PDA

View Full Version : RTF: Ready To Fly or Rockets To Forget?

Tweener
09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I have the Estes Snitch, new 18mm X-15 and the Cruise Missle. I have had the old starter set mini-engine X-15 and the Moon Dog. I like the convenience and unusual lines that many of these rockets offer, but I have noticed a general disdain for them as opposed to kits. Just thought I'd poll y'all on this. (Now that I figured out how.)

hawkshobby
09-28-2005, 09:55 PM
We have most of the Star Wars kits to keep the kids happy. :D

Green Dragon
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
We have most of the Star Wars kits to keep the kids happy. :D

yes, but are those 'kits' as you mention .. or RTF (as the thread title notes) ?

:-)

hawkshobby
09-29-2005, 11:43 AM
HI, We have about 10 of the ready to fly, these are the plastic models and 1 actual kit the Star Destroyer. :)

Initiator001
09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I have picked up most of the COX RTF rockets over the past 35 years (Original and re-releases).

When Estes had their first RTF rockets in the early 1970s I picked up the Vampire and X-15 (T motor series). I never could find the Banshee model.

MPC also had RTF models. I picked up a bunch in the late 1980s when 'mysterious' quanities started appearing around the country. The Nike Clipper and Yankee models were great for testing prototype 18mm composite AeroTech motors. At LDRS 8 I flew the Yankee with 18mm E45 and F55 motors. It survived the E45 but shredded 3 of the 4 fins under F55 power.

Bob

Tweener
10-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Just picked up the new Space Ship One RTF starter set with the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon Friday. I was in need of a new porta-pad and launch controller anyway, since the ones I've been using are over 20 years old. Unfortunately this rocket is destined to remain a Virgin even after it's launched. ;) :D

Oh, and another thing I like about the Snitch is that it's really great in stock form for night launches. It has never landed more than 25 to 30 feet from the pad even on a C6-0. The flame lights up the bottom of the main shroud in a way that reminds me of a flying chinese lantern.

Eagle3
10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a few.
Estes Flying Saucer (pre-Snitch)
MPC Yankee
Cox Shuttle America

I love flying the Shuttle America and Flying Saucer. The Shuttle flies great on a C6-3. Nice straight boost and the gliders get in some decent time. I like CHAD staging the Saucer with a D12-0. :D I haven't flown the Yankee in a long time, but I bet it would rock with the re-released D21.

Royatl
11-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Check out the new Quest RTF kits that have no packaging!

Look at the slide show on the QBlog page QBlog page (http://www.questaerospace.com/pages/qblog.htm) for the new T-Minus 5 rockets that just hang on little folded header cards like kooch balls.

Bob Thomas
12-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I think RTF kits took away much of the thrill of model rocketry we felt as youths. Nothing compared to building a kit and seeing IF it would fly. You learned from your mistakes and you were compelled to learn more about aerodynamics, finishing techniques and design stability. The great thing about rocketry is not the flying. Putting an engine into an RTF and launching it can be a thrill, but the excitement dies, quickly becoming a bore. Bottle rockets are fun for a few days also, but most people only get to do those once a year around July 4. They just don't have a lasting effect on you. Of the youths I have worked with who were exposed to rocketry, many didn't think much of them, mostly because of the RTF experience. I grew up in an urban neighborhood (da Bronx) and my first exposure was at one of the few fields large enough for a launch, Van Cortland Park. The teen that was launching had the most beautiful designs, among them the Estes Trident. It was the designs that hooked me, and the fact that he built them himself. I was addicted. I don't think buying a prebuilt standard and launching it would have made any more of an impression than a cool bottlerocket. I know I wouldn't have gotten as deep into the science as is necessary for the true model rocketeer. I would probably be watching football right now..., sorry, gotta go .......the game is on.

Bob

mojack82
12-07-2005, 05:44 PM
I think RTF kits took away much of the thrill of model rocketry we felt as youths. Nothing compared to building a kit and seeing IF it would fly. You learned from your mistakes and you were compelled to learn more about aerodynamics, finishing techniques and design stability. The great thing about rocketry is not the flying. Putting an engine into an RTF and launching it can be a thrill, but the excitement dies, quickly becoming a bore. Bottle rockets are fun for a few days also, but most people only get to do those once a year around July 4. They just don't have a lasting effect on you. Of the youths I have worked with who were exposed to rocketry, many didn't think much of them, mostly because of the RTF experience. I grew up in an urban neighborhood (da Bronx) and my first exposure was at one of the few fields large enough for a launch, Van Cortland Park. The teen that was launching had the most beautiful designs, among them the Estes Trident. It was the designs that hooked me, and the fact that he built them himself. I was addicted. I don't think buying a prebuilt standard and launching it would have made any more of an impression than a cool bottlerocket. I know I wouldn't have gotten as deep into the science as is necessary for the true model rocketeer. I would probably be watching football right now..., sorry, gotta go .......the game is on.

Bob

Ditto & more! It definitely molded & shaped my academic and career choices.

I just read and responded to a hijacked post over on TRF that started on somebody complaining on how long it took for a motor order from Hobbylinc. It rapidly transmogrified into a bunch of old farts reminiscing about how long it took after mailing in an order, the 4 - 6 week lag-time, and the waiting for the mailman. As I said there, even back then at the age of 11 or 12, I would tell myself "it doesn't get any better than this".

Same with envisioning, doodling, imagining, building, etc. Don't get me wrong, I luv to launch with the best of 'em. However, the tasks and energy involved in fabricating either a kit or scratch build just adds to the pleasure - in fact, sometimes I think I get more contentment in the process.

I've recently gone back to college & haven't touched a rocket in over 4 months. However, my program gives me a daily dose of the hands-on, creative, and eye-hand activity that rocketry (and the many other hobbies) can provide. It's all about attitude. It's interesting to watch many of the kids out of high school struggle - many with the eye-mind-eye-hand feedback loop out of whack. For me, I'm in my element & having a blast, except for the late hours. Even then, I'll be doing projects to 0300 or later, losing track of time but deriving immense enjoyment.

I attribute my modeling and hobby experiences since I was a little kid as helping now - kinda like money in the bank. Now, if I can just fight the cultural impact on my daughters...