PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Soviet N-1

hunter1979
01-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for the Russian answer to the American Saturn 5, namely a model kit (resin or plastic) of the N-1.

http://www.realspacemodeling.nl/realspace/images/wanted_kits/realspacemodels_N-1_144N1.jpg

I have already found one in 1/144 scale made by Glenn over at realspacemodels.com, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there who knows of this kit being produced in another scale (meaning a larger scale).

If you do, please contact me!

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Pyro Pro
01-20-2009, 08:05 PM
If you've got access to a large-format printer, you could put together Currell's paper N1. It'll take a lot of patience, but the resultant model is very nice and detailed. The original model is also 1/144th scale, but someone has made a 1/96th scale version, though it requires a large printer.

http://currell.net/models/n1.htm

Here's a review from someone who converted his for flight (though, from your previous website, it looks like you just want a display model?)

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/mod_currel_n-1.shtml

And here are a few detail pictures of someone's model that was scaled up to 1/100th

http://currell.net/graphics/gallery/agrayer_n1b.jpg
http://currell.net/graphics/gallery/agrayer_n1c.jpg
http://currell.net/graphics/gallery/agrayer_n1d.jpg

JAL3
01-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I used my printer, which handles 5'x300', to print a maxed out upscale of those plans for a vendor. He is working on it but its on the back burner. I don't remember the scaling factor but the assembled beast was going to be in excess of 15' tall.

That's way above my skill and certification level but I'd sure like to see it.

Heck, I'd like to see any production kit of the N1!!!!!!!

hunter1979
01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Thank you all for your reply. But I am looking for a resin or plastic kit of the model... (maybe I should've specified this in my post).

WillMarchant
01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
I used my printer, which handles 5'x300', to print a maxed out upscale of those plans for a vendor. He is working on it but its on the back burner. I don't remember the scaling factor but the assembled beast was going to be in excess of 15' tall.

OK, John, now you have to spill the beans on who, so we can get their project off of the back burner...

JAL3
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
OK, John, now you have to spill the beans on who, so we can get their project off of the back burner...

I promised.

I almost didn't post he reply but without the indentifying info I thought it may spur a little bit of guilt and move things along.

Actually, we were looking at clustering AND staging it correctly. Some technical issues arrose that are beyond my ken so I'm not sure if its even doable. He does make mention of it sitting in the back of his shop from time to time in an email, though.

Chas Russell
01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I can not find any kits of the N-1. I do recommend that you look at www.ninfinger.org and go to the scale models section. Down under "Business Related" are several useful references including Fantastic Plastic (lists of current and past kits), Realspace Models, and the referenced Delta 7 for paper models.
Not that I would be researching this at work...

Chas

stefanj
01-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh.

You wanted a model of the N-1.

I wish the subject line had been more specific. You had my hopes up.

Cripes, even the top stage of this thing is too big for a shed, and with scrap metal prices down even the local meth heads won't touch it.

WillMarchant
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I promised.

I almost didn't post he reply but without the indentifying info I thought it may spur a little bit of guilt and move things along.

Actually, we were looking at clustering AND staging it correctly. Some technical issues arrose that are beyond my ken so I'm not sure if its even doable. He does make mention of it sitting in the back of his shop from time to time in an email, though.

OK, well, I'm interested in building one myself. We're doing a "race to the moon" launch this July for the 40th anniversary and I wanted to fly an N-1. Please pass along my contact info to your "chief engineer" and maybe we can work out a deal... :)

JAL3
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
OK, well, I'm interested in building one myself. We're doing a "race to the moon" launch this July for the 40th anniversary and I wanted to fly an N-1. Please pass along my contact info to your "chief engineer" and maybe we can work out a deal... :)

I'll let him know.

Pem Tech
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Actually it scaled up to 19' in height.
Heck, the print outs won't even fit in my car! But I am still on it....
A 200% upscale of the paper model would be much more practical.

You and your multimotor mania......
:rolleyes:

wilsotr
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Works for me. Let us know when the prototypes are ready .... :)

JAL3
01-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Actually it scaled up to 19' in height.
Heck, the print outs won't even fit in my car! But I am still on it....

You and your multimotor mania......

The cat is out of the bag.

Heck. I'll take what I can get. You want 200% and I'll print them up.

Still, I'd REALLY like to see the 19' verson.

Really.

jetlag
01-23-2009, 04:49 AM
I had a bookmarked website of a 1/16 scale N-1 these fellows built. When you got to the site, the Russian National Anthem started, and the prologue for the build was right there. Pictures of the massive build followed, all the way to the launch. It was quite the project! I tried to go back to that site, but, sadly, it is down. :(
Anyone remember the site?
It's only been a few months since I visited there with no problems.
Sorry I can't link you to it, but here is the original link that now bounces to a website design site..........

http://stores.whatsuphobby.com/1_16_scale_soviet_n1.htm

Allen

wilsotr
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
You want 200% and I'll print them up.

Actually, I'd be happy with that 1:96 scale set printed in color on high-quality paper. PM me if you're serious about printing them up and saving me a trip to Kinko's ... :)

And ditto on seeing that 19' monster, but with the word "really" in a much bigger font.

JAL3
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Actually, I'd be happy with that 1:96 scale set printed in color on high-quality paper. PM me if you're serious about printing them up and saving me a trip to Kinko's ... :)

And ditto on seeing that 19' monster, but with the word "really" in a much bigger font.

PM sent

Maniac BAR
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I had a bookmarked website of a 1/16 scale N-1 these fellows built. When you got to the site, the Russian National Anthem started, and the prologue for the build was right there. Pictures of the massive build followed, all the way to the launch. It was quite the project! I tried to go back to that site, but, sadly, it is down. :(
Anyone remember the site?
It's only been a few months since I visited there with no problems.
Sorry I can't link you to it, but here is the original link that now bounces to a website design site..........

http://stores.whatsuphobby.com/1_16_scale_soviet_n1.htm

Allen

That was Andy Worner (I think that is how he spells it). Anyway, see if you can find the upscale Star Wars X-Wing fighter he built either through the Wayback Machine or on YouTube. You might get a link back to the N-1 site. It was very impressive to see the build and more so on the flight. He also ran Polecat Aerospace until it was taken over by What's up Hobbies. Try Polecat on the Wayback machine and it might come up.