PDA

View Full Version : 3'' Centering Rings for 24mm BP

johnnwwa
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I need to find a source for 3" CR w/24mm bt50 Thin fiber or thin plywood 1/16" max. any suggestions?

John

dwmzmm
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Try BMS (Balsa Machining Service); I got my custom made centering rings/bulkheads for my
Estes K-36 Saturn - V model (since I was making a number of modifications/changes from
the original design). BMS gives great service!

Tau Zero
12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I need to find a source for 3" CR w/24mm bt50 Thin fiber or thin plywood 1/16" max. any suggestions?John,

Get ahold of Carl at Semroc. He'd probably be able to squeeze you in Like Right Now.

Tell JP I said, "Hi!" ;) :D

Cheers,

Bob Kaplow
12-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I need to find a source for 3" CR w/24mm bt50 Thin fiber or thin plywood 1/16" max. any suggestions?

Since I've got a drill press and a fly cutter, I make my own as needed.

In this size and power class, plain old corrugated cardboard is quite adequate as a centering ring material. It's a bit beefier than the stuff Estes uses in rockets like the Big Daddy. And it's perfectly capable of holding up to D12s and E9s.

johnnwwa
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
John,

Get ahold of Carl at Semroc. He'd probably be able to squeeze you in Like Right Now.

Tell JP I said, "Hi!" ;) :D

Cheers,

I contacted Carl last night . I needed 4" vice 3" For a rather large Birdie 5.0" x 4.5 dia. that I found online last year just getting around to working on this one.

I'm going with lite ply .110
I already have the other CR which is 2.6" just need to locate the 3/16" launch lug and will do this by drilling it at home . Not sure of placment yet. Will try to post a picture when I get all the parts together.

John

Bob Kaplow
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I contacted Carl last night . I needed 4" vice 3" For a rather large Birdie 5" x 4.5 dia. that I found online last year just getting around to working on this one.

OK, I've got to ask where you found that big a Birdie? A link would be really nice.

johnnwwa
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
OK, I've got to ask where you found that big a Birdie? A link would be really nice.
Bob

You asked and here you go.

http://www.ssgecom.com/scripts/wgate/zesports4bc02edd/~flNlc3Npb249UFJPRDE6UFJPRF9BR0FURTJCOjAwMDEuMDA4MC4yOTM1N2E3Yi4xMjQ5Jn5odHRwX2NvbnRlbnRfY2hhcnNldD1pc28tODg1OS0xJn5TdGF0ZT0xMDcwNS4wMDQuMDUuMDM=?~okcode=PIDET&G_SEL_SITEMID=17588&catalog=BSN&~target=_parent

John

Bob Kaplow
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks. Now that I know what to search for, they are also available via Amazon, where my wife has an open account...

Alas, another of those items where the shipping will cost more than the merchandise.

johnnwwa
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks. Now that I know what to search for, they are also available via Amazon, where my wife has an open account...

Alas, another of those items where the shipping will cost more than the merchandise.

Bob
I found the link on Amazon.

shipping is $4.95

http://www.amazon.com/Neogen-Giant-Shuttlecocks-SET/dp/B0000AOY80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229403389&sr=1-1

John

UPscaler
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack, offers all sorts of different CR sizes

johnnwwa
12-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I recieved the 4" 24mm CR's from Carl today. :) A prefect fit .

Also recieved my SEMROC Christmas Gifts with the Freebe kit I picked up the Hawk. Ordered December 15th. arrived today at 11:30. Thanks Carl

Jay
I'll say Hi to JP :D ;)

A Merry Christmas to you all

John

GIJoe
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
John,
I was thinking of cloning one of the smaller shuttle cocks, but now that you are going large I will have to see what yours looks like. Who knows maybe I will have to build one of those also. Hope to see it fly at BMR some day.

Joe

Bob Kaplow
12-21-2008, 02:04 PM
John,
I was thinking of cloning one of the smaller shuttle cocks, but now that you are going large I will have to see what yours looks like. Who knows maybe I will have to build one of those also. Hope to see it fly at BMR some day.

Joe

I've done the standard ones for 13mm motors, and the large size for 18mm.

I'm gonna get one of these jumbo birdies and probably try a 24mm E9 in the thing and see what happens.

Gus
12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I've done the standard ones for 13mm motors, and the large size for 18mm.

I'm gonna get one of these jumbo birdies and probably try a 24mm E9 in the thing and see what happens.
Bob,

I can't imagine the birdie is a whole lot draggier than Art Applewhite's 24mm Stealth or Scimitar and those are fantastic on E9s.

Those are tumble recovery and do just fine but I don't know about the Shuttlecock with a 29mm motor. John, do you plan to just tumble recover yours?

johnnwwa
12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Bob,

I can't imagine the birdie is a whole lot draggier than Art Applewhite's 24mm Stealth or Scimitar and those are fantastic on E9s.

Those are tumble recovery and do just fine but I don't know about the Shuttlecock with a 29mm motor. John, do you plan to just tumble recover yours?

Gus
I guess tumble recovery or as a standard birdie would recover nose down . Looking at using a D11P 24mm. I also purchased a 1.5" 24mm solid balsa tube coupler to be used as a cushion in the top of the engine /motor tube.

John

Bob Kaplow
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I found the link on Amazon. shipping is $4.95
http://www.amazon.com/Neogen-Giant-Shuttlecocks-SET/dp/B0000AOY80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229403389&sr=1-1
John

Well, now I'm pissed. I went ahead and had my wife add this to her post-holiday Amazon order, and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It was absolutely NOT AS ADVERTISED either on the company or amazon's web site :mad:

They claimed that these birdies were 7.5"x5", and in reality they are only 5"x4" which is exactly the same as the yellow birdie "Woodstock" that I've been flying for the past decade. http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org/photos/Bob%2001.jpg In fact, the shipping box they came in is only 6x4!

And this stupid company will refund only the merchandise price. So I can get A $2.80 refund if I spend $5 to ship the stupid thing back and be out even more $$$.

I've contacted both the company and Amazon to report that the ad for this item is deceptive. If they don't give me a full refund, INCLUDING any shipping, then it's off to my CC company to dispute the charge.

:mad: