PDA

View Full Version : Centuri UFO Decal Art work request

Moon Shot
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I am building all the Centuri Super Kits. I cannot find decent artwork for the decals on the UFO Invader #5308. I have been to JimZ's web site. The artwork for the decals are in a tiff format and are not in great shape. Has anyone re-drawn these decals and can share?

barone
03-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know about re-drawn and share but you can buy them here.....

http://www.tangopapadecals.com/prod03.htm

or here....

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id28.html

scigs30
03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I just looked at the Centuri Super Kits and I must say those are some cool looking rockets. I never saw a Centuri kit or owned one growing up, but did most of their kits use the fiber board? I looked at the plans to the Super kits and most of them did not use balsa. When people built these kits did they replace the fiber board with balsa?

barone
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I just looked at the Centuri Super Kits and I must say those are some cool looking rockets. I never saw a Centuri kit or owned one growing up, but did most of their kits use the fiber board? I looked at the plans to the Super kits and most of them did not use balsa. When people built these kits did they replace the fiber board with balsa?
I only had one.......ESS Raven.......Fiber board and folded card stock. Went together well. Heavy sucker but used a sling type recovery system (came down horizontally). I'd like to build another someday, maybe use the fiber board patterns for making it out of balsa......

kurtschachner
03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I have this one about half redrawn. I started it about 8 years ago and never finished, it's somewhat hard with all those curvy things. Also there isn't a ton of repeats either but there are some.

I'll see what needs to be done to finish it up and maybe post in a day or two.

jetlag
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I am nearly finished with a restoration of a UFO Invader I bought off Ebay partially built. What a mess it was. All the 'fins' are, indeed, cardboard, not fiberboard. Also, fiberboard is much harder. The four wing pieces were warped in all kinds of directions and were unusable. I used 3/32 balsa for these parts, using the cardboard pieces as patterns. However, the 4 tails and 2 canards were in great shape. All I did with those was use thin CA on the edges to harden them, so they could be sanded smooth and rounded.
Phred is doing my decals at Excelsior; his are fantastic!
She's finished in the suggested silver (Krylon Silver Plate) and has been coated once with airbrushed Future (now Pledge) to seal the silver.
I replaced the old BT's and tank tubes with ones from Semroc; the old ones were dented or had lots of glue on them. All the plastic NC's were in fine shape.
The little paper fins around the engine nozzle were just fine.
The cardboard was used by Centuri, so modelers would not worry about having to seal the grain on balsa parts. Great in theory; not so good for longevity if you want to fly it more than once.
Used epoxy (5 and 30 min varieties) throughout, even for fillets (with balloons).
I'll add pics as soon as I can locate the camera.
Allen

kurtschachner
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Here you go.

GIJoe
03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I got a half kit sit in the build "Q". I will be using my surplus of Estes nose cones for it. The cardboard will also act as a guide for me to use balsa. Fortunately my kit had a complete set of usable decals in it. My kit will be close but not a perfect Centuri representation.

Joe

jetlag
03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I'll add pics as soon as I can locate the camera.
Allen

Here are the pictures I promised. I took some outside and inside to see which is better. Once the decals have been applied, I'll 'Future' her again to seal everything down.

jetlag
03-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Anybody build one with all the cardboard? How did she hold up during recovery?
Just curious..........

Moon Shot
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I just finished an ESS Raven with fiber fins. Turned out great. Had a place in Tenton Tennessee print me vinyl decals and designed it for the new C-11 of D size engine. I used picture frame matting material for the fins. I love it.

Moon Shot
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I have this one about half redrawn. I started it about 8 years ago and never finished, it's somewhat hard with all those curvy things. Also there isn't a ton of repeats either but there are some.

I'll see what needs to be done to finish it up and maybe post in a day or two.
Kurt,

What tools did you use to draw the decals? This art work if fantastic!