PDA

View Full Version : LOC/Precision Mini Missiles

snaquin
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I saw the announcement on Rocketry Planet about a week ago for these new LOC/Precision model rockets. I was wondering if any members here had purchased or planned to purchase any of these rockets?

I think they're really cool and from what I've read on Rocketry Planet appear to be nice model rocket kits. The comments posted there ranged from great decals to really strong tubing.

I'm sure a lot of my interest in these is because I've owned 5 of the six regular kits they represent (except the Magnum) and have a lot of history with LOC kits in general. I wondered how guys that have flown only model rockets would view this new model rocket kit line.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2735/28/

Mark II
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, that's different! This is the first that I'm hearing about them. I'm actually rather interested in getting the models that these mini-kits are based on, but these may do for now. No dimensions are mentioned, other than the airframe diameter (1") and the scale factor.

Seems like everything is down-sizing these days...

Mark \\.

Royatl
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring (back in the day, when NCR and LOC were the two 'biggies' in HPR -- if you don't count Jerry -- NCR had it in style all over LOC). So small versions of them would be just as boring.

A scaled-down Stovi might not be bad if they had one.

Mark II
02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring (back in the day, when NCR and LOC were the two 'biggies' in HPR -- if you don't count Jerry -- NCR had it in style all over LOC). So small versions of them would be just as boring.

A scaled-down Stovi might not be bad if they had one.
Well I wasn't actively involved in rocketry during the years that North Coast Rocketry was in business. I agree that their kits appear to have been very cool, judging from the very few grainy, low-res pictures that I have seen of them, but to me, NCR's products are just images on a web page at Ninfinger. There is no trace of them anymore in the retail channel, so they might as well be just be a fictional company for me, since I will never be able to see or use their products. No one even makes reproductions of their components, and their kit plans are not available for public distribution, so I cannot even study their designs and clone them to get a feeling of what they were like, as I can with, say, the kit designs of FSI. Since NCR's designs and products are totally inaccessible to me, they might as well have never existed at all. I have no way to compare LOC's products with NCR's. NCR's kits have no reality for me; they simply exist in a never-never land of make believe. Comparing LOC's kits to them is like comparing them to some mythical line of products that exists only as legend. I have no way of assessing for myself the validity of such a comparison. I wish I did.

LOC/Precision's kits actually exist in the real world and in the present day. I have never actually seen any of their kits or rockets built from them in real life, but judging from pictures and videos that I have seen on the web, and reviews that I have read, they seem like pretty decent products. I would like to see and hear more about their new line of Mini-Kits. If I get the opportunity some time, I'll pick up one or two in order to check them out myself.

Mark \\.

Royatl
02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Duuuddde.....

Just take the parenthetical phrase out then! It then becomes, "LOC designs were boring way back when; they're still boring today!"

Still works for me!

Or, to bring it into today, I could've compared them to similar "3 or 4 fins and a nosecone" designs from Estes or Semroc. They are still boring and they're heavier and more expensive to boot!

bob jablonski
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I got a mini LOC4 to go along with a normal LOC4. One I can fly in the park with a A motor and the other With a F. It would be kinda cool to see a father and son with a full size and a mini kit.
Mr. Bob
Starlight gotta have a kit from almost every mfg. guy
www.starlightrocketry.com

Mikus
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I saw the announcement on Rocketry Planet about a week ago for these new LOC/Precision model rockets. I was wondering if any members here had purchased or planned to purchase any of these rockets?

I might have if they had included a mini of the only LOC I own. Maybe a combo if I buy a LOC they have in both sizes.

Do the minis come with decals? I was kinda miffed LOC expected my to make my own decals for the Onyx. And don't even get me started on the chute..... :eek:

cas2047
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring

I think they are trying to spice things up. They now have nekkid aliens dancing around and/or worshiping rockets on their home page. http://www.locprecision.com/index.htm :D ;)

Royatl
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Do the minis come with decals? I was kinda miffed LOC expected my to make my own decals for the Onyx. And don't even get me started on the chute..... :eek:

Until the new owners, there were no such things as decals on LOC rockets!

snaquin
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Until the new owners, there were no such things as decals on LOC rockets!

You probably forgot that Ron and Deb included one decal in every rocket kit ..... a piece of prism tape with the LOC/Precision logo on it in black.

Felt like the same decal program FSI initially used with providing the one "Fly with FSI" chrome label thrown in the bag for your decorating pleasure :)

Royatl
02-05-2009, 10:37 PM
You probably forgot that Ron and Deb included one decal in every rocket kit ..... a piece of prism tape with the LOC/Precision logo on it in black.

Felt like the same decal program FSI initially used with providing the one "Fly with FSI" chrome label thrown in the bag for your decorating pleasure :)

Oh yea. :) Still got one of em somewhere!

I should point out that I do have some LOC rockets.

Graduator (first one lost in Perry, GA. Second one still in the bag.)
Stovi
EZI-65 (awaiting a new payload section after an ejection-less G40 prang)
Calibre-ISP (built in 1991, never flown!)
Mega-Alpha (which is a kitbash of a Minie-Magg)
I bought a Magnum directly from Ron back at Danville Fall 91, but sold it in 1997 having never broken open the parts bag. Just lost the high power bug, i suppose.

snaquin
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, that's different! This is the first that I'm hearing about them. I'm actually rather interested in getting the models that these mini-kits are based on, but these may do for now. No dimensions are mentioned, other than the airframe diameter (1") and the scale factor.

Seems like everything is down-sizing these days...

Mark \\.

For the most part between 11 and 14 or so inches long .....

If you click to enlarge the group image on the LOC website webstore you can barely read just a few of the lengths. I thought I saw length dimensions posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it now so that image may be it.

http://tinyurl.com/bxr635

snaquin
02-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Oh yea. :) Still got one of em somewhere!

Yeah, pretty classic. First LOC kits I remember seeing at lauches everybody put that one decal on their finished model.

I think I still have one in a very old LaserLoc 1.5 kit I have still in the bag.

NCR did put decals in the later kits. I noticed when I bought my first Hypersonic kits and Sonic Seduction kit no decals came with them. I don't think my Orbit came with decals either. Later they started to put decals in the kits and I remember wanting them. Maybe I just wasn't buying kits that came with decals .....

Royatl
02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
For the most part between 11 and 14 or so inches long .....

If you click to enlarge the group image on the LOC website webstore you can barely read just a few of the lengths. I thought I saw length dimensions posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it now so that image may be it.

http://tinyurl.com/bxr635

You can go to the "rockets by melissa" site and you'll find header card images that you can enlarge and be able to read.

pantherjon
02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
I might have if they had included a mini of the only LOC I own. Maybe a combo if I buy a LOC they have in both sizes.

Yes the Mini's come with decals..At least from what I read in the post by CWBullet over on RP..

bob jablonski
02-08-2009, 11:05 AM

.I got a LOC a FSI and an EAC sticker on my range box (Yah I'm old.)
Mr. Bob
Starlight guy

JAL3
02-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Yes the Mini's come with decals..At least from what I read in the post by CWBullet over on RP..

I had the full set just come in and they did come with decals.