PDA

View Full Version : My collection is out of control

scigs30
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
When I got back into rocketry 3 years ago I wanted to collect most of the 1979 Estes rockets. Well I did that, but I continued to collect more and more of the Estes classics. I cleaned out one of my closets last night and these are the rockets I pulled out. These are not including my vintage box kits or kits I have hanging on the wall. I have a lot of duplicated kits that would be hard to clone someday if the situation arises. I plan to build and fly each of these kits.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0002.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0003.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0004-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0005-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0006-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0007-1.jpg

scigs30
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0008-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0010-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0011-2.jpg
Don't think about touching my rockets, My guard dog awaits.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0012-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0013-2.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0014-12.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/DSC_0015-8.jpg

Niteowl
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow.

I doubt I'd ever have the time to build a fraction of that. I'd be hard pressed to find the time just to lay them out for a photo-op......... Then put them back again. You do put them away, don't you?

I must say I do envy the collection. The wife has got to see these pics so the twenty or so I've got waiting to build seem insignificant.

If you do decide there's too much on your plate, I'd be happy to take one of those Photon Disruptors off your hands. :)

Nice looking guard dog, BTW.

MKP
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Why must you taunt us?!?!

:chuckle:

wilsotr
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
That's a lot of rockets. Really liked the dog-shaped one ... "Rastro." :)

ghrocketman
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Looks to be more than a TOUCH out of control, but then again I LIKE things that are out of control in a good way such as this.
Out of all those kits I did not see a single Skill level 5 Saturn V/1B or K-41 Mercury Redstone.
What gives ????

"Rastro" Looks like a good pal & about as mean as my guard dawg "Macy" ; my purebred Cocker Spaniel :D

cas2047
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
So you are the guy who kept outbidding me on ebay! :chuckle: ;)

I notice you don't have any of the Estes boxed Maxi Brute rockets. Are you only collecting bagged kits?

Rocket Doctor
02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
If anyone is interested, I have oveer $4000.00 worth of Estes kits for sale as a lot, individual, Star wars, Starter Sets, some one of a kind, a Total of about 212 pieces.

Selling for $2000.00 plus shipping, contact me via PM for the list.

Thanks RD

CPMcGraw
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
When I got back into rocketry 3 years ago I wanted to collect most of the 1979 Estes rockets... I plan to build and fly each of these kits.

Hey scigs, be sure to look through the XEKL and see if you have anything still marked in RED in that fine collection of bags. Since you've said you intend to build them, then opening them isn't an issue. I'm reasonably sure we don't have that Alpha II scanned or posted, for example.

scigs30
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The reason you don't see the boxed kits is because they are on shelves. The bagged kits need to be organized so that is why they are out. I will organize them and put them away. As far as the K41 Redstone, I have two of those kits. They are the red tags you see behind the 2 Starlab kits. As far as Maxi Brutes, I have some but I am not really looking at building them. As of right now I don't want to collect kits that I have no intention building. That might change some day. The Maxi Kits I do have are: Maxi Alpha's, Maxi X-Wing, Colossus, 1/100th Saturn V and B. I will take some pictures of my Box kits, Alpha III, Der Big Red Max, Challenger, Star Wars Torpedo, Star Trek rocket, all 5 of the boxed Goonies, Colonial Viper, Astrocam, 3 Mars landers, 2 Boxed Citation Bomarcs, and the list goes on. When I take them down for dusting, I will post pictures. Also if you see rockets that I have and you need scans let me know. I don't mind opening the kits.

barone
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Hmmmm.........seems as if someones cup overfloweth........ :)

cas2047
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
The reason you don't see the boxed kits is because they are on shelves.

Sorry I was in such awe of the collection I missed the fact that you referenced your boxed kits in your original post. :o

Very impressive all around, and you've got an excellent looking rocket guard dog as well!

The one Maxi Brute I want and just can't find, at anything close to a reasonable price, is the Pershing-1A. That's one that I'd really like to build.

scigs30
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Sorry I was in such awe of the collection I missed the fact that you referenced your boxed kits in your original post. :o

Very impressive all around, and you've got an excellent looking rocket guard dog as well!

The one Maxi Brute I want and just can't find, at anything close to a reasonable price, is the Pershing-1A. That's one that I'd really like to build.
I have seen the Pershing-1A on eBay a few times, and like all vintage kits it goes for a pretty penny. There are plenty of rare kits that I don't have any plans building so I don't bid on them. I would rather have those kits go to someone that really wants them and not sitting on my shelf.

o1d_dude
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
When I scrolled through the original post and saw the first picture, I thought "Well, that's not so bad..." Then I saw the second picture...and the third...etc. As collections go, you have a very nice one.

In one of the snapshots, I spotted the "prototypical" Baby Bertha better known as the "Rascal". That was the last kit I started when I went off into the ozone for the past 18-20 years of non-rocketry related hobbies. That same half-completed Rascal has been on my workbench recently and now has a Kevlar/braided elastic shockcord. I fully expect to have the fins on this weekend and then it's off to the spraybooth.

I spotted some other oldies but goodies in your photos, too: A V-2, Der V-3, Screaming Mimi, Big Bertha, and my favorite Der Red Max in multiple versions and copies.

My suggestion is that quit your day job and go full-time into building these kits. You did say you wanted to build and fly them, right?

You should probably hire a couple of assistants to help you with all that building and PAINTING.

Indiana
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
When I scrolled through the original post and saw the first picture, I thought "Well, that's not so bad..." Then I saw the second picture...and the third...etc.

Ditto.

After about the 3rd picture I started laughing out loud. :chuckle:

That's a great collection.

lurker01
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=scigs30]When I got back into rocketry 3 years ago I wanted to collect most of the 1979 Estes rockets. Well I did that, but I continued to collect more and more of the Estes classics. I cleaned out one of my closets last night and these are the rockets I pulled out. These are not including my vintage box kits or kits I have hanging on the wall. I have a lot of duplicated kits that would be hard to clone someday if the situation arises. I plan to build and fly each of these kits.

Wow, that is a good start! If one guard dog is needed for that, then I need an entire pack for mine :)

Well I just use public storage at this point, but with the costs, that will change in the very near future... costing me almost $1500.00 annually to store the stuff :( Congrats on getting some fine kits. Love the skill level kits! Any "K" Kits or Centuri/FSI/Vashon stuff?

Bob

scigs30
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=scigs30]When I got back into rocketry 3 years ago I wanted to collect most of the 1979 Estes rockets. Well I did that, but I continued to collect more and more of the Estes classics. I cleaned out one of my closets last night and these are the rockets I pulled out. These are not including my vintage box kits or kits I have hanging on the wall. I have a lot of duplicated kits that would be hard to clone someday if the situation arises. I plan to build and fly each of these kits.

Wow, that is a good start! If one guard dog is needed for that, then I need an entire pack for mine :)

Well I just use public storage at this point, but with the costs, that will change in the very near future... costing me almost $1500.00 annually to store the stuff :( Congrats on getting some fine kits. Love the skill level kits! Any "K" Kits or Centuri/FSI/Vashon stuff?

Bob
I thought about collecting Centuri kits, but I have my hands full with the Estes builds. Also I never had exposure to Centuri kits as a kid. The hobby store only stocked Estes kits.
My dog loves my rockets. When I am packing my rockets to go flying he gets excited. We go flying and he runs with me to chase them down. My wife stays with the truck and rest of the rockets.
I have a lot of Estes kits to build so I really have not bought any other kits. I do buy from Semroc because I believe in what Carl does and I want to support his business.

lurker01
02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=lurker01]
I thought about collecting Centuri kits, but I have my hands full with the Estes builds. Also I never had exposure to Centuri kits as a kid. The hobby store only stocked Estes kits.
My dog loves my rockets. When I am packing my rockets to go flying he gets excited. We go flying and he runs with me to chase them down. My wife stays with the truck and rest of the rockets.
I have a lot of Estes kits to build so I really have not bought any other kits. I do buy from Semroc because I believe in what Carl does and I want to support his business.

Scigs,

My first ever model rocket was a Centuri Micron. I remember cutting coupon out of a Dracula comic book and sending the money in; $1.25 postage paid ... my how have things changed. I have always found the Centuri kits to be of better quality and design then the Estes offerings (1960s kits); after the sale of both to Damon, it all started to look the same.

I remember using water colors to paint the Micron and never flying it as I waited too long in gluing the thrust ring in with the dummy engine tube.

Later, I finally got into the air with a Centuri Screaming Eagle and the rest is history. You have a lot of 13XX kits. Those are VERY popular and gaining in value. I think only the old foogies here care about the "K" stuff, and the younger guys go for the sci-fi fantasy stuff. I am mixed about it as I think the "K" stuff is historical and desired, but the 13XX stuff is fun and given the costs in the current economy, I would actually build most 13XX series kits unless they were only available for a year or two.

Nice collection never the less! Good job! And a lot of time, money, and frustration involved.

Bob

InFlight
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Step away from the build pile.... :chuckle:

That is an amazing collection!

lurker01
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I Just happen to be in the process of spring cleaning and moving my collection from one city to another before the heat comes back! :mad:

Anyhow, here are a few pics of one of the plastic bins that I try to use on most of my collectibles.

I will link them and give captions below them. Not to brag but since the is the place to do so, I have 20 - 25, tubs filled with rockets and dozens more of cardboard boxes filled with rockets. My range is "K" kits - ~ late 1970s. At last count in 2004, I had 2300+ model rockets. Not pallets full of 2300 MPC kits, but 2300 "K" kits, Centuri, FSI, VASHON, COX, Skill Level Kits, and the like ... and don't get me started on the 100+ lbs of motors, old FSI, Enerjet, Atlas, Min-Max, Cox, Estes Red Tubes, MMI, and others. I am not in this to sell to anyone so don't ask. I collect for the LOVE of model rocketry. This move I am doing currently is designed to get my collection closer too me and this summer I will roll up my sleeves, take pictures and create a mySQL database of my collection so that I can STOP buying the same **** rocket over and over again thereby freeing up my money for things I don't have... well kinda :)

Here are the pics:

In this photo, I have churned through the same plastic bin and found that tubes are ovaling ... rotate your rockets like you do your tires! If you look real close, see that wire? Well that is an Estes Launch System. I have been looking for the launch rack for years. I will, but not stupidly purchase the rack off your hands; after all, the economy is in the crapper and getting worse. If you have an original launch rack in the round mailing tube, PM me please.

More of the same bin, just churning...

And more churning...

In this photo I have a small sample of my collectible plastic kits. I really love Strombecker and the Revell "S" kits. There are also a couple Jet-X kits. Somewhere I have Aurora kits like the Regulus and Snark hidden away. In better times, the contents of this bin, including Disney Satellite Launchers would have been $2000 or more.

Ltvscout
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I noticed only one LTV Scout! You can't clone those, you better stock up. I have about 9 or 10 of them now. ;)

Ltvscout
02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Anyhow, there are a few pics of one plastic bin that I try to use on most of my collectibles.
Bob, your picture links are jazzed up. I'd be interested in seeing your collection. Sounds like yours is similar to mine. I told my wife when I was buying up all these kits back in the late 90's, early 00's that it was an investment to pay for the kids' college funds. Well, my eldest is now a Sophomore in high school. It looks like I'm going to have to start cashing in some of this stuff to pay for her college tuition. :(

Rocket Doctor
02-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I noticed only one LTV Scout! You can't clone those, you better stock up. I have about 9 or 10 of them now. ;)

Hey Scott.........you mean you can't be cloned ???

scigs30
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I think most of the K kits I have are the re-numbered kits ie, 1200 series.
RD- I have 2 of the LTV Scout kits, the other kit is in a plastic bag and that will be the one I build.
I was first introduced into rocketry in 1979, but did not start building until the early 80's. For some reason Centuri kits were never in the hobby store. I don't know why their kits were not in the hobby stores. The only exposure I ever got to Centuri was the ad in the back of boys life with the kid carrying the Centuri Screaming Eagle and launcher kit. By the way does any else remember that add? It was also in a lot of catalogs if you sold so many candy bars you could get this kit. I have been looking for that add and can't find it. Any suggestions?

lurker01
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Bob, your picture links are jazzed up. I'd be interested in seeing your collection. Sounds like yours is similar to mine. I told my wife when I was buying up all these kits back in the late 90's, early 00's that it was an investment to pay for the kids' college funds. Well, my eldest is now a Sophomore in high school. It looks like I'm going to have to start cashing in some of this stuff to pay for her college tuition. :(

Scott,

I fixed it and corrected my grammar.

Here is a picture of a box I just pulled at random in the garage and found the following:

About a dozen unopened Estes Red Tube packages. Well like I said, I really need to get all of my stuff cataloged and indexed. There is just too much stuff for me to remember everything that I have :( And yes its an unorganized mess at this point; must fix that!

Bob

dwmzmm
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow!! Your collection is hopelessly out of control!! Just showed my wife a few minutes ago
those pictures; she thinks I have too many OOP kits in my stash; yours puts me to shame.
I now actually "look" better to my wife (so, thanks for posting this thread!) :D .

Bob Kaplow
02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I can almost remember when my collection was that small :chuckle:

scigs30
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
As of last count I think I have about 320 Estes kits. There may be a few straggler kits out there but I pretty much have what I want. Over the years Estes has produced some awesome kits, I hope they continue to do so. Some of Estes recent kits I have are cool designs, but the paint job that Estes did is questionable. Example of this is the Estes Screaming Eagle, Echo Star " that is a cool looking kit" and CC Express. When I build those kits I will add my own color scheme and decals.

Ltvscout
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
About a dozen unopened Estes Red Tube packages.
Ack! Motors kept in the garage?! I hope you have even temps where you live. ;)

Looks like you have a bunch of nice goodies there.

Davidtmp
02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Scigs, all I can say is wow. Look thru this sites plans and Jim Z's, if you have ANYTHING that you build that they don't have plans for, by all means scan those suckers up!
Lurker, I think I vaguely remember engines in those tubes. Seems like there were blues ones too, really not sure though. I think that was before my time, my dad and brother probably remember those more than I would.

ghrocketman
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
If you ever do decide it is time to sell part or all of your collection, you definitely know where to find enthusiasts that would be interested !

pantherjon
03-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Makes my 'collection' seem rather small.. :confused: :eek: :chuckle:

gerryfortin
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Looks like there are a number of us with substantial unopended Estes kit collections. The challenge is to keep the collection organized which I've been working on with the Estes database (see my post on other Kit Collecting thread and this link....http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm). Yes, I'm fairly sick about details and discipline when it comes to collecting.

In the numismatic community, we have an internet feature called open registry whereby collectors can list their entire coin collections (typically by series) for publicity and to compete with other serious coin collectors. Would there be a potential application of the same idea here. In other words, a standard Estes kit set is defined (which I've tried to do) and then individuals download an excel spreadsheet with the individual kit entries to make up the set. Then they list all of the kits and quantities and submit to the "registry". The coordinator of the registry posts the submitted collections. Then individuals can have the bragging rights on who has the most extensive Estes collection on the planet.

For an idea of what I am describing....look at this link from my coin collecting website....http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/registry/dimetop100_index.htm. Click on any of the collection names to see the individual collections.

Thomas Malthouse
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Are they for sale? I really want that space shuttle. Do you have the Hercules 1377? The hobby stores out of BT-50. Also, how many Interceptor-E's did I see? They sell for $50 at the local hobby store. Also, they don't carry the fat boy or the outlander. And pantherjon, that seems like a large collection.

rokitflite
03-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm proud of you Scigs30 :D !

Les
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
At least you folks are making me look "good" to my wife. I only have a measly 250 kits waiting :chuckle:

rokitflite
03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
I will take some pictures of my Box kits, Alpha III, Der Big Red Max, Challenger, Star Wars Torpedo, Star Trek rocket, all 5 of the boxed Goonies, Colonial Viper, Astrocam, 3 Mars landers, 2 Boxed Citation Bomarcs, and the list goes on. When I take them down for dusting, I will post pictures.

There were 6 Goonies though ;)

JRThro
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm proud of you Scigs30 :D !
What took you so long, Scott?
:D

jdbectec
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Mine's so unorganized I can't even take pictures of it! Are any of those cox motors D8-3's? that was a great motor, worked great in a Mars Lander, a converted Jupiter-C, and my Centuri mercury-Redstone! Thats one I wish was still around!

rokitflite
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Scott,

I have 3 full sets of Goonies and a few extras... I just don't know where they are at this moment, but I will find them.

Thanks, I have one of each of them so I am familiar with them... Here is a picture of much of my current collection :rolleyes:

Chas Russell
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow!

I started in 1967, but with the NAR section in Columbus, OH (O-H----I-O!). Got into competition and spent my limited funds there instead of buying kits.

Bought an Estes Thor Agena B and flew the snot out of it. Went back to the same small hobby shop to get another and they were gone.

If you have more than one kit and would like to part with it...please let me know.

I do have the original EStes balsa parts and BT-52, and the BMS balsa parts, and the SEMROC balsa parts and BT-52.

Still...

Chas

dwmzmm
03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow!

I started in 1967, but with the NAR section in Columbus, OH (O-H----I-O!). Got into competition and spent my limited funds there instead of buying kits.

Bought an Estes Thor Agena B and flew the snot out of it. Went back to the same small hobby shop to get another and they were gone.

If you have more than one kit and would like to part with it...please let me know.

I do have the original EStes balsa parts and BT-52, and the BMS balsa parts, and the SEMROC balsa parts and BT-52.

Still...

Chas

I used mostly parts from SEMROC to build my clone of the Estes Thor Agena - B last summer.
Got everything ready to go except the clear fin can :( . It's really a great model and fun
build.

kurtschachner
03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Uh oh. I seem to remember you mentioning that once before... :o

Let me look for that plastic one more time.

I used mostly parts from SEMROC to build my clone of the Estes Thor Agena - B last summer.
Got everything ready to go except the clear fin can :( . It's really a great model and fun
build.

Initiator001
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I have one of each of them so I am familiar with them... Here is a picture of much of my current collection :rolleyes:

Ah, I understand, now.

No wonder you couldn't open the front door to your home when I visited a few years, ago. :rolleyes:

Bob

lurker01
03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Firecat,

LOVE the Centuri and "K" Kits! Those are an indication of a true collector! And 4 Firecats ... VERY nice!

When I rediscover them, I will post pictures of my early 60s bins. I think I know where there are and I will look later today :) And yes, I actually have many kits that are 47 or so years old ... kinda scary when you think about it. In another half century, and I think I will be long gone by then, these things will be antiques!

Love your Website! It kinda reminds me of Leo's site, but everything is right on one huge page with thumbnails as opposed to links to sections.

I think I will do the same, use MySQL as a back end, and use tables that can store picture, count, and condition, as well as median auction value. I saved off the Pad 17 site, and now that the new guy Gerry has his site, I can just combine the two price lists. Lots of work but hey, its worth it! Anything and Everything for model rocketry!

Bob

Leo
03-06-2009, 07:38 AM

It kinda reminds me of Leo's site, but everything is right on one huge page with thumbnails as opposed to links to sections.

If you don't like it then at least don't mention my name or my site. And how do expect me to put over 475 kits on 1 page!?
Also, my site has been up since 1997, color scheme and all for the most part. Copycating is a sort of flattery in USA mentality I guess.

Ltvscout
03-06-2009, 07:55 AM
If you don't like it then at least don't mention my name or my site. And how do expect me to put over 475 kits on 1 page!?
Also, my site has been up since 1997, color scheme and all for the most part. Copycating is a sort of flattery in USA mentality I guess.
Leo,

Your site is awesome.

Ltvscout
03-06-2009, 07:57 AM
That's a great collection you have there, Mario. Glad to see you on YORF!

rokitflite
03-06-2009, 08:03 AM

I REALLY think you took Bob's comments totally the wrong way.

lurker01
03-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Ummm, I didn't say I didn't like it. Sorry to ruffle feathers.

I like the Thumbnail approach as opposed to the text link. Most of us know what a Big Bertha looks like or a SST Shuttle. I run my monitor at the highest res possible. Sometimes even with my 'youngish' eyes its hard for me to discern the fonts; especially after a long da's work in front of a monitor.

I think that a front page with links to sections is good; then once in the page, icons then allow you to quickly decide what you want to click on. The same way most porn sites display their images. You choose a category, then you are taken into that section and the eye candy commences.

In our case, the eye candy has names like: Firecat, Uprated Saturn, Black Widow, Valkyrie and the like.

Leo, you have a fine site and I have been visiting it ever since you put it up. I learned about your love of BMWs from the site. I am a Corvette/GTO man myself as I want PURE power; elegance is for sissys :) Just joking, but I want to be thrown back into my seat and feel as if my stomach is coming up through my throat!

There used to be a time when American cars would do that routinely... but those days are almost gone :(

Great site Leo, but I would do it a little bit differently :)

Bob

scigs30
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Leo, it is your site and builds that have inspired me to build OOP rockets. My goal is to build my collection of OOP kits. I have doubled up on some kits just in case I loose or damage one during flight.
Mario, you have a wonderful collection of rockets. Are you going to sell some of them, or are you just collecting? I am glad to see that you do build the OOp kits.
Right now I am just focusing of OOP Estes kits. I cannot image trying to collect and build Centuri or other manufacturers kits.

JRThro
03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Scott, I think you need more Saturns!
:rolleyes:

And what's that Mr. Potato Head ear for?
:eek:

Rocket Doctor
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Want to fill another storage bin with 19 cartons of later Estes kits and misc? Over $4000 for $2000 plus shipping.

I also have Star Wars figures and manuals.

Revell History Makers Saturv V.

Misc space materials

PM if interested
Thanks
RD

mycrofte
03-08-2009, 05:05 AM
About the same here. After getting a grandson a rocket for Christmas I decided to get back into rocketry. So, I am building the kits I wanted as a kid and couldn't afford. Even if I have to buy parts from different companies.

One I had, and will not rebuild, is the Estes Scissor Wing. The first time I flew it the wings ripped off and it came down and embedded in the ground.

gerryfortin
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
To be frank, I am blown away by the size of several collections featured in this thread. I thought that having 400+ Estes kits would be a major accomplishment, but then again one has to consider how dedicated other collectors are or were.

I just bought the no hangtag V-2 and Phantom off eBay plus a few other later kits. Maybe will be at 350 by next weekend. The V-2 and Phantom are my first two no hangtag kits; so fairly excited to receive soon.

Next update of the Estes database [www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm] will be by Thursday March 12 or there about. I'm starting to collect a few more price points for the K kits thanks to Dan selling his earlier kits including yellow hangtag vs. no hangtag listings.

Anyone serious about the idea of an Estes kit collection registry? Yes, I do know that the major collections would need to be inventoried for this type of project. I'm utlimately interested in knowing how many of the K and series 1200-1300 kits are still in collections. With all the BARs, I have to believe that Estes kit collecting in some sort of organized manner may be possible in the next 5-10 years. All we need is a reputable price guide and a way to evaluate kit preservation. Think of the possibilities...... Early Estes K kits going to the auction block as part of American space history....

lurker01
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
To be frank, I am blown away by the size of several collections featured in this thread. I thought that having 400+ Estes kits would be a major accomplishment, but then again one has to consider how dedicated other collectors are or were.

I just bought the no hangtag V-2 and Phantom off eBay plus a few other later kits. Maybe will be at 350 by next weekend. The V-2 and Phantom are my first two no hangtag kits; so fairly excited to receive soon.

Next update of the Estes database [www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm] will be by Thursday March 12 or there about. I'm starting to collect a few more price points for the K kits thanks to Dan selling his earlier kits including yellow hangtag vs. no hangtag listings.

Anyone serious about the idea of an Estes kit collection registry? Yes, I do know that the major collections would need to be inventoried for this type of project. I'm utlimately interested in knowing how many of the K and series 1200-1300 kits are still in collections. With all the BARs, I have to believe that Estes kit collecting in some sort of organized manner may be possible in the next 5-10 years. All we need is a reputable price guide and a way to evaluate kit preservation. Think of the possibilities...... Early Estes K kits going to the auction block as part of American space history....

Gerry,

For several years I have been reading the posts of others who talk about the size of their collections. I didn't want the world to know what I had because well it can and does cause issues; some positive and some negative. With that said, I just thought I would share some pictures of my collection. I did a quick inventory of what I have in my garage and work shop and its 473 rocket kits. So coupled with my 2300 in storage, I have conservatively over 2800 sealed model rocket kits ranging from 1960 through the late 1970s.

I think, but not certain, that I have the LARGEST and MOST diverse collection of 1960s and 1970s model rocket and related items on Earth; not just pallets of Alpha bulk packs. I have test cells, photos, negatives, movies, kits, catalogs, motors, international kits, and other one-of-a-kind items. I can't nor will I go into complete detail, but I have been busy :)

I was shocked when I learned that the Smithsonian only has around 450 or so models in storage! I have over 6 times that many; heck I could just open a model rocket museum all by myself should I win the lottery.

Well enough of what I have ... I am VERY interested in what is out there. I am sick and tired of buying the same kits over and over again and looking for new and unique items to add to my collection. A collector's registry would be awesome! I would support the effort in that I could be a litmus test for other collections.

I have some final pictures to post in the next few minutes. They give an overview of what and the amount of kits that I have. I wonder if there are any other collections as large and as old as mine? I have been looking but found nothing yet. It makes me far too paranoid to say the least :/

Bob

scigs30
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Wow, I am fascinated by some of the true collections that have been posted here. When I started this thread I should have titled it " My build pile is out of control". My collection of to build rockets are from the late 70's on and only consist of Estes. Most of the collections I've seen here are true vintage rockets from all the companies back in the day. Most of those rockets were produced before I was born. I have seen kits here that I've never seen sold on Ebay, I can only imagine what they are worth. Some of the kits posted should be in a museum for all to enjoy. Or if you are real crazy, bust one open, build it and send it flying :chuckle:

cas2047
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Good luck on all your collecting endeavours !

Bob - Great stuff and thanks for sharing!

I think you could start a Smithsonian of your own. :D

gerryfortin
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Bob et al.

The depth of collections posted here serve the point that I've been advocating. An Estes kit registry would be a vehicle for the rocketry community to truly understand the extent of leading collections. In numismatics, collections of this size and rarity are $million situation when going to auction. In the case of model rocketry, kit collecting is more like hoarding at the moment; there is no sophisticated why to measure the depth and quality of one collection vs. another. The registry would provide clarity.

Here is what I am thinking....how about we start a registry just for the K kits with no hangtags and the initial yellow hangtag. We would separate the kits accordingly as a start. Kits have to be fully mint (unopened) to be reported. Eventually, I would like to separate the kits into gem (hangtag in pristine condition with no fading, tubes are round and the balsa is not separated) vs. those kits that are average (hangtag folds, pricing stickers, balsa is separated, tubes may be oval). The gem kits should be worthy of display at a museum.

Lots of idea here....now I need to add some type of module on the www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm webpage to accomplish this. First step is to build an excel spreadsheet that collectors could download and add their kits to and email back to me. Let me try to do this in the next few weeks......

Who needs a full time job in China when one could be doing coins and rockets full time?

Mark II
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Since everyone is showing off their vast hoards of OOP kits, I thought I would do the same! Like many of you, when I pulled them all out, I found that I had many more OOP kits than I remembered. I have been amassing this collection since 2004.

You are envious, right? Come on, I know you are... ;)

MarkII

rokitflite
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM

MarkII

Well yeah... I want that Streak! :D

Mark II
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Well yeah... I want that Streak! :D
Yeah, well dream on! I have one of all of these kits, too... So step aside, guys, because my collection is totally out of control!!! :chuckle:

This is just the OOP portion of my bountiful supply, too. In the 5 years since I became a BAR, I think that I have amassed a pile that totals close to 90 kits. :eek: :p Totally sick!

(Geez, I better make sure that my wife doesn't see this... ;) )

MarkII

rokitflite
03-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Gimmie the Streak or I tell the wife! :eek:

Mark II
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Gimmie the Streak or I tell the wife! :eek:
Oh, please... Don't you have enough already?

I don't understand the impulse to hoard dozens of kits of the same rocket. I mean, I have one Astron Streak kit, Maybe someday if I get the chance, I will buy another one. But then that will be it; two kits will be enough for me. I would feel the same way about any other collectible kit that I might want to acquire, too.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find those pictures of storage units stacked full of bin after bin full of rocket kits to be quite disturbing, and not in a good way. I'm serious about this. When I worked in the Adult Protective Services unit of DSS, I encountered people like that as clients. There was always something sad and desperate about them.

MarkII

rokitflite
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM

MarkII

I was trying to make you feel good and go along with your above question/statement. :p ;) :D

Mark II
03-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, I mean no offense to the people involved, but having enormous hoards like that strikes me as a little, ummm, extreme... I don't understand where the motivation for it comes from, but maybe that's just me.

MarkII

rokitflite
03-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't understand the impulse to hoard dozens of kits of the same rocket. I mean, I have one Astron Streak kit, Maybe someday if I get the chance, I will buy another one. But then that will be it; two kits will be enough for me. I would feel the same way about any other collectible kit that I might want to acquire, too.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find those pictures of storage units stacked full of bin after bin full of rocket kits to be quite disturbing, and not in a good way. I'm serious about this. When I worked in the Adult Protective Services unit of DSS, I encountered people like that as clients. There was always something sad and desperate about them.

Well, I mean no offense to the people involved, but having enormous hoards like that strikes me as a little, ummm, extreme... I don't understand where the motivation for it comes from, but maybe that's just me.

MarkII

Well, you've chosen an excellent thread to come in and insult people who collect kits. You do the hobby your way, and let others do it theirs.

Der Red Max
03-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I find those pictures of storage units stacked full of bin after bin full of rocket kits to be quite disturbing, and not in a good way. I'm serious about this... There was always something sad and desperate about them.
Well, I mean no offense...maybe that's just me.
Nope, not just you!
There are a lot of jealous folk that suffer from an inferiority complex just like you and feel the same towards someone elses means.
Most of them are just not as anxious as you are to come out publicly!:D
I mean no offense.;)

barone
03-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Nope, not just you!
There are a lot of jealous folk that suffer from an inferiority complex just like you and feel the same towards someone elses means.
I mean no offense.;)
Now wait a second......that sounds like a liberal......."you got plenty, it's time for us to take some of yours and give it to others who don't have as much......" :rolleyes:

mycrofte
03-13-2009, 07:46 AM
That's right! Storm the castle, hang the king! Rockets for everyone!!!

rokitflite
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Nope, not just you!
I mean no offense.;)

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Lets see... If when you were young you chose to build 100s of models for the Estes flight/display program such that you ended up with thousands of dollars in MERCHANDISE cerftficates would you say "I'll just spend a couple hundred bucks worth and give the rest back to Estes"? If you walked into a store in the mid 80s and found the Maxi V-2 for $16 and there were 6 of them how many would you buy? If a friend of yours passes away and leaves you a collection of 300+ kits, would you get mad because there were multiples of many kits and turn down the collection? A friend at another hobby shop in the area GIVES you a box of rockets that a customer gave to him that had 2 birdies, 2 scouts, a mark 2 and a small V-2. Would you say "No, Keep it"? Or lastly, while trading with a fellow collector years back you get told that if you trade him a Centuri Saturn 1-B (which LUCKILY you have not just 1 but 2) He will trade you a 1/45th LJII by Centuri AND let you buy as many additional ones as you want for $30 each, would you say, "oh no... One is fine".

I have many more stories like this.

My point is, opportunities arose where I could obtain great models for great prices and did. Other people who truly loved the hobby would do the same thing. Don't get mad if the same opportunities did not present themselves to you.

Ltvscout
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
If a friend of yours passes away and leaves you a collection of 300+ kits,
And a closet full of Cinerocs. ;)

Der Red Max
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Now wait a second......that sounds like a liberal......."you got plenty, it's time for us to take some of yours and give it to others who don't have as much......" :rolleyes:

That's right! Storm the castle, hang the king! Rockets for everyone!!!

Not sure if these comments were directed at me, since my post was a rebuttal to Mark II's post.
In any event, where do you see in my post that I'm advocating to "take from the rich and give to the poor"?
For that matter, where do you see that in Mark II's post?

Mark II is saying there must be some mental imbalance in people who "horde" rockets or anything else.
I'm saying, don't say that there is something mentally wrong with those that just happen to have more than you, perhaps you need to look into yourself to see why you are "hating" on them.

Hate is not exclusive to one party.
Please folks, let's not turn everything into a political argument.
It will automatically invalidate your point of view in a serious political one because everyone will say "oh, that's that guy who screams out 'Liberal' everytime someone disagrees with his choice for a sandwich or whatever."

Personally, I'm tired of the Rush's of the world hijacking my party and making us look like Kool-Aid drinkers! That's supposed to be that other Party, but I digress...

rokitflite
03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Not sure if these comments were directed at me, since my post was a rebuttal to Mark II's post.
In any event, where do you see in my post that I'm advocating to "take from the rich and give to the poor"?
For that matter, where do you see that in Mark II's post?

Mark II is saying there must be some mental imbalance in people who "horde" rockets or anything else.
I'm saying, don't say that there is something mentally wrong with those that just happen to have more than you, perhaps you need to look into yourself to see why you are "hating" on them.

I did not read them at all as being directed towards you. Rather building on your rebuttal. :)

foose4string
03-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think anyone initially gets into this hobby with collecting as their main objective. I am far from a collector but have purchased a few kits from various hobby shops and forum friends that I knew were already or would soon be out of production. Some, were kits that I've eyeballed for years but never forked over the cash for, but wish I had, because it's something I've always wanted to build. And now, the kit has doubled in price....and you say to yourself, "man, I wish I had bought one when I had the chance!" So now you take the opportunity when it arrises, because we know these kits don't stay in production forever. Some, I see covered with dust in the corner of a shop... kits that have been OOP for 6+ years with the original price still on it. Do I buy them because they are OOP? Sometimes, but rarely. I buy kits because I have intentions of building them. But it's funny how the older, OOP, kits seem to always get pushed further down in the build queue. Not because I like it that way, but because the older they get, the harder it is to make myself slice open the package.

Moral of the story, it doesn't take long for a "build pile" to turn into a collection. ;)

Also, model rockets are expendable. We've all crashed, hung a rocket in a tree, or seen it drift away. I think this is justification to buy multiples in some people's minds. Maybe some do collect multiples for monetary value or "investment", but I think it goes deeper than that.

scigs30
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Mark II- Working for APS and people collecting stuff disturbed you? I am a Captain for a large fire department and I have seen a lot worse than that. What I think you are referring to is the people that collect "junk" and their house is in ruins. You can call that what you want but I call it "Fire load" I also encounter people with amazing collections that are well kept and a thrill to look at. For me I always wanted to build these kits when I was younger but could not afford them. Now I have the finances to buy and build these kits, and I will build most of the kits you see in my collection just look at my build threads. I have duplicates because I was able to acquire them at a good price and also I fly the rockets I build. I almost lost my Omega, but I have 2 more if needed. People like to collect for different reasons, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when people are spending money they don't have.

lurker01
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh, please... Don't you have enough already?

MarkII

Hello Mark,

My name is Bob and I am a Rocketholic. And yes in some ways, I am cRaZy.

I will go back and delete the photos as I think this is the best way to handle this issue.

Bob

jdbectec
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello Mark,

My name is Bob and I am a Rocketholic. And yes in some ways, I am cRaZy.

I will go back and delete the photos as I think this is the best way to handle this issue.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm Jeff and I'm a rocketholic too.

My collection is so Unorganized that I couldn't even get photo's to post.

I started out like most, looking for rockets I wanted but couldn't have as a child, seeking to replace rockets that were lost or destroyed.

I was counting on other peoples collections to inspire me to organize mine.

PLEASE don't delete your photos. I need them. :)

mycrofte
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello Bob

My name is Brian and I am a Rocketholic.

rokitflite
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
You guys are sad and desperate... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

mycrofte
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Admission is the first step to recovery...

Besides, it's only funny if more than one person does it!

Les
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM

Hello

So here is another person.

My name is Les and I'm a Rocketholic.

I've been a BAR for about 12 years now. My family thinks I have too many rockets. Thank goodness some of you guys make my collection look small - not that it helps with the family. :chuckle:

My main reason for the collection? I quickly got bored with 3FNC rockets. So whenever I had the opportunity to get cool looking SciFi, Fantasy, Odd-Roc, etc I would grab them, not knowing when a business may unfortunately fold (like Roque, Rocketvision, Shrox, etc). Also getting OOP kits from auctions, again not knowing when another may show up.

However, I have been slowing down on my purchases. Not so much because of the economy, but because of storage and "build reality"
I have been averaging a build rate of 10 rockets per year. With over 200 kits waiting in my "build pile", I'll be long gone before I finish. My only hope will be to increase the build rate once I retire. The only other problem is storage. Built rockets do take more room.
Hmmm - the kids are starting to move out. Anyone have suggestions on how to convince the wife to allow me to take over one of the kids room? :confused:

rokitflite
03-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Admission is the first step to recovery...

I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want to. I just don't want to right now... I do it because it makes me feel good. Its not like its hurting anybody... SHUT UP!!! All of you just shut up! I don't need ANY of you!!! I just need a few more rockets!!!

*Where is that darn telephone # for APS?*

Rocket Doctor
03-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Hello

So here is another person.

My name is Les and I'm a Rocketholic.

I've been a BAR for about 12 years now. My family thinks I have too many rockets. Thank goodness some of you guys make my collection look small - not that it helps with the family. :chuckle:

My main reason for the collection? I quickly got bored with 3FNC rockets. So whenever I had the opportunity to get cool looking SciFi, Fantasy, Odd-Roc, etc I would grab them, not knowing when a business may unfortunately fold (like Roque, Rocketvision, Shrox, etc). Also getting OOP kits from auctions, again not knowing when another may show up.

However, I have been slowing down on my purchases. Not so much because of the economy, but because of storage and "build reality"
I have been averaging a build rate of 10 rockets per year. With over 200 kits waiting in my "build pile", I'll be long gone before I finish. My only hope will be to increase the build rate once I retire. The only other problem is storage. Built rockets do take more room.
Hmmm - the kids are starting to move out. Anyone have suggestions on how to convince the wife to allow me to take over one of the kids room? :confused:

A couple of suggestions. First, get your wife involved in the hobby, she may be reluctant at first, but, take her to a launch and let her participate, hopefully, she will get the "bug" and you should be fine.

If you can't convince your wife to partipate, get her involced in a hobby of her own.

I don't know how much property you have, you could get a storage building/shed in the back yard to store your built up kits. We all tend to have that problem as well. Good luck and let us know what happens.

mycrofte
03-14-2009, 07:12 AM
You guys are sad and desperate... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

He's just THE MAN, trying to keep the rocketman down! lol...

mycrofte
03-14-2009, 07:20 AM
A couple of suggestions. First, get your wife involved in the hobby, she may be reluctant at first, but, take her to a launch and let her participate, hopefully, she will get the "bug" and you should be fine.

That's what I did. Took her out to launch a grandson's Christmas gift and she thought it was cool. Now she has a pink Estes Goblin after watching me build a few.

Rocket Doctor
03-14-2009, 07:29 AM
That's what I did. Took her out to launch a grandson's Christmas gift and she thought it was cool. Now she has a pink Estes Goblin after watching me build a few.

So, has she become a rocketeer? Has she given up the kid's room yet?

mycrofte
03-14-2009, 07:32 AM
So, has she become a rocketeer? Has she given up the kid's room yet?

Heck, she wants me to put recessed shelves in the wall like a shadow box to display them now!

Blushingmule
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

Well being a REBAR & all I just looked at my stash list; 60 or so kits. Many from the '80s & '90s
hobby shop days. Quite a few over the last year from Semroc and Flis.

During the winter I built several kits: Goliath, Centurion, Aerobee Hi,
Astro-1, and a L'il Hustler. The Astro was filled/primed recently during a warm
day and am waiting for the next good weather to paint it and
prime another. This is one way of getting part of the pile built.

As far as duplicates go, there are a few . One is a Semroc Sat. 1B that
I got in a package deal of 6 kits recently. Average kit price including
postage was just over $13 each and none of the others were unwanted.
I think I'm gonna need that spare 1B ;)

Bob

arlblaster
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I wasnt going to reply to this thread but then I thought what the heck....

I thought that I was addicted to accumulating (not really collecting) rocket kits. Well,after seeing some other peoples stuff,I dont feel so bad any more,lol.

I became a BAR about 4 years ago. All the kits that I have I actually intended to build...at the time that I bought them. I just couldnt build as fast as I could buy,lol. At last count I had about 230+ kits from at least 14 manufacturers. One differance between me and the collections that I see posted here is that I like to display them. I really enjoy browsing them almost as much as building them!!!!

I used to build and store rockets and kits in our spare bedroom. I quickly outgrew that.... My wife told me " find somewhere else to put all that rocket stuff!!". I then made the best deal of my life,lol. I agreed to clean our seriously cluttered pool house. In exchange,I could convert it into a 'rocket room' ,with her blessing!!!

I painted the upper half of the walls and the ceiling in midnight blue and randomly threw different color glitter into the wet paint to simulate space and stars. I built a 3.5 X 8 workbench and put up pegboard across the better part of a 20' wall to display my kits. Ive just about outgrew this room also,lol..... Ill post a few pics later.... Im partial to Sci-Fi and futuristic kits.

My workbench might seem cluttered (yea,I know it is) but its actually organized in my own mind,lol.

Ken

arlblaster
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Heres a couple pics of my fleet and workbench. On the bench I have a Semroc Saturn 1b and a Launchpad Exocet.

Ken

Blushingmule
03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Kneels and bows..."I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy..."

Heck you got more Elmer's than the local Lowe's :D

Bob

Les
03-14-2009, 09:31 PM
SWEET!!!!

I've never even seen a hobby store with such a collection.

You are making me drool.....

Ltvscout
03-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Nice! Now you just need to put a sign up that says Ken's Hobbies. :D

I really like the pegboard display idea.

arlblaster
03-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Kneels and bows..."I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy..."

Heck you got more Elmer's than the local Lowe's :D

Bob

Yea,lots o Elmers,lol!!!! Every year Wal Mart has a back to school sale on school supplies. I always pick up about a dozen bottles of Elmers for about 19 cents each!! I also get a new ruler,pencils and pens and a few small plastic bins to keep small parts in. I didnt take a pic of my parts shelves......

Ken

dwmzmm
03-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Yea,lots o Elmers,lol!!!! Every year Wal Mart has a back to school sale on school supplies. I always pick up about a dozen bottles of Elmers for about 19 cents each!! I also get a new ruler,pencils and pens and a few small plastic bins to keep small parts in. I didnt take a pic of my parts shelves......

Ken

Heck, near the beginning of our school year, one of my student threw away a full bottle of
Elmer's white glue in my bus' trash can. I asked him if he was sure he didn't want it, he said
"Yes, I'm sure," and I quickly took it. So, I basically got it for "free." :D

lurker01
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM

I thought that I was addicted to accumulating (not really collecting) rocket kits. Well,after seeing some other peoples stuff,I dont feel so bad any more,lol.

Ken

Ken,

Very nice idea!!! looks like we could walk right in and start buying OOP kits!

Somewhere out there in the world, there must be a whole-in-the-wall shop that still has 30+ year old kits with the original asking price still on them ... can dowsing help me find them? :P

Bob

Rocket Doctor
03-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Ken,

Very nice idea!!! looks like we could walk right in and start buying OOP kits!

Somewhere out there in the world, there must be a whole-in-the-wall shop that still has 30+ year old kits with the original asking price still on them ... can dowsing help me find them? :P

Bob

Several years ago I came across an auction in PA, mostly items from a closed hobby shop. Most of the buyers were interested in plastic models, trains and the such.

I picked up about 20 1970's vintage kits and a whole bunch of motors.

I'm sure there are a few mom and pop hobby shops out there ready to close that you can find.

mycrofte
03-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Don't laugh to hard, I've seen that! I've gone into shops that had stuff hanging for so long the labels were faded completely white.