PDA

View Full Version : Cygnus&Black Hole Probes

Rustee
11-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I was browsing the catalogues on the Ninfinger website and saw these two rockets (P.34,1980) and I'd like to see if anyone has these in kit form or built up. That Cygnus Probe Ship is the weirdest kit I've seen yet. Estes produced some great products in the 80's! Pics,anyone? Thanks.

Royatl
11-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I was browsing the catalogues on the Ninfinger website and saw these two rockets (P.34,1980) and I'd like to see if anyone has these in kit form or built up. That Cygnus Probe Ship is the weirdest kit I've seen yet. Estes produced some great products in the 80's! Pics,anyone? Thanks.

Supposedly there were some prototypes of the Cygnus Probe Ship made, but none ever got anywhere near production. If Mike Dorffler is lurking, maybe he can tell us the real story (or tell one of his contacts here).

The Black Hole Probe was actually a pretty nice kit.

dwmzmm
11-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I have the original Estes Black Hole kit (still "in-the-bag") that I haven't gotten around to
building (yet). The defunked PDRocketry vendor had one (a clone) that was pretty popular.
The Black Hole is a cool looking model.

scigs30
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I have the original Black Hole kit and it is a real neat looking rocket. Should be easy to clone. The nose cone is still available with the Tandem-X kit and comes with the bottom display nozzle. The outer rings are the same size as the Estes paper 5055 rings. Semroc sells the old style engine hook and the small launch lugs.

barone
11-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Carl has quite a few of the parts available to clone this. The link here shows what parts he has and lists everything you need.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=186

You can find the plans and patterns at this link....

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1426/est1426.htm

Rustee
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
So,anybody want to give one up? I'm after the weird and the wonderful,like that Dragon Ship 7 too. I didn't hock my Centuri 1B for nothing!

dwmzmm
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
So,anybody want to give one up? I'm after the weird and the wonderful,like that Dragon Ship 7 too. I didn't hock my Centuri 1B for nothing!

What?! You'd be crazy to give up that Centuri Saturn 1-B! :D

Ltvscout
11-22-2008, 10:24 PM
What?! You'd be crazy to give up that Centuri Saturn 1-B! :D
I believe he sold it on eBay.

Rustee
11-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Well,you may be right,that would be one of the ultimate collectables,but bragging rights don't pay the bills-I'm more sorry I sold my Omega K56-P I bought in January for 14.95! (You know who you are...) Yes,I put it on Ebay,it went to someone who wanted it more than I did,that's fine by me. As I've said,I was never going to build it so it would be a waste.