PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus from MRN vol.13, no 4

jetlag
03-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi, folks,
I have a copied set of plans from, I think, Model Rocket News Vol. 13, No. 4, pgs 4-5. The rocket plan is for a NIMBUS, an SR-71ish-looking craft,but different all the same. Its base BT is an 18in BT-55 with 2 x 5in BT-20's as rocket boosters in the wings (non-functional!). Recovery is by an 18in parachute that is affixed to the ouside of the rocket at a hard point right at the cg with the expended motor still in the rocket. Comes down sideways 'balanced' under the 'chute.
Anyone ever build one?
Not that construction is at all difficult; I'd like to see the illustration in color if it exists,as it is neat looking. I can use my imagination, if required! :rolleyes:
I did not see this in YORS Plans section.
If you need to see the two pages, I'll hook up the scanner.
Thanks in advance!
Allen

LeeR
03-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I've got the TIFFs -- I have a lot of Estes Design Plans, and most of these came from downloading. I am not sure if these were from Jimz site. Two files are ~ 200K in size each, so I cannot attach here, but could send to anyone that wants them.

Bob H
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
The plans are on Jim Z's site along with a color photo of a completed model.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_81.htm

jetlag
03-01-2009, 11:31 AM
The plans are on Jim Z's site along with a color photo of a completed model.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_81.htm

Perfect!
Now, if only someone had the decals for it, I'd be set! I can duplicate the color scheme fairly easily (that's rhetorical!) enough.
Why didn't I think to go to JimZ's site, I cannot tell you!
Thanks-you, Bob and Lee!
Allen

LeeR
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I forgot about the "DOM" at the bottom of the JimZ page -- Design of the Month. I went back to look thru that list again and find some other plans of interest.

Three I built as a kid -- plans were either in an MRN, or in a mailing from Estes. I still have the original plans:

#21 -- Flying Jenny, the biplane glider
#22 -- Tiger Shark, with gliding booster stage
#28 -- Augie II, a unique 2 stage with no booster section

And, the one I always wanted to build, and only did this past year (pictured with the Testors Can from Hell ...):
#17 -- Cobra

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Astron%20Cobra/cobra.jpg

Sorry, this is a little off-topic since Nimbus was the subject ...

mojo1986
03-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Lee, looks like your Testor's can really gave it up, but it sure did a nice job on those fins along the way! Beautiful job on the Cobra!

Joe

PS..............sorry, I know this is a Nimbus thread, but I had to comment on the Cobra.

ghrocketman
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Your Cobra is beautiful, but you did the fins and nose cone in the opposite the colors are "supposed" to be. :D
Fins- Blue, NC- red

LeeR
03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Lee, looks like your Testor's can really gave it up, but it sure did a nice job on those fins along the way! Beautiful job on the Cobra!

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the compliment. I was fortunately outside painting with the red. Once I pressed down on the nozzle, it did spray, but I felt paint bubbling out the base of the nozzle. I quickly decided to keep painting, and the flow out the nozzle was huge! I kept the model turning to keep it from running.

Fortunately, I was wearing nitrile gloves (I always do with spray cans) and the glove got most of it. Otherwise, I think my hand would still be red ...

I really ought to take the can back and get a replacement!

gh,

Yep, I kind of forgot the sequence after looking at the color scheme in the '69 or '70 catalog. I promise to repaint it correctly and post new pictures ...
;)

mojo1986
03-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Lee!! Don't repaint................it's too nice! Heck, just build another one for the other paint job!

Joe

LeeR
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Lee!! Don't repaint................it's too nice! Heck, just build another one for the other paint job!

Joe

Oh, I was kidding ... and although I've not even flown this one yet, I am already planning a bigger BT-80 version with 3 X 24mm, probably for D12s. (Then I might do the red/white/blue again with "correct" application.)

:)

jetlag
04-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, the Nimbus is primed (Duplicolor primer), but I found a couple of deeper-than-I'd-like grain marks in a couple of places. I like the original paint job, so I think I'll try it. Here's what I got so far; Maggie is on guard in one of 'em! :rolleyes:
Looks eerily similar to an SR-71, doesn't it?
Still not exactly sure what I'll do for decals yet........

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/eirp_81.htm

Allen

sandman
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Ya know...I never liked that model even though I downloaded the plans from JimZ's well over 10 years ago.

But now that I see it all one color...I like it!

I think it was the paint job on the plans.

It needs a little more modern paint theme.

Thanks for starting this build. :)

mycrofte
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I think that looks a whole lot better than the original colors...

jetlag
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I think that looks a whole lot better than the original colors..

Really? Now you and Gordy have made me feel a little squeemish about that old paint scheme. I had kind of liked it, but I really have little imagination when it comes to 'thinking up' a new scheme. Often, I'll ask my 16yo daughter to come up with some ideas; she's definitely the artist in the family!
Any suggestions?
Since my last post, I've wet-sanded everything (I'm with TB on this---oh, how I LOVE sanding :rolleyes: ), so it's ready for a base color.

Allen