PDA

View Full Version : Postal Rate Increase

Rocket Doctor
02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
The USPS has just announced a rate increase from 42 cents to 44 cents beginning on May 11th (Mother's Day)

I would suggest buying those forever stamps and saving .

They contribute the increase to a declining economy, increase costs and the lack of business due to emails.

Happy Mother's Day from your postal service.................

Shreadvector
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/attribute.html

sandman
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
It's still a bargain.

Rocket Doctor
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
It was announced on the news today they will also be cutting hours as well. And, I had heard from a postal counter employee today, that, eventually, they will be cutting one day out as well (Tuesday)

Ltvscout
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
And, I had heard from a postal counter employee today, that, eventually, they will be cutting one day out as well (Tuesday)
Congress has to approve that. I don't see that happening. Actually, after they aproved that "give it to me up the arse" bill today, I guess I could see them doing that.

sandman
02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
At my local post office they were going to let one worker go but the rest of the workers agreed to each cut their hours so the one worker could keep her job.

I though that was a pretty selfless act.

pantherjon
02-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Congress has to approve that. I don't see that happening. Actually, after they aproved that "give it to me up the arse" bill today, I guess I could see them doing that.

And what 'bend over' bill was that?

Yes, I am so out of touch with current events it ain't funny!:o

Ltvscout
02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
And what 'bend over' bill was that?

Yes, I am so out of touch with current events it ain't funny!:o
The so-called stimulus bill.

marcsl
02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
They already increased commercial shipping rates on Jan 18 :(

Marc

pantherjon
02-13-2009, 07:26 AM
The so-called stimulus bill.

Oh, yeah, that...Did happen to catch part of the President's press conference the other night..And one of the questions was to the effect that would people be more inclined to use the 'stimulus' money to pay down 'old debt' rather then making 'new purchases'..Wouldn't see much 'stimulus' if used that way..

Sigh, I know I won't see any of it..Me and the Infernal Ripoff Service have a little on going tussle over those things..:mad:

Bazookadale
02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
It was announced on the news today they will also be cutting hours as well. And, I had heard from a postal counter employee today, that, eventually, they will be cutting one day out as well (Tuesday)

My brother and his wife are postal employees - they told me last Christmas that rates would go up, jobs will be cut and 5 day delivery would come soon. There is a very logical reason why they will cut Tuesday and not Saturday delivery, but I have forgotten why!

Bazookadale
02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/attribute.html

Her is one from people who should have known better
http://www.kansas.com/news/story/697253.html

pantherjon
02-14-2009, 07:12 AM
My brother and his wife are postal employees - they told me last Christmas that rates would go up, jobs will be cut and 5 day delivery would come soon. There is a very logical reason why they will cut Tuesday and not Saturday delivery, but I have forgotten why!

Probably because by doing away with Tuesday deliveries, that whenever there is a Monday holiday they will have a 3 day 'weekend'..Then again, they would have a 3 dayer without Saturday deliveries too..

Rocket Doctor
02-14-2009, 07:24 AM
I think you correct about that one, an extended holiday weekend with a Monday holiday. Plus the fact, for those who still have jobs, they would have time to go to the post office on Saturdays , rather having it off.

From what I understand, they have cut hours in some areas , besides the price increase on the horizon and one less day.

Off well, that's progress..........CHANGE !!

Peartree
02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
The odd thing is, I have two guys in my church that drive the trucks that carry mail between post offices and the main Columbus post office. According to them, they are very busy (think Christmas busy), all of their trucks are full (thy used to often be empty) and they are thinking that they might need to add additional runs even if the Post Office cuts a day.

moonzero2
02-14-2009, 03:13 PM
So what is their problem?
1.) Decreassing mail volume?
2.) or inefficiently being run and waisting money?

Bazookadale
02-14-2009, 03:20 PM

3) All of the above, plus more

Shreadvector
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
As with everything else:

Increase in energy costs (gasoline, deisel, heating, etc.)

Increase in medical costs and retirement costs for employees.

Unique for them: less first class letter volume and more parcel volume, so the efficiency of machineable mail is not so good these days. Hence the insane new rates and definitions for first class parcels.

Bob Kaplow
02-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Plus I would suspect that last summers gas prices caused them to run a deficit. While prices are now half of what they were last summer, does any one expect them to hold here, as opposed to return to record levels in the near future.

It might be a bit confusing, but I think that they should "split" the delivery cutback. Most businesses aren't open Saturday, so eliminating Saturday delivery would save money and not hurt businesses. Eliminate a weekday to residential customers. And of course it would be MUCH more cost effective if they could have different places skip different days so they could run at reduced staff all week, instead of full staff 5 days.

Want to bet that we end up paying the folks that get an extra day off anyway?