PDA

View Full Version : GSE: Club PA system

Bob Kaplow
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
[I don't see a place her for discussing Ground Support Equipment. If there's a better place for this thread, please relocate it.]

NIRA is looking to replace it's tired old PA system that never really was that great with something more powerful and robust, using the NAR Safety Grant funding. We want something that runs on 12V so we don't need an inverter.

I really like the concept that ROCI uses, with distributed PA satellites, each with an FRS radio, a 12V PA, and a speaker.

So I'm looking for recommendations for good (not radio shaft) 12V PA systems. Any one have any suggestions?

Any one used a car stereo amp? You wouldn't have a volume control, so you'd have to use the FRS radio to control volume, or have an add-on control. My earbuds dont fit my Motorola FRS radios. Any one know what size jack they use?

billspad
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Any one used a car stereo amp? You wouldn't have a volume control, so you'd have to use the FRS radio to control volume, or have an add-on control.

Yes. With a wireless mic and a preamp with a volume control in the mic transmitter and the preamp. Can you leave an FRS radio constantly transmitting without getting in trouble with the FCC?

sandman
05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes. With a wireless mic and a preamp with a volume control in the mic transmitter and the preamp. Can you leave an FRS radio constantly transmitting without getting in trouble with the FCC?

That is exactly what I saw EARS (East Anglican Rocket Society) use when I went to a launch in Cambridgeshire, England. I thought it was a really neat and cheap fix.

Bob Kaplow
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
The LCO mike is keyed just like any FRS radio. Only transmitting when the LCO is talking.

The radios tied to the PA system squelch when no signal is received, and never transmit anything.

billspad
05-04-2009, 06:17 AM
The LCO mike is keyed just like any FRS radio. Only transmitting when the LCO is talking.

The radios tied to the PA system squelch when no signal is received, and never transmit anything.

Can you get FRS radios with a headset and VOX?

Bob Kaplow
05-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Can you get FRS radios with a headset and VOX?

I know Gassaway uses one when he does tracking DR at NARAM.

falingtrea
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Some of the better Motorola FRS radios had VOX on them. I still have a couple of them that I bought when I was still working for Motorola, many years ago.