

No big deal it's just the shipping amount. I forgot to put it in.

A flat $5 shipping for Ptiority mail.

Pretty easy when you're the only auction. :D

barone
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
OK, the bidding has started but BTW. I'm not real familiar with this site yest so I don't know how to edit my auction.

No big deal it's just the shipping amount. I forgot to put it in.

A flat $5 shipping for Ptiority mail.

Pretty easy when you're the only auction. :D
Wow...how can you ship it so cheaply? Seems like it's going to take a rather large package....

sandman
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow...how can you ship it so cheaply? Seems like it's going to take a rather large package....

Oh, I just fold it in half. :rolleyes:

Really it's not oversized. Priority Mail is only $4.80 and the box cost me, I think, $0.54, so I'm only out $0.04.

barone
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh, I just fold it in half. :rolleyes:

Really it's not oversized. Priority Mail is only $4.80 and the box cost me, I think, $0.54, so I'm only out $0.04.
lol....Hey Scott....what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to load some FSI stuff but it's not recognizing my password. I thought maybe I needed to register on the auction site but it said that user already exist. :confused:

barone
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Never mind Scott.....It wanted my REALLY OLD password... :o

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
lol....Hey Scott....what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to load some FSI stuff but it's not recognizing my password. I thought maybe I needed to register on the auction site but it said that user already exist. :confused:
That's because you were a user of the auction long ago. ;) Try your old passwords. If you don't hit on it just PM or email me with what you want your new password to be and I can change it for you. That new auction software will do all that automatically for you.

Ltvscout
11-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Read the top part of your auction carefully. You'll see a line that says, "Seller: You may revise this item if you wish." Just click on the word revise to edit your auction description.