PDA

View Full Version : Igniters or Ignitors?

Rocket Doctor
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Who wants first to comment on this topic??????

Doug Sams
01-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Who wants first to comment on this topic??????The trend is away from O and towards E. Over the past 30 years, several words have had their spelling altered. Advisor has become adviser, for example. This seems like change for the sake of change, but doesn't really improve the language much. I will concede it tends to help standardize the spelling, I suppose.

But if we're gonna reinvent the language, let's start dropping silent and superfluous characters. That'd do wonders for simplifying things.

Does anybody have any trouble understanding thru (versus through)? Do you really need the ogh? :D

Doug

mperdue
01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Igniter and ignitor are both accepted variants of the word - as are through and thru.

Mario

brianc
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I had always used an 'o', but recently the FireFox spellchecker has led
me (right or wrong) to switch to an 'e'...

Now let's talk about 'fish' spelled 'ghoti' ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

Doug Sams
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Now let's talk about 'fish' spelled 'ghoti' ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhotiI didn't know it dated back that far. The first time I ever heard it was someone ranting against phonics. His argument struck me as poorly thought out.

I was taught to read and spell using phonics. It gives a good leg up maybe half the time, primarily to modern words of English origin. Where it fails is with words with non-English origins and hence different meanings for the letters. Even then, my trick for remembering the spelling of those words was to remember how they would sound if they were pronounced the way they're spelled. Sports writers have used that trick with the Duke basketball coach's name: krazy zewski minus the a (Krzyzewski).

Doug

Mark II
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvil_Dewey). Someone from my neck of the backwoods had some relevant things to say on the whole subject of spelling reform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_reform). :D

Mark \\.

jj94
01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally, I was strictly with ignitor, but then after a while I started to use igniter too. Now I use both interchangeably. =

Mark II
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Whatever spelling they use in England and Canada, we'll use the other version here in the US. :rolleyes:

For the record, I have never seen it spelled with "-or" until this thread.

[Wait, Jack Bauer's having a shoot-out!...]

Mark \\.

Shreadvector
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Whatever spelling they use in England and Canada, we'll use the other version here in the US. :rolleyes:

For the record, I have never seen it spelled with "-or" until this thread.

[Wait, Jack Bauer's having a shoot-out!...]

Mark \\. (file://\\.)

Yeah, and look who was killed off really fast in Sunday's episode....

JoeLaunchman
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
You beat me to it, Mark!

Every advocate of simplified spelling should pay a visit to the Adirondack Loj. My other hobby is mountain climbing and I've been to the Loj many times and heard many a hiker question the odd spelling. This explains the odd spelling:

The Adirondak Loj got its spelling from Melvin Dewey, inventor of the Dewey Decimal System. Dewey was a main officer of the Lake Placid Club and wanted to have his simplified spelling used to name the Loj. Instead of the conventional “Adirondack Lodge” spelling, the unique spelling of the Adirondak Loj is in place to this day.

Mark II
01-12-2009, 10:34 PM
You beat me to it, Mark!

Every advocate of simplified spelling should pay a visit to the Adirondack Loj. My other hobby is mountain climbing and I've been to the Loj many times and heard many a hiker question the odd spelling. This explains the odd spelling:

The Adirondak Loj got its spelling from Melvin Dewey, inventor of the Dewey Decimal System. Dewey was a main officer of the Lake Placid Club and wanted to have his simplified spelling used to name the Loj. Instead of the conventional “Adirondack Lodge” spelling, the unique spelling of the Adirondak Loj is in place to this day.
Melvil Dewey could also be called the great-grandfather of texting, too! :D

Mark \\.

Rocketflyer
01-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I can see the newest rocket catalogs--- just insert the ignitor/igniter into the motor/engine.

And use grey/gray primer to seal the body tube. :chuckle:

tbzep
01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
I've always used the "e" because Estes did. 1974 Catalog (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes74/74est54.html)

However, I think I've used a word processor or browser before that told me to use the "o". Firefox, both Windows and Linux versions, agrees with Estes. :cool:

tbzep
01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
And use grey/gray primer to seal the body tube. :chuckle:

Did Erin Gray or Erin Grey star in the Buck Rogers TV show? You get google hits with both versions. :p

Bazookadale
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I prefer the term "woosh starter" (or is it perfer?)

Peartree
01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
We could use the word "initiator" but it would be too much work...

Bazookadale
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I didn't know it dated back that far. The first time I ever heard it was someone ranting against phonics. His argument struck me as poorly thought out.

Phonetic spellings can sometime confuse more than they help. If were to write "before yunz char chek for talz undt sop toa " it might baffle someone from a less developed state.

Proud to be a Pennsylvanian

Peartree
01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Phonetic spellings can sometime confuse more than they help. If were to write "before yunz char chek for talz undt sop toa " it might baffle someone from a less developed state.

You forgot to squeeze gumbands in there somewhere...

DaveR
01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
......(or is it perfer?)

Only in the south. :rolleyes:

tbzep
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Did you watch the Piksburg game? :p

luke strawwalker
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I prefer the term "woosh starter" (or is it perfer?)

It's only perfer (actually the correct spelling is PERFUR) instead of "prefer" if you're a supposedly college educated elected official referring to your choice of supporting NUCULAR power instead of nuclear power....

I didn't know so many colleges had a short bus... :) Wonder why the ones that ride it end up in leadership positions?? OL JR :)