PDA

View Full Version : Skywinder

mycrofte
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I've been thinking of building the Skywinder if someone has one? Or even enough information to reverse engineer one if need be...

Zeus-cat
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
I have two busted ones I am trying to make into a single flyable rocket.

I love this rocket and wish someone would release a clone if Estes won't make more of them.

mycrofte
04-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I have two busted ones I am trying to make into a single flyable rocket.

I love this rocket and wish someone would release a clone if Estes won't make more of them.

Well, when you are done, send me the left over pieces and as much info as you can. I'll clone the thing myself. I think I still have an old Cox helicopter I can cut blades from. lol...

barone
04-01-2009, 07:01 AM
HHhhhmmmmmmm.....seems I have a couple still in the box..... :rolleyes:

mycrofte
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
It would be great if you could dig one out! I've looked at the new ones. They all have helicopter recovery for the nose cone but chute for the rocket.

Did these not go over very well or just that old?

barone
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
I think you might be confusing the Skywinder and the Helio-copter. The Helio-copter had the nose cone recover by auto-rotation while the BT recovered by parachute. There was a later version (can't remember the name off the top of my head.....maybe Helio-Cat :confused: ) that worked using the same principal.

The problem with the Skywinder is its fragility. The blades are made out of plastic and deploy backwards (hinged at the aft end of model) as opposed to what is normally seen. It's a relatively heavy rocket as well and tends to fall rather quickly. I don't know if someone had one last for longer than a few flights......I think I got maybe three with mine before I lost a blade because of the blade/hinge joint. So, I've got one in parts :( and two in boxes just becasue they were a cheap buy...... :D

mycrofte
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
No, I should have just worded that differently. I was thinking of the Estes Cosmic Cobra when I said "new ones".

I just found a Apogee Heli-Roc that is about identical to the Skywinder. I see what you mean by fragile watching their video. Looks like it shredded itself on landing...

SEL
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
No, I should have just worded that differently. I was thinking of the Estes Cosmic Cobra when I said "new ones".

I just found a Apogee Heli-Roc that is about identical to the Skywinder. I see what you mean by fragile watching their video. Looks like it shredded itself on landing...

Mycroft,

Check out the helicopter kits at QCR ( http://www.cybertravelog.com/qcr/helos.html ) - great quality kits, no frills packaging, proven designs.

Sean.

mycrofte
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
They have some cool stuff too. Would be nice if they had pictures though.

Thanx for the link!