PDA

View Full Version : Astron Scrambler Clone K-37

UMRS
03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
I have finally finished this clone of the Scrambler, dont ask me why this one. but its always been one of my favorites. Not to mention were having an egg lofting contest in our section soon. so maybe I can break her in :)

Astron Scrambler K-37

Phred
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
That is really sharp!! Where did you get the proper sized clear tubing?

PH

UMRS
03-16-2005, 08:44 PM
My brother in law works in a plastics factory. And I had the original clear plastic section, so I gave it to him and a couple of weeks later shazam............ I have my payload bay. He had made me a few spares so I could clone a couple more scramblers. I forgot tomention that the "clone" payload sections are a little thicker than the originals. Which isnt really a bad thing.

gpoehlein
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
According to the Custom Parts Catalog, BT-60 has an ID of 1.595" and an OD of 1.637", while the PST-65 has an ID of 1.595" and an OD of 1.641". I don't know if this is a mis-print (wouldn't be the first one in the Estes Catalog), since the BNC-65 nose cone that is used for the Scrambler is listed as having a diameter of 1.796". I'm not sure if the tube should be the same as the nose cone or not, since I never had a Scrambler.

If the Parts Catalog is correct, the PST-65 (clear payload tube) is pretty much the same as the clear tubes that hardware stores sell for fluorescent light tube protector shields. A PNC-60 is a little loose fitting in the clear tube, but the shoulder is large enough to keep it from slipping inside, so the difference isn't very great (time for a masking tape shim). Thus, I'm working now on an 170% upscale of the X-Ray using the Stormcaster nose, the light tube shield for the payload, a 1.7 inch custom transition, and a BT-55 for the main body tube.

Greg

CPMcGraw
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Did you use the "65" nose cone and transition from BMS for this one?

UMRS
03-18-2005, 10:35 PM
On my clone I had Bill at BMS make the parts for me, I got the specs from and old estes book I had laying around it has all the nose cone/transition numbers.