PDA

View Full Version : Estes Saturn V

snuggles
03-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Not sure if I should post this here or not, but.......
I opened my Estes Saturn V kit and found that the BT101 /BT 80 ring set(for the SII-SIVB)
is missing. Anybody know where I can find a set???
Christine at Estes said they were out.
Thanks
Mark T

stefanj
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
The good folks at BMS can zap a ring for you, out of fiber, light ply, or balsa.

Carl@Semroc
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Mark,

Which Saturn V? K-36,#2001, or #2157?

Is the whole sheet missing or just the one ring?

snuggles
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Carl, it's 2157.
The whole sheet was missing.(2 rings, labeled as 3rd stage centering rings)
I just placed an order with Bill at BMS, he's going to cut me my rings.
Thanks anyway...
Mark

rocketguy101
03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Mark,

Is the whole sheet missing or just the one ring?

Carl! Stop teasing us! :D

barone
03-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Carl! Stop teasing us! :D
ROTFLMAO!

rocketguy101
03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Mark,

Ok I have a history question here, and I have tried searching here and different forums for the answer before asking...(coulda sworn I saw this answered somewhere, but...)

I have a Centuri KS-12 from the 70s that I never built--w/ the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing coming up, I am thinking about building this model. Of course, if another 1/100 kit from some other company shows up soon... ;)

Looking at the kit (I opened it in the 70s, just never got the guts to build it) I started wondering about the tubes used by Centuri. Their catalogs don't list tubes in these sizes (BT-101, BT-80, and BT-58) so did they buy their tubes from Estes?

On the pedigree of the Estes Saturn V (1/100)...
K-36 is the original w/ paper wraps
#2001 looks to be plastic wraps
#2157 is some sort of re-release (?)

Is 2001 or 2157 a re-packaged Centuri KS-12?

tbzep
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Their catalogs don't list tubes in these sizes (BT-101, BT-80, and BT-58) so did they buy their tubes from Estes?

Estes got their tubes from Euclid Paper Company. I imagine Centuri got theirs from the same place. The old Centuri kit's service module tube isn't the same size as the later Estes versions, and probably the K version as well. The Estes capsules have a very loose fit in the Centuri tubes. I've never tried to compare the main BT and the 3rd stage tubes between the companies.

dwmzmm
03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Ok I have a history question here, and I have tried searching here and different forums for the answer before asking...(coulda sworn I saw this answered somewhere, but...)

I have a Centuri KS-12 from the 70s that I never built--w/ the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing coming up, I am thinking about building this model. Of course, if another 1/100 kit from some other company shows up soon... ;)

Looking at the kit (I opened it in the 70s, just never got the guts to build it) I started wondering about the tubes used by Centuri. Their catalogs don't list tubes in these sizes (BT-101, BT-80, and BT-58) so did they buy their tubes from Estes?

These are the packaging boxes of the Estes & Centuri Saturn's I built within the past several years (with the K-36 model in between during the build)....

Royatl
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Centuri's model was released at least a full six months before Estes' kit. I know because I ordered my Centuri model in January 1969, and got it a few weeks later. Had it built by May. Ordered the Estes model as soon as I heard about it (they were showing it at launches and conventions starting in June), but it got put on back order and I didn't get it until September. I remember starting to build it in the living room as Ed Sullivan came on for the first show of the new TV season.

Both companies got tubes from Euclid Paper Tube Company.

#2001 is the redesign of K-36 (which used two BT-101s to fit in a short box, and separated at the command module!!) by the Centuri designer, Keith Niskern, who used a single tube for first and second stages, and had the rocket separate at the top of the S-II stage, as he did in the Centuri model, and he used larger than scale fins (the K-36 had used clear fins that wrapped around (originally) or strapped around (later) the scale fins. Otherwise, the detailing was the same as the K-36.

#2157 was the hybrid that Matt Steele (I think) put together of the #2001 and the Centuri kit. This was just the #2001 kit with the Centuri detailing featured.

--added-- the differences internally between 2157 and KS-12: KS-12 used a ST-16 as a motor mount/stuffer tube for the 3-18mm cluster, and in my kit at least, used balsa centering rings (I understand later kits used cardboard), while the 2157 uses BT-50 (or the slightly heavier style) for a single 24mm. Also, the command module was less detailed in the KS-12 and the escape rocket was skirt and cone on a 1/4" launch lug.

dwmzmm
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
--added-- the differences internally between 2157 and KS-12: KS-12 used a ST-16 as a motor mount/stuffer tube for the 3-18mm cluster, and in my kit at least, used balsa centering rings (I understand later kits used cardboard), while the 2157 uses BT-50 (or the slightly heavier style) for a single 24mm. Also, the command module was less detailed in the KS-12 and the escape rocket was skirt and cone on a 1/4" launch lug.

The centering rings of my Centuri Saturn - V were cardboards.

rocketguy101
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
#2157 was the hybrid that Matt Steele (I think) put together of the #2001 and the Centuri kit. This was just the #2001 kit with the Centuri detailing featured.

Thanks Roy! Nice bit 'o history! My KS-12 came later ('71 or '72), after EnerJets came on the scene. The CR's in my kit are like foam core board, but only about 1/8" thick. It has the slip-on clear fins (over the vacform fins).

I have an adapter to fly on a single EnerJet--I don't remember whether this came with the kit, or whether I ordered it seperately, it was in the box--from the look of these instructions, I must have been seperate.

tbzep
03-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Roy! Nice bit 'o history! My KS-12 came later ('71 or '72), after EnerJets came on the scene. The CR's in my kit are like foam core board, but only about 1/8" thick. It has the slip-on clear fins (over the vacform fins).

I have an adapter to fly on a single EnerJet--I don't remember whether this came with the kit, or whether I ordered it seperately, it was in the box--from the look of these instructions, I must have been seperate.

My Centuri kit came with parts to do a permanent 3x18mm cluster only. IIRC, the only commercial option at the time I got my kit in the mid-late 70's was the adapter sold by FSI for their E60 and F100. I built mine with a removable mount for 24mm and 3x18mm after seeing the Estes catalog recommend both motor configurations with their Saturn.