PDA

View Full Version : The Canaroc Starcruser Warlok project

Arley Davis
09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
For weeks I have been working on building the Canaroc Starcruser Warlock, and I have to say that it was not easy. The instructions are hard to read and understand. For example you do not know were the motor goes until you read the flight instructions, as is the case for the launch lug as will that’s were you find out the launch rod goes between the cavity of the Two Support Bulkheads. It also dose not mission that the angle cut on the Strike Vehicle body tube is a different angle than the other tubes so one side of the Strike Vehicle mounting tube needs to be cut at the same angle.

In my rocket I also added an Engine Hook and block, I also changed a couple of things for example the only rod that would fit in the cavity was a 1/8” rod and for this rocket that’s to small a launch rod. So I glued a 3/16” plastic launch lug in the cavity and then glued two Craft sticks on the sides of the Support Bulkheads after sanding the ends to match the tubes. And of Crosse I glued a 3/16” Launch Lug down between the fin section to match up with the Launch Lug between the Bulkheads.

I also wish to thank Andy Andres for the loan of the Gun Turret Panel that made this rocket a reality.

The picture was taken at our club meeting; the rocket is close to being painted.

Leo
09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow, that thing looks sweet :)

Any close-up pictures of your beauty?

Arley Davis
09-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I am sorry put no for the camera I have dose not take good close-ups so all I have is some construction pictures. Once I have the rocket finished and the decals applied I will get my brother to come over and take some better pictures of the completed rocket.

Here is a black and white picture of the rocket taken from the Canaroc Catalog; it shows a better view of all the work that goes into such a complicated rocket. In case you were wondering the glider has a 14” wing span, and there are 10 different body tubes.

EchoVictor
09-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Nice work, Arley!

How did test throws of the glider go?

For those that haven't seen it, a graphic of where the engine sits....

Later,
EV

Arley Davis
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
It dived a little and since the nose cone is an exact copy of the original it stated to slide up the tube, even the original nose cone is to small for the Boby tube. So I hollowed the nose cone out some more for I drilled out the back of my clone to make it lighter and so if needed clay could be added. Next I used J-B weld to glue the nose cone on, I figured I would test it one more time with the guns applied to the Glider to see how will it works.

barone
09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Arley,

Great looking rocket! My next endeavour if you can supply the body panels :) . If not, I guess it'll be a 'close' clone. I'm going to try the Antares also. Make sure we get a flight report.

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes I can provide the panels and other plastic parts. I was hoping to do a page of helpful hints to send with the plastic parts, so it would be easier for others to build the kit and not make some of the mistakes I did. Put I need to finish my rocket first and wait tall the first of next month for more cash.

If you want the parts I decided to sale them for $28.00 that includes 2 large panels, 1 Small Panel, 1 Gun turret Panel, the small hollowed out Glider cockpit nose cone, and the tubes to make 6 guns. I will also send you a copy of the BT-400 or BT-60 Nose cone so you can order it from Balsa Machining Services.

If you still want the parts send check or money order to my address below, It may take a week or two for I need more plastic and I am broke at this time, and will order more with the $28.00. I am sorry or I could have made up the parts now so you could have them sooner put even my Display Stands are not selling.

I forgot I will also need $4.00 for Shipping for a total of $32.00 for the Warlock Plastic Parts.

Arley Davis
C/O Spaced out Rocketry
2018 “I” Street
Omaha NE, 68107

barone
09-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks Arley.....I'm a patient person so you don't have to rush. $28 beats buying the kit for, what was it on e-bay, over $300? I'll have a check out to you tomorrow.

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Andy Told me he payed over $500.00 for the Warlok on ebay, Thats more than most Large High Power kits. I payed about $260.00 for the Ptradactyl years ago.

Arley Davis
09-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Dear Barone
I forgot the Shiping charges to send you the parts, If you can could you add $4.00 for Shiping cost, If you have sent the money already thats ok for it was my falt, I have a lot on my mind, and I will pay shipping out of my pocket.

Phred
09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Guys,

Last night, I remembered that I had this photo tucked away.

It is a professional color photo, and I was told that it was an 'official' canaroc photo taken for publicity/marketing purposes.

One half of the large print shows three Black Brant variants.... the other half is the below: A completed Starcruiser Warlock, and Starship Antares.

Enjoy!!

Phred

Arley Davis
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Will Phred that is the best image I have seen of the Warlock, so I printed it of so I could keep it. My rocket is coming along fine I just but on the second coat of Primer today.
Thanks for the picture!

barone
09-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Dear Barone
I forgot the Shiping charges to send you the parts, If you can could you add $4.00 for Shiping cost, If you have sent the money already thats ok for it was my falt, I have a lot on my mind, and I will pay shipping out of my pocket.

Arley,

Sorry, check's already in the mail. You don't need to suck up the shipping. When you're ready to mail them, let me know and I'll send you the balance. Thanks again.

Phred,

Wicked photos :) . Added them to my files too. Arley, you got this picture?

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-17-2005, 02:04 PM
First thank you! This will be my first sale, and as for the shipping I will leave that up to you for it usually cost just under $4.00. So once you receive the parts then you can send me the shipping cost back if you like.

As for the picture I ready saw the one on JimZ’s web site put it was to dark, the one you posted is nice so I printed it of on an 11 x 17 sheet of paper so I could keep it. Of the plans for Canaroc I need still to find the Orbitron rocket. But at least this rocket is on the list from Semroc, so maybe they will bring it out. I also noticed the Centuri Python Fighter is on the list as will.

As for the plastic I called my dealer and they will hold my order for me tale the money arrives then mail it out to me, this way its sure to be in stock and shipped faster.

Lastly what did you thank of the photo posted by Phred?

barone
09-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Lastly what did you thank of the photo posted by Phred?

Great picture for me. The Antares plans are kind of vague about decal placement but that photo gives a pretty good idea of where to put them.

Just finished my Antares clone today (build). Still need to prime and paint.

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-20-2005, 11:10 AM
My Warlock still needs another coat of white and the Strike Vehicle still needs a little work. But here are 2 scans of the Cruisers front section.

If you have the plans you know that the Strike Vehicle connection to the Glider support on the Cruiser is different than the original, that had four centering rings and a BT-20 body tube. I did not like this arraignment for the parachute goes in the glider and it did not look right to me. As you can see I am using a BT-50 coupler instead and I colored it with a black Sharpy, now the parachute can be placed in the Cruiser. You can also if you look closely see the Engine Hook I used, for in the original rocket the motor is friction fit.

Arley Davis
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Barone
I just finished the Plastic parts for the Warlock today and will be sending them to your return address on the letter you sent the check in today or Friday, you should have the parts by the beginning of next week.

Here is a scan of the back of my Warlock Strike Vehicle.

barone
09-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Great Arley....I believe I still owe you some money too. I'll put it in the post tomorrow. BTW, did you see this on e-bay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-ROCKET-LAUNCH-PAD-UNIQUE_W0QQitemZ6002778571QQcategoryZ2567QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
10-01-2005, 08:00 PM
No, I did not and thank you for showing it to me, but at this time I do not have the money to purchase anything. For Jacob and me are being evicted form our home, and I need every dime to but my belongings into storage, and find a roof over our heads. So my business might have to shout town for a short time and I might have to go of line until we get settled, and find a place to live. But for the next couple of weeks I will still be able to stay online, so talk to you soon, and thanks for the sale. :(

barone
10-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Barone
I just finished the Plastic parts for the Warlock today and will be sending them to your return address on the letter you sent the check in today or Friday, you should have the parts by the beginning of next week.

Arley,

Got the parts today. They're great :) ! The body panels look exactly like the ones for the Scorpion. But these are going to be soooooo much easier to use since they are preformed :D . I've ordered the other parts I need to build from Semroc and I noticed they shipped today (Carl and his crew are so quick in getting their stuff out :) ) so I should be starting my build this week. The PN-400B picture is actual size? Planning on sending to BMS so I can get it soon also. Again, these parts look great. Thanks.

For all others reading these posts, if you plan on cloning the Warlock or the Scorpion, you really need to consider getting these parts from Arley. They're exactly like the originals except they are pre-formed to fit the body tubes. A definite improvement over the original kitted parts and much easier to apply.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I've been working on this probably longer than I should have but I've finally got it to a point where I can put primer on it. Using a BT-60 nose cone from a Tangent until I can get my custom nose cone from BMS (getting two....one for a Canaroc Maxi-Challenger clone :D ). Actually shaped the cockpit nose cone myself (beginners luck :rolleyes: ). Some test glides of the Strike Vehicle shows that I'm going to need very little trimming. Will see again after all the painting is done.

Arley, the parts you supplied were great. After working with the originals on the Scorpion, it was such a breeze to use the ones you made for me. I opted to use a balsa nose cone because it fit better than the original. Thanks again.

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
10-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Don,

looks like real nice work to me.

quite complicated, good winter project (like any of us need more, lol )

look forward to seeing it finished.

~ AL

barone
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
...... good winter project (like any of us need more, lol )

Winter projects....LOL :D

Trying to get my projects painted before winter.....Maybe that's why everything is taking me so long...too many irons in the fire. Working an original Canaroc Challenger (just got base coat on today) as well as a clone of the Canaroc Orbitron and Estes mini brutes ....Mini-Bertha, Javlin, Super Flea and Screamer :rolleyes: . Half the decals are on my clone Canaroc Antares (great decals from Excelsior....thanks again Phred). I think the rest will have to wait for winter.....And still need to decal my cloned Cherokee D (again, decals from Excelsior). And then theres flying.....All these great weekends we're having here and my wife wants me to drive her around to look at the trees :eek: ! Wanted to test my new launch system (wired for 12V rechargable battery for RCs) and all I could do was burn an igniter in the living room :o . Well, at least she doesn't get upset when I stop at a hobby shop :rolleyes: . Darn.....winter projects can be another string... ;) .

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
>Winter projects....LOL :D

>Trying to get my projects painted before winter....

lol, same here, have about 10 or so in primer,half painted, various degrees of finishing, can paint a little in between rain - but humidity and cheap paint doesn't mix well either :-(

> Canaroc Orbitron

are the plans,etc for that posted someplace ? , unless I'm thinking the wrong kit - is that the long rocket with transition and sort of trapezoid fins ?

>And then theres flying.....All these great weekends we're having here and my wife wants >me to drive her around to look at the trees :eek: !

hmm. ok, now I'm gonna cry a lot, * sob * .. trade you some rain for a nice weekend ?

> Well, at least she doesn't get upset when I stop at a hobby shop :rolleyes: .

lol, opposite of here, mine is ok with all the halfbuilt kits all over the living room, ( and me building while watching the Yankees choke..err.. the ballgames), but hates going to, or waiting at hobby shops .

>Darn.....winter projects can be another string... ;) .

ok, string started

~ AL

barone
10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
> Canaroc Orbitron

are the plans,etc for that posted someplace ? , unless I'm thinking the wrong kit - is that the long rocket with transition and sort of trapezoid fins ?

You are thinking the right kit and no, plans aren't posted anywhere (at least that I know of). Trying to do it by scaling off a picture. My best guess at measurements......

16" BT-60 with transition to 20" BT-50 (it may be 16.5 and 19.5 but some of the longer BT-60s for kits that I have instructions for are 16"). I'm using a BNC-50Y sanded down to closely resemble the actual nose cone. Standard D (might go with the E) engine mount to BT-60. Two of the four fins appear to have dowels offset from them (those are going to be the hardest thing about the clone) with BT-20 tubes mounted on the ends. I've worked up a template for mounting the dowels but haven't got that far in the construction yet (you know, all those other irons).

Phred (Excelsior) put out a parts list for cloning the kit (I think it might be in the plans section). The only thing I changed was the lengths of the BTs. Looking at the picture, the upper BT-50 looks longer than the lower BT-60. And I'm using 1/8" balsa. Eventually, hope to get Phred to make up some checkerboard decals for it. I've got an extra one for the BT-50 but will need a couple for the BT-20s on the fins.

Guess I could but this on your winter projects thread..... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

barone
10-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, after spending most of yesterday trimming out the strike vehicle, I took the Warlock to the field for a flight. Also took my cloned Estes Javlin. Can't say much about either flight :( .

First sent the Javlin up on a 1/2A3-4.....but there couldn't have been a delay charge.....as soon as thrust stopped, streamer came out.....acted like a booster motor :mad: .

The Warlock, well it never got stable. I don't know if the rocket is too much weight for a D12-3 or the position of the motor makes it inheriantly unstable :confused: . Going to the post office tomorrow to see how much it actually weighs. Not too much damage to the booster. The strike vehicle took much of the hit. On the ground when the ejection charge went. Luckly never got more than 25' high. Landed nose first and shoved the strike vehicle down onto the strike vehicle mount (the resulting slots, like zippers, can probably be fixed without too much trouble). However, the strike vehicle nosecone collapsed the body tube. And the nosecone itself has been shaved thinner by the body tube. Guess I've got another winter project :rolleyes: .

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
10-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Well, after spending most of yesterday trimming out the strike vehicle, I took the Warlock to the field for a flight. Also took my cloned Estes Javlin. Can't say much about either flight :( .
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the mishap with the Warlock.

On another note. Has anyone heard from Arley lately?

barone
10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
On another note. Has anyone heard from Arley lately?

Last I heard from him, he was moving and didn't know when he'd have internet access again.

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone I am back on line after being off for 2 weeks, Because of money troubles I lost my home and am now living in a small, I mean very small apartment with my 5 year old Grandson Jacob.

And sadly no place to built rockets. Or paint them, but before I lost my house I finished the Paint job on my Warlock, So now all I have to do is place the decals on the rocket.

This might take some time for I am still unpacking and Christmas is coming up. I am also sad to here that Barone’s Warlock crashed I was also woried that the D motor was not enough motor for the rocket. I know that there is an Aerotech E motor that is the same size as a Estes D. My rocket is for display only, for it looks so cool to risk damage flying the rocket.

barone
11-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Arley.... Can I get another set of parts for the Warlock? Decided to redo the crashed one and set it for display but want to build another for flying. Thinking of putting the motor in the conventional location and using ducted venting to deploy the strike vehicle. Thanks.

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
11-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Yes Barone I am still in business and can produce you another set, This time I will take of $2.00, so the cost to you would be $26 dollars plus $4.00 for shipping for a total of $30 dollars. And thanks for I was short next month for Christmas and would like to get my grandson something special.

Even though my current address is temporary for a few months you can sent the check or money order to my address now:

Arley Davis
C/O Spaced Out Rocketry
554 South 26th Street Apt. 210
Omaha NE 68105

Also If you are interested I can let you have a Small Lunar Display Stand for $6.00 or a Large one for $13.00, with no extra for shipping, this is if you like.
Thanks!

Arley Davis
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Dear Barone

Your order is finished and you should receive your order by next week. I also added a surprise for you Marry Christmas. Your Order allowed me to purchase a V-Smile for Jacob, Thanks.