PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck is Jeffyjeep???

Mikus
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't know who this guy is but I've watched his work sell on ebay for awhile now. Enviously.

It's ALWAYS outstanding work.

Now he has a Semroc Sat 1B up for sale, this should be interesting to watch - expensive to own. ;)

Yo Jeff, you out there? Tell us about this one, it looks awesome.

Jeffyjeep Sat 1B on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/SEMROC-ESTES-SATURN-1B-FLYING-MODEL-ROCKET-BUILT-1-70_W0QQitemZ330300531907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item330300531907&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

scigs30
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I have seen his rockets on Ebay, and I agree they are nice. Sometimes he posts close up pictures like the ones below and you can really see the quality of work. I like how he describes in detail how he builds and finishes each rocket. Here are some of his other rockets he has posted. I use most of the same techniques he uses, 3 to 4 coats of balsa sealer, grey primer, white flat coat and 1 top coat. I don't use epoxy resin or clear finish. I keep his pictures around for inspiration. Would sure like to see more of his builds.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/zv1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/zv2.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/zinterceptor.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/zinterceptor2.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/XRECRUITER1.jpg

LeeR
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
The builds look pretty good, but I just do not like gloss clear finishes, unless covering a car! And especially the military models like the Recruiter pictured -- they gotta have aflat finish. The V-2 looks to be not nearly as glossy.

Just me 3 cents (adjusted for the pending inflation we'll see this year) ...

rokitflite
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
He bought a couple of my kits on Ebay a few months ago. He built and re-sold one of my Fake Wulf kits. I don't remember his name or address...

jetlag
01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Overall, a nice job on the Saturn 1B, however, there are many scale issues, not the least of which are the black and white tanks which all should be white (for SA-207). Also, the service module has none of the silver details, and the rotational jets on the side of the SM are way too big. Otherwise, a pretty good example. :D
Allen

mojo1986
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Bidding is up to $250.00 :eek: , and still 6 days to go! Somebody sure likes it!

Joe

Mikus
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL! Well I love his stuff, wish mine looked half as good.

$250 last I checked. Nice..... :cool:

motley16
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
this cat has been selling on ebay for well over a year now. part of his selling high is the long winded stoies he tells in his ebay listings. the backrounds on the pictures etc. some retired dude tha builds with the wife 7 days a week. wish i had that kind of time

Rocketcrab
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
"some retired dude that builds with the wife..." ??

Well, I don't build with my wife now, so here's one "dude" that doubts she'll be building with me then! :chuckle:

Mikus
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
No lie there. I can't even get she of the 3 sewing machines, 1 serger and more pins/needles than an entire hospital to make me a parachute, much less build a rocket.

Guess I'll have to "borrow" one of her sewing machines to make my own. That ought to solve one problem at least. ;)

cas2047
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
part of his selling high is the long winded stoies he tells in his ebay listings. the backrounds on the pictures etc.

Interesting observation. I was thinking the same thing myself. He does a great job of telling the story and supporting it with pictures, etc. He just makes the whole thing sounds very interesting.

Don't get me wrong the build is excellent, but I think there are other guys out there who do just as good or better work. Chan Stevens, Sandman, Gus and a bunch of other guys come to mind right off the top. Again not to take away from his stuff, I'm just saying...

pantherjon
01-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Bidding is over $400 for it now!:eek: Awesome work on the finish...but $400+???????? A little too steep for my lowlyness...lol..

cas2047
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Bidding is over $400 for it now!:eek: Awesome work on the finish...but $400+???????? A little too steep for my lowlyness...lol..

Hey some of you guys with the fantastic finishing skills should get busy! I wonder how many people in our hobby are able to put a lot of work into a build and then sell the finished product...

Mikus
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

As they say, time is money. It's an awfully low hourly rate. I mean I can make $400 in much less time than it would take to finish or even build that bird.

But it's not me, I usually enjoy the drive as much as the destination. ;)

Mikus
01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey some of you guys with the fantastic finishing skills should get busy! I wonder how many people in our hobby are able to put a lot of work into a build and then sell the finished product...

I think that's part of what makes this guy so amazing. He does it consistently. :eek:

LeeR
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
As they say, time is money. It's an awfully low hourly rate. I mean I can make $400 in much less time than it would take to finish or even build that bird.

But it's not me, I usually enjoy the drive as much as the destination. ;)

The other problem is, I'd quickly develop a hatred for the tedious work. It is one thing to spend countless hours building a rocket I cherish, but to turn the hobby into a job is the quickest way to ruin it for me. We had some friends see some of my woodworking projects, and ask if I could make something for their kids for Christmas. No more -- it was pure agony to make it and "give" it away. No amount of money was worth it (other than an obscene amount, which I could never accept from friends).

However, if the Saturns start selling for $1000s, maybe I'm being too quick to pass judgment on what I do for "work" ...
:)

cas2047
01-22-2009, 06:22 AM
The other problem is, I'd quickly develop a hatred for the tedious work. It is one thing to spend countless hours building a rocket I cherish, but to turn the hobby into a job is the quickest way to ruin it for me.

Good point. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not work. Mixing the two would mean, at least for some people, that you no longer have the hobby, just another job.

o1d_dude
01-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I knew a fella once who lived to fish. The odd thing was he never ate the the fish he caught and he caught a LOT of fish. He always gave them away or just tossed them back in the water. It was the act of fishing that he enjoyed.

Perhaps this Jeffyjeep is like that, just likes building models but doesn't really care to keep them on display or fly them.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-22-2009, 11:21 PM
I knew a fella once who lived to fish. The odd thing was he never ate the the fish he caught and he caught a LOT of fish. He always gave them away or just tossed them back in the water. It was the act of fishing that he enjoyed.

Perhaps this Jeffyjeep is like that, just likes building models but doesn't really care to keep them on display or fly them.

He throws rockets in the water? :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

cas2047
01-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Could be. Or he might be in that position where he has so many built rockets that "she who must be obeyed" will let him build but not keep what he's built...???

I'd like to know how guys like Chan Stevens deal with the issue of storage of rockets he's built. There must be some point where you just can't fit any new rockets into the house...

STRMan
01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I just sent JeffyJeep a message asking if he'd like to join this forum. Let's see if he takes us up on it. I think he would have a lot in common with us around here.

Maniac BAR
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Good point. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not work. Mixing the two would mean, at least for some people, that you no longer have the hobby, just another job.

That is why we do what we do!

I have been offered quite a sum of money to sell this first pictured baby to make a kit or to build another one. :eek: I had a great build time with it and like to fly it as much as I can. But to build another just for the money or to get and supply the parts to build one can take up too much time by itself that would quickly take the "fun" out of the whole project. :(

I did sell the second one pictured only because the young lad that wanted it so badly went to his dad, uncle and grandfather who were all with him at the rocket launch to gather up the money I quoted him. The quote was a rediculus amount to begin with and when he actually can up with the cash, I let him have the rocket for half of what I told him. The look on his face said more than any of the thank you's he gave me. As a bonus, I included a new "F" motor to launch it with. I have never seen a more enjoyable launch as that one when the young lad pushed that button. :p :p

mojo1986
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
575 bucks! Not bad!

motley16
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
think this guy pays income tax on all the cash he makes selling rockets? ;)

cas2047
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
think this guy pays income tax on all the cash he makes selling rockets? ;)

I'm sure he does. It's NEVER ok to not pay your taxes unless you at least rise to the level of Treasury Secretary. :chuckle: ;)

Der Red Max
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Who the heck is Jeffyjeep???
Isn't that Popeye's little pet friend?
http://www.popeye.com/downloads/jeep1.jpg

STRMan
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
JeffyJeep responded back to me and said he's think about joining here.

Night Tripper
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
JeffyJeep responded back to me and said he's think about joining here.

That would be great. I'd been admiring his work.

Until today, I didn't realize a thread had been started here. I had started one over at TRF yesterday.

http://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=280

RocketBoy 32
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM

That's why Ross Dunton sold off Magnum rockets a few years ago. I used to fly with him all the time back when MIVARS was formed here in the Miami Valley. He started the business and soon after he didn't have time to build and fly anymore. To work with rockets all day and never get to enjoy one of your own would be worse than being out of the hobby altogether.

jeffyjeep
02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Hello guys. I'm jeffyjeep. No, I'm not Popeyes' friend (that was Eugene the Jeep).

Contrary to some beliefs, I'm neither old nor retired (God, I wish).

Thanks for all the comments on my models--both complimentary and critical!

I've built models since the mid 1960's, but constructing model rockets has always been my passion. Thanks to my wife's brush strokes, I've been getting heavily into camouflage finishes. I pencil the pattern for her, and she does the handpainting. I don't have the eyes, the brushes, or the patience for hand painting like she does.

I haven't flown any model rockets since the late 1990's, and for 2 reasons:
1) I just got tired of "watching them die", and
2) Since I'm not retired, and my career involves domestic and international travel for 48 weeks out of every year, I don't have time to build and fly.

Gus
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Jeff,

Welcome aboard. Your stuff is always a pleasure to look at.

cas2047
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Welcome Jeff. You do excellent work!

STRMan
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm glad you took me up on the invite buddy. Welcome aboard!

rokitflite
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice Job on the Fake-Wulf :D Welcome aboard!!!

Mikus
02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice work Jeff and Jeff's wifey. Welcome to YORF. :)

o1d_dude
02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the asylum, Jeffyjeep. We're all crazy about rockets here.

Looks like I was right. You really like building them! LOL!