PDA

View Full Version : Parachutes

mycrofte
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I decided to try making some parachutes from a 13 gallon kitchen bag. I soon realized they would be hard to see and very boring. So, using some tattoo designs from the internet, I added a little art to them.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Mycrofte/Rocketry/PARACHUT.jpg

CPMcGraw
05-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Those would be great for a "ninja" style rocket, or something else in the 'oriental' frame of mind...

How are you transferring the image to the plastic?

mycrofte
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I discovered flexographic printing is VERY expensive. So, I just printed them out on paper and traced them with a permanent marker. Which is the only thing I could find that sticks to plastic and won't smear or flake off. The bag material is translucent enough to see very well.

Chris_Timm
05-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Mylar balloons work very well for chutes, mostly being of the round variety, plus you get 2 chutes per balloon when you peel the halves apart.
Highly visible as well and usually free once they are deflated from their special occasion use.
Heat resistant but not really flame-proof.

barone
05-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Mylar balloons work very well for chutes, mostly being of the round variety, plus you get 2 chutes per balloon when you peel the halves apart.
Highly visible as well and usually free once they are deflated from their special occasion use.
Heat resistant but not really flame-proof.
LOL........My grandaugter has to have a mylar balloon everytime we go to the store. Of course, they're stacking up. I started doing just as you suggests and making parachutes out of them........Looking forward to seeing her face the first time I launch one...... :)