PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many people ignoring the auction site?

sandman
02-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I just heard from a YORF member that purchased an item for more money and with a higher shipping cost on Ebay than the identical item on YORF auction.

Honestly should I just give up on the YORF auction? :confused:

The link is right at the top of the freakin' page...it says "AUCTIONS"

Come on guys! Bid!

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl

STRMan
02-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I just heard from a YORF member that purchased an item for more money and with a higher shipping cost on Ebay than the identical item on YORF auction.

Honestly should I just give up on the YORF auction? :confused:

The link is right at the top of the freakin' page...it says "AUCTIONS"

Come on guys! Bid!

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl

Honestly, I never even noticed it. Now that you pointed it out, I will certainly look in. Very cool.

sandman
02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I never even noticed it. Now that you pointed it out, I will certainly look in. Very cool.

Don't just look...BID!

Bob Kaplow
02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Given the current state of the economy, some of us just aren't spending money on our hobbies. It's been a LONG time since I've had a regular paycheck :(

dwmzmm
02-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I have too many OOP still "in-the-bag" kits awaiting assembly, enough to keep me busy for a number of years. And, yes, the economy has an effect, plus with the built models I currently have, I'm just about out of space to store/display them. I do look at the various
auctions every now and then, but that's about it, just looking.

johnnwwa
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Given the current state of the economy, some of us just aren't spending money on our hobbies. It's been a LONG time since I've had a regular paycheck :(

Gordon
I agree with Bob . My own purchases are down on my hobby buys, it's the difference between wants and needs . I want alot of OOP kits and rockets supplies but my needs are more important right now. Having said that I did place a bid or two. I do have a regular paycheck. And I am glad and thankfull that I can say I have a job to go to every week.

On a lighter note Steven Wright said this " Monday's are a heck of a way to spent 1/7 th. of your life" :)

BAR
John

kurtschachner
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I think this explanation has merit, I know it applies to me as well. I already have SO much stuff that there is precious little I want or need.

Of course I have a lot less stuff than some people (hi Scott!) but still, at 47 years old I am begining to seriously doubt I will ever build half of what I have :(

I have too many OOP still "in-the-bag" kits awaiting assembly, enough to keep me busy for a number of years. And, yes, the economy has an effect, plus with the built models I currently have, I'm just about out of space to store/display them. I do look at the various
auctions every now and then, but that's about it, just looking.

arlblaster
02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree sandman. I wasnt really looking to buy any more stuff but Ive bought 5 auctions here on YORF becouse they were just too good of a deal to not at least put in a bid. I just won your Deep Space Transport auction for $26 including shipping. They rarely come up for auction on ebay and when they do it sells for about $35-40 plus shipping.

Yes,the economy is bad but hobbies are what helps me keep my sanity. When I build rocket kits, Im not thinking about work (or lack of), bills or any other depressing thoughts. Im thinking of whether I should paper the fins or use FNF.

Thanks sandman,its going to a good home.....

Ken (arlblaster)

Bazookadale
02-01-2009, 07:24 PM

I know how much fun that isn't!

grog
02-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Thought I'd give the auction site a try again. Just listed a Broadsword and Flat Cat/Ecee combo. Got a Interceptor G in the wings, but haven't decided whether to build or sell yet. Thanks for looking.

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=21234052439

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=41234052713

o1d_dude
02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I have to admit that I don't check the auction site.

For me the issue is the amount of money that most of these OOP kits are legitimately worth to those who collect kits. Personally, I'm not a collector. I build and fly my birds so it's more cost-effective for me to put together OOP ships from plans and parts.

Were I flush with moolah, I'd probably not care overly much about spending the money but building a collectible kit and thereby taking it out of the pool of available kits would most likely give me a twinge of guilt.

I mostly buy retro/repo stuff or kitbash these days when I building the old designs.

sandman
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, thanks to everypone that bid and won!

LiteMeUp
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm the guilty party Gordy is referring to. :( I honestly never noticed the "Auctions" header until he mentioned it when answering a question I had. Now that I know about it, I'm looking at it more. Thanks for the heads up...

sandman
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm the guilty party Gordy is referring to. :( I honestly never noticed the "Auctions" header until he mentioned it when answering a question I had. Now that I know about it, I'm looking at it more. Thanks for the heads up...

It's kind of a moot point now...all but one of my auctions are over.

But I will have more! :D

Honestly I would rather sell on the YORF auction just so I know these kits get a better home and will possibly even get built!

Better than a doomed life squirreled away in a plastic bin.

LeeR
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Gordon

On a lighter note Steven Wright said this " Monday's are a heck of a way to spent 1/7 th. of your life" :)

BAR
John

I have anew outlook on Mondays -- they are great because I get thru the day at work knowing I'm going home to watch "24" ...
:)

cas2047
02-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I’ve taken advantage of the auctions on YORF more than once. If you’ve got the extra cash to spend and aren't checking the YORF auctions from time to time you are missing out.

I just got a great deal from Sandman on a Deep Space Transport, which I am going to build by the way. It's not going to the collectors vault.

Oh and something interesting:
The YORF auction closed Sunday Feb 1. Sandman contacted me and told me he would ship my item out Monday Feb 2.

I also put in an order with Semroc Sunday Feb 1. Semroc contacted me to tell me the order would ship Monday Feb 2.

Here's the funny part. It's Wednesday Feb 4 and the postman just came to the front door with two packages of identical size, one from Semroc and one from Roachwerks (Sandman)

So Sandman shipped at the speed of Semroc! Now that's saying something!!!

johnnwwa
02-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I have anew outlook on Mondays -- they are great because I get thru the day at work knowing I'm going home to watch "24" ...
:)

Lee

You are right about 24, it just keeps getting better and better.

I look forward to the weekends getting out launching rockets with my 4-h kids makes up for a bad day/week at work.

As I say Hey Ben! You know what we get to do this weekend? Launch some rockets.

BAR
John

sandman
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I’ve taken advantage of the auctions on YORF more than once. If you’ve got the extra cash to spend and aren't checking the YORF auctions from time to time you are missing out.

I just got a great deal from Sandman on a Deep Space Transport, which I am going to build by the way. It's not going to the collectors vault.

Oh and something interesting:
The YORF auction closed Sunday Feb 1. Sandman contacted me and told me he would ship my item out Monday Feb 2.

I also put in an order with Semroc Sunday Feb 1. Semroc contacted me to tell me the order would ship Monday Feb 2.

Here's the funny part. It's Wednesday Feb 4 and the postman just came to the front door with two packages of identical size, one from Semroc and one from Roachwerks (Sandman)

So Sandman shipped at the speed of Semroc! Now that's saying something!!!

Carl and I both use the same alien technology. :D

cas2047
02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Carl and I both use the same alien technology. :D

Well I had my suspicions before, but now I KNOW that's a fact! :)

grog
02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Couple of auctions ending tomorrow. Check them out. You might want to bid on one or both. Thanks.

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=41234052713

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=21234052439

grog
02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Broadsword auction ending soon:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=21234570825

Tau Zero
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Carl and I both use the same alien technology. :DI would like to publicly thank Gordy for his high-quality merchandise and excellent service. The Estes Solar Probe arrived in perfectly well preserved condition. ;) :D

To bring William Shakespeare into the 21st century, "Methinks I may have to avail the Sandman of his alien technology in *other* matters." :eek: (maniacal laughter)

Cheers,

johnnwwa
02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I would like to publicly thank Gordy for his high-quality merchandise and excellent service. The Estes Solar Probe arrived in perfectly well preserved condition. ;) :D

To bring William Shakespeare into the 21st century, "Methinks I may have to avail the Sandman of his alien technology in *other* matters." :eek: (maniacal laughter)

Cheers,

Jay
I bid on the Solar Probe and notice you had placed a bid, then dug in my stash and found a Rocket Pad kit of a Solar Probe :eek: Jay I'm glad you won! What would I possibly do with two kits of the same rocket :rolleyes:

Gordy
I recieved my Rainmaker also in a perfectly preserved condition .

Thanks Again Gordy
John

Tau Zero
02-13-2009, 12:35 AM
I bid on the Solar Probe and notice you had placed a bid, then dug in my stash and found a Rocket Pad kit of a Solar Probe :eek: Jay I'm glad you won! What would I possibly do with two kits of the same rocket :rolleyes: (thinking *extra* hard) Uh... You could've sent me one. :eek: :rolleyes: :D :chuckle:

Thanks for being a good sport, John! :cool: :D

Cheers,

LeeR
02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
OK, somebody dig something really cool out of your rocket closet and post it!

I just went out to find something to bid on (yes, guilt finally overcame me ..) and there is nothing out there.

I'll be watching! :rolleyes:

dwmzmm
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
OK, somebody dig something really cool out of your rocket closet and post it!

I just went out to find something to bid on (yes, guilt finally overcame me ..) and there is nothing out there.

I'll be watching! :rolleyes:

Before I learned of YORF, I put one of my Centuri UFO Invader kit (had two, one opened, which is the one I kept) on auction in the Rocketry Online website (before the "upgrade"
change took place). I had bought these two kits on sale at some hobby shop back in the
late 1970's when I went on a buying spree of soon to be OOP kits that I could find (and afford) at the time. Can't really remember how much I paid for the UFO Invader kits, probably around $7 each (they were marked down), the winning bidder on the Rocketry
Online auction site was around $80.

It was much later that Scott Hansen invited me to join this forum..... :rolleyes:

mycrofte
03-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I just went to the upgraded auction page and everything said "0". So, no one is selling anything?

johnnwwa
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I put two SDI kits up for auction Sunday sold in less than three hours will be going to a new home. :)
I will have to dig thru thirteen boxes of stuff to see what else I can post. Kits I will never build.

BAR
John

spacecenturion
03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I think it will take time. As the aution section is still relatively new, once we get more traffic, both professional and personal, then things will really start to go. The big thing that will attract sellers is the FREE portion of it, ie, free to join, free to sell. All you really need is something to sell! :D

What we might have to do (as a seller), and this will defiantely irritate some buyers, is avoid using the buy-it-now feature. By using the standard auction system, it will at least allow the item to be viewed online for a few days, making the site seem a bit more alive.

I missed the SDI stuff as they were only online for a few hours....the only thing I noticed before that was two starter sets, which I might have bid on if they were closer to me. I live in Toronto and sometimes it costs a fortune to get things shipped. :(

In any event, if we allow these items to "live online" for a few days, it will greatly help the site (and give more people the chance to bid!). Once the traffic and database grows, then we can start using the buy-it-now feature.

Does any one else feel the same way???

barone
03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah...instead of the buy it now, could just say the reserve is your buy it now price and then if you get more...... :D

That reminds me.....I need to start using that reserve price thingy so my stuff doesn't go so cheap...... :(

Der Red Max
03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I will have to dig thru thirteen boxes of stuff to see what else I can post.
Come one, just put up the entire 13 boxes of stuff.:D

The_Forgotten
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I haven't looked into the auction much to see how it is to set things up to sell, but is there a listing price? I am going to have a bunch of older built stuff that needs sold soon and am looking for somewhere besides greedbay to list. Let me know; thanks!

barone
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, my wife is spending tomorrow at a yard sale for our church. I told her to buy any rocket stuff that might show up. With that said, I guess I need to cull through some of my stuff and see about putting it up for auction. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of the kits I have selling on Ebay (translation: the market is flooded :( ). There are some things I hate to part with like my Stealth (did a crappy job on the one I built and was planning on making a second one) or the V2 that I bought a V3 to make a clone and then the kit came out but I never built either one.......ah, but I lament......I need to go build something or finish the Mars Lander I started two years ago......Anything in particular someone would like to see on the Auction Site?

sandman
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I haven't looked into the auction much to see how it is to set things up to sell, but is there a listing price? I am going to have a bunch of older built stuff that needs sold soon and am looking for somewhere besides greedbay to list. Let me know; thanks!

Listing is ...

FREE!

Selling fee is...

FREE!

Ltvscout
03-13-2009, 03:05 PM
The auction site is completely free. Post away!

The_Forgotten
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
That's my favorite price!! I will definitely be posting after this weekend--thanks for the opportunity! :cool:

The_Forgotten
03-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, my wife is spending tomorrow at a yard sale for our church. I told her to buy any rocket stuff that might show up. With that said, I guess I need to cull through some of my stuff and see about putting it up for auction. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of the kits I have selling on Ebay (translation: the market is flooded :( ). There are some things I hate to part with like my Stealth (did a crappy job on the one I built and was planning on making a second one) or the V2 that I bought a V3 to make a clone and then the kit came out but I never built either one.......ah, but I lament......I need to go build something or finish the Mars Lander I started two years ago......Anything in particular someone would like to see on the Auction Site?

Maybe we could work out some even swaps? I'm a V2 lover and so anything tied to that I would love to have. I love scale military and mock sci-fi spacecraft. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can talk. Just a thought. :-)