PDA

View Full Version : YORF's 1st Annual RBG Contest

Eagle3
04-30-2009, 11:45 AM
That's right, first annual baby. If this works out well then we'll have another. :D

Da Rulez:

1 - Open to all YORF members with the exception of Admins and Moderators.

2 - One entry per member.

3 - Designs must be original. Clones, up/down scales, scale models not
allowed. This is to be a creation of your mind, not someone else.

4 - Designs must be built and at least two photos submitted, one
static and one launch photo.

5 - Open to all types of Rocket Boosted Glider types, i.e. BG, RG,
RCRG, Parasite, etc

6 - Winner to be determined by poll vote. You must be a registered
forum member to vote.

7 - Voting period will begin 7/15/2009 until 7/29/2009. That means you have a month to get your entry in. The heat's on!

8 - Designs remain the property of the contestants.

9 - Prizes to be awarded to top finishers. The prize list will be published soon and there is some sweet stuff to be won! I kinda wish Scott would fire me as an Admin. :D

====================

This thread is for discussing the contest. The contest is meant to be fun, so pink book lawyers will probably get abused. ;)
A separate thread will be created for contestants to post their entries. Puleeze keep the OT posts out of these threads. Create a new thread in Free For All if you must.

rokitflite
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Not enough time! If its gonna be once a year give us a few months... :(

mycrofte
05-01-2009, 03:35 AM
I have several in mind. One I am actively working on now!

Eagle3
05-01-2009, 05:57 AM
The admins have taken time from drinking Scotc... er... tweaking the vbulletin code to convene a special rulez committee meeting and have decided to extend the build time for the contest. You have roughly 10 weeks now. Now if you'll excuse me. I have code to get back to. :D

Ltvscout
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm wondering if anyone is working on designs for this contest? We have a lot of great prizes which are listed here:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5211

Remember, voting on designs is set to start on July 15th.

Nuke Rocketeer
06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is working on designs for this contest? We have a lot of great prizes which are listed here:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5211

Remember, voting on designs is set to start on July 15th.

Between household maintenance work, HS graduations/parties, sports, scouts, and work, I barely have enough time for sleep. Maybe next year!!

FlyBack
06-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is working on designs for this contest?

I am... but I doubt it will be flown in time to enter. It is at the "two weeks" stage... and you know how that goes.

Regards

DJ

mycrofte
06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Most of the stuff I came up with ended up being a redesign of something...

rokitflite
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Cool contest, great prizes and a great forum, but with NARAM coming up and several complex models to build and some of the conditions (Clones, up/down scales, scale models not allowed), I'm not going to qualify to enter. Hopefully the next one will go for several months and include some of the winter "building" months ;) .

kevinj
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Does this count?
http://fliskits.com/services/dom/2003/03march/johnson_foxy_bg.htm

chanstevens
06-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Can it be a modification/bash of an existing kit? I converted a popular BG to RGB and could submit it fairly soon.

Eagle3
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Kevin - Yes
Chan - No (ref rule 3)

mycrofte
06-24-2009, 02:39 AM
So, does my miniature AstroBlaster count? I made it the same scale as the Starlight Sparrow, since it flew so well. It has no R/C so I call it AstroGlider. And, with no plans, I had to guess on everything from pictures.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Mycrofte/Current%20Build/Astro_Glider_B.jpg

jflis
06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
HHmmmm, I should enter the FlisKits Nanite....

It qualifies per rule #3:

3 - Designs must be original. Clones, up/down scales, scale models not
allowed. This is to be a creation of your mind, not someone else.

:D :D :D :D

DANLK66
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I just posted pics of the new glider I designed in another post. I will have to do a write up and submit it. :)

Eagle3
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
So, does my miniature AstroBlaster count? I made it the same scale as the Starlight Sparrow, since it flew so well. It has no R/C so I call it AstroGlider. And, with no plans, I had to guess on everything from pictures.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Mycrofte/Current%20Build/Astro_Glider_B.jpg

See rule 3

mycrofte
07-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Well, after doing some research, I think it is about as original as anyone can get. Over the years, if you look, just about every shape, size, and type has already been done. So, all I can do, is let the judges decide...

Eagle3
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Scott and I have discussed it and decided to postpone the end of the contest. Lack of entrants and and over abundance of prizes pretty much necessitates we hold off. We'll probably close it shortly after NARAM, but as soon as we have a solid date I'll post it here. For now, continue to submit your entries.

STRMan
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm glad the contest is continuing. I've just come up with an original idea (at least original to me!) for a RBG and I am going to give it a try.

Ltvscout
07-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm glad the contest is continuing. I've just come up with an original idea (at least original to me!) for a RBG and I am going to give it a try.
That's great! The more, the merrier. ;)

mycrofte
07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Even if mine was the only entry, I wouldn't expect all that stuff. I say hold any left over prizes until next year. But, I would like for there to be at least three entries for top 3 spots...

timorley
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm glad it's continuing too. I hadn't noticed the contest until this past weekend. Might motivate me to finish my scratch glider project.

DANLK66
07-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Now I feel bad for being the only one to read the rules and actually do something.

FlyBack
07-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Now I feel bad for being the only one to read the rules and actually do something.

I think you rate a consolation prize. Your's was the only entry before the deadline and within the rules. Nice looking model too! However, with the deadline being extended I might actually have some competition for you... soon, two weeks for sure. :) Build thread here (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5219).

Regards,

FlyBack

DANLK66
07-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I would agree.

mycrofte
07-14-2009, 06:59 AM
I think you rate a consolation prize. Your's was the only entry before the deadline and within the rules. Nice looking model too! However, with the deadline being extended I might actually have some competition for you... soon, two weeks for sure. :) Build thread here (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5219).

Regards,

FlyBack

Gee, thanx. I'll just burn mine in the backyard then...

FlyBack
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
mycrofte

Your AstroGlider is a very nice looking model. Please don't burn it. You could probably even convert it to R/c using the AR6400 DSM2 6CH Ultra-Micro Receiver/ESC by Spektrum (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6400). However, I think the admins have spoken...

See rule 3

Regards,

FlyBack

mycrofte
07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I don't know who the admins are. And I don't see how the other entry is any more original than mine. The other entry looks like a modified Manta to me?!?

That was why I stated that after 50 years of design, just about every shape and type has been done in one form or another. But, if the judges say so, then so be it...

Ltvscout
07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, I don't know who the admins are. And I don't see how the other entry is any more original than mine. The other entry looks like a modified Manta to me?!?

That was why I stated that after 50 years of design, just about every shape and type has been done in one form or another. But, if the judges say so, then so be it...
I am the site owner and Eagle3 (Buzz Nau) is my trusty assistant/admin/moderator. Buzz put this contest together, I just helped secure most of the prizes.

Buzz stated your entry violates rule #3 which clearly states up/down scales of existing designs are not allowed. We decided to extend the length of the contest due to the lack of entries. You're more than welcome to submit another design.

mycrofte
07-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Well, now I know.

And knowing is half the battle...

DANLK66
08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
What is the end date for the contest now?

Eagle3
08-19-2009, 08:49 AM
November 14.

DANLK66
08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks

rokitflite
01-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Is there gonna be a second annual contest??? I'm ready for this year! :D

zog139
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry that I missed this last time around , so I am also curious to know if you might do this again ?

Ltvscout
01-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm not inclined to do it due to the tepid response the first time around. We even extended the contest by a few months!

rokitflite
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not inclined to do it due to the tepid response the first time around. We even extended the contest by a few months!

Too bad.

zog139
02-01-2010, 10:35 PM
What a shame, I know "running" stuff can be a pain, but sometimes.......... at least in my expierience you have to do things a couple times to get something rolling ?

Did you get volunteers for prizes last time ? I've been on this forum for a while now but somehow missed this the first time around.

foose4string
03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I missed it somehow too. Since this is a relatively new forum section, I often forget to check out the threads here. I don't have any glider ideas ATM, but I'm getting the itch to do something original for a change. Another glider contest might be just the ticket to get the creative juices flowing.

Ltvscout
01-20-2013, 07:55 PM
For those talking about wanting another RGB contest, read post 36 in this thread.

SecretSquirrel
01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I understand how you feel, Scott. The last couple of contests we did for Squirrel Works , we had very light interest. In fact, the last contest generated more complaints than entries. That really puts a damper on things and plans for any future contests are on hold.