PDA

View Full Version : Estes Black Brant III

mojo1986
01-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Anybody have one of these kits to sell? An opened one is fine as I plan to build it. Please PM me if you have one that you would be willing to part with. Thanks.

Joe

tbzep
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Anybody have one of these kits to sell? An opened one is fine as I plan to build it. Please PM me if you have one that you would be willing to part with. Thanks.

Joe

Does it have to be a kit, or are you willing to clone? My son has a clone ready to paint. He made the nozzle shroud and used a SEMROC nosecone. If you want the "real" plastic nozzle and nosecone, the currently available Tandem-X kit is available to bash.

http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets.php?pid=001483

mojo1986
01-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the information. Yes, I will clone if I have to, although I find it to be a bit of a pain. I would have to hope that Excelsior has the decal sheet too. So my goal is to get an opened kit if possible. I don't use TRF, but if anyone hears of one over there please let me know.

Joe

zog139
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
If your building a scale model for a contest the nozzle has a raised notch that allows the engine hook to pass through. When I built mine I used cardstock for that scale ( BT-50) and when I did the BT-80 version I used 1/64th plywood. Either way use a piece on the inside to allow the ends to "butt" to each other instead of an overlap tab. A litle fill and some primer and youll never know.

The fins have a wedge shape along the leading and trailing edge. I made fins from 1/64th ply for skins and spars in the core to give a sharp bevel on the edges.

I dont believe the Estes kit gave any detail for the antennas or the scale lugs if you want to detail your model. The Estes kit also provided a Canadian version decal. I simply used the Wallops version which was the same colors except instead of the markings on the Canadian version it had stencil lettering "United States".