PDA

View Full Version : Building the Saturn V

Rocket Doctor
05-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Who plans on building a Saturn V for this years 40th Anniveersary? Who will be going to NARAM 51 with their Saturn V?What scale and kit # and what vendor.

Thanks

RD

Spaceclipper
05-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I plan on finally getting to mine, trying to decide on whether to go to dual 24mm or keep the original single motor mount. Going to LDRS instead this year....
Spaceclipper

Royatl
05-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I've started one. Currently evaluating a problem with a gaping difference between the paper transition and the plastic wrapper.

Attending NARAM 51 is becoming iffier by the day. We'll see.

dwmzmm
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Already built mine (a vintage Estes K-36) last year. Just gotta get ready to launch it this
July! Oh, the launch will be here in the Houston area (sorry, not going to NARAM - 51 :( ).

jetlag
05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm "restoring" one that some poor fellow with a lot of thumbs tried to put together. I think he gave up when wrappers weren't lining up. :mad:
Main BT needs a lot of work.
Oh, this one is a Centuri, probably about 1974? The box is the second one they used; blackish and taller than the white cardboard box used in the earlier kits. It's kind of a mess! Wish me luck!
Allen

dwmzmm
05-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm "restoring" one that some poor fellow with a lot of thumbs tried to put together. I think he gave up when wrappers weren't lining up. :mad:
Main BT needs a lot of work.
Oh, this one is a Centuri, probably about 1974? The box is the second one they used; blackish and taller than the white cardboard box used in the earlier kits. It's kind of a mess! Wish me luck!
Allen

The Centuri box looks something like this?

jetlag
05-15-2009, 07:24 PM
No, Dwmzmm,
Like this...Can you pin the year? I'm really just curious. It should look really nice when I'm done. These kinds of things, though, often seem to take a lot more work...which is OK, I guess, if you have the time.

rosko_racer
05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I do not have an Estes or Centuri Saturn V. The only thing that I have close to any of these two are the plastic parts (engine nozzles and details, no wraps, capsule parts? ) of the Estes Saturn V I got through Estes before they stopped selling parts.

But I have a Dr Zooch's Saturn V that I may put together this summer for NARAM 51.

MKP
05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
If Estes actully comes through with with one I will. Guess, I should get a Dr. Zooch just in case. :rolleyes:

sandman
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Here's mine.

I built this a while ago but haven't launched it yet.

I will at NARAM

Notice the globe I found in a store room at some school.

The Principal looked at it and said, "Oh, it has a dent in it! Do you want it?"

Well...DUH!!

YES!

OH, yea...notice the old VW add on the wall. :)

"It's ugly but it gets you there."

CPMcGraw
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a 30th Anv. edition that I picked up at Hobby Lobby when they still had 50% off sales. I suppose now is as good a time as any to start it...

Gus
05-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a Peter Alway Saturn V and a Cox Saturn V I hope to fly at NARAM.

I like Sandman's moon globe. I have a special globe too, but mine is of earth.

Can anybody tell me what the lines on it represent? :)

stefanj
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I SHOULD build one. I have an Estes kit and the Apogee kit, and also a nice set of plastic models (Redstone through Saturn V). But I've been feeling so unambitious lately. Just doing something like marking a body tube or sanding some fins is a big accomplishment these days.

Maybe I need antidepressants, or more coffee, or to lose my energy-sucking job.

garmtn
05-16-2009, 02:30 AM
For those of u thinking about it, Go with any cluster from 2 motors on up. With amount of work I put into mine, I regret not going with a 29mm motor mount or a cluster. Still impressive though on an E30.
Yes I will be @ Naram 51, Saturn V in hand. ;) ;) ;)

mperdue
05-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Here's my most recent Saturn V model - a 1:70 scale Apogee kit. The LUT and base aren't complete yet but I'll be working on them this weekend.

Mario

Rocket Doctor
05-16-2009, 07:18 AM
The Centuri box looks something like this?

Dave

There is another box, I have two from when the Centuri Saturn V originally came out. I also attended the Pittsburg Spring Convention when both Vern and Lee were showing their "new" Saturn V's.

Rocket Doctor
05-16-2009, 07:32 AM
No, Dwmzmm,
Like this...Can you pin the year? I'm really just curious. It should look really nice when I'm done. These kinds of things, though, often seem to take a lot more work...which is OK, I guess, if you have the time.

Centuri kit # K-21 Copyright 1969
Included in the kit was literature that included

Saturn V assembly instructions

On the last page it states,"Should you have any questions or wish to make any comments regarding this kit, please address your card or letter to:
Centuri Engineering Company
R & D Department
P.O. Box 1988
Phoenix, Arizona 86001

Important Notice

This kit can be converted to ENERJET power.

Apollo Saturn A Picture History ( 8 pages)

Centuri Technical Information report TIR-52
Reliable Cluster Ignition

Rocket Doctor
05-16-2009, 07:45 AM
I have a Peter Alway Saturn V and a Cox Saturn V I hope to fly at NARAM.

I like Sandman's moon globe. I have a special globe too, but mine is of earth.

If I am correct, they should be the orbit path of Col John H. Glenn, Jr flight on February 20, 1962 . LIftoff of MA-6 from Pad 14 at Cape Canaveral Fla at 15:47:39 with booster engince cut off at 2 min,33.4sec and sustainer engine cut off at 5 min,1.4 sec and a ve4loscity of 25,730 ft/sec
The 100 X 1.62.2 mile initial orbit had a period of 1 hr 28 min 29 sec
Spoacecraft (no 13) Friendship &

Information from
Spacecraft and Rocketry - a chronology by David Baker ISBN 0-8160-1853-7 copyright 1996

Rocket Doctor
05-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Here's my most recent Saturn V model - a 1:70 scale Apogee kit. The LUT and base aren't complete yet but I'll be working on them this weekend.

Mario

Great build Mario.
Tell us about that tower.

jflis
05-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I will be at NARAM and am hoping to fly a few Saturn models (1B and V).

Should be good :) Hope we can set up near the sport range!

mperdue
05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Great build Mario.
Tell us about that tower.
The tower is the one that I built for my article in the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of LAUNCH Magazine. I built it to go with the Sirius Rocketry Saturn V but due to a pattern printing error it turned out smaller than it should have. As luck would have it, it's very close to 1:70 scale so I decided to build a new Saturn V to go with it because that was much easier than building a new tower. I'm currently doing a bit of minor repair and adding the base shown in the photo. I may also add some plumbing and some maintenance arms for looks. This tower is a prototype for a more accurate model that I plan to build later.

Mario

barone
05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
(snip)......

Gemini 3 flight?

Gus
05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
If I am correct, they should be the orbit path of Col John H. Glenn, Jr flight on February 20, 1962 . LIftoff of MA-6 from Pad 14 at Cape Canaveral Fla at 15:47:39 with booster engince cut off at 2 min,33.4sec and sustainer engine cut off at 5 min,1.4 sec and a ve4loscity of 25,730 ft/sec
The 100 X 1.62.2 mile initial orbit had a period of 1 hr 28 min 29 sec
Spoacecraft (no 13) Friendship &

Information from
Spacecraft and Rocketry - a chronology by David Baker ISBN 0-8160-1853-7 copyright 1996Could you be a little more specific? ;)

Very good, Ken.

I picked the globe up on eBay about a year ago for $5. It's amazing to realize that Glenn's flight was such a huge deal that people would want to buy a globe with the orbit lines printed on it. I'm really glad somebody saved it all these years and put it up on eBay.

Rocket Doctor
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Could you be a little more specific? ;)

Very good, Ken.

I picked the globe up on eBay about a year ago for $5. It's amazing to realize that Glenn's flight was such a huge deal that people would want to buy a globe with the orbit lines printed on it. I'm really glad somebody saved it all these years and put it up on eBay.

Steve

Glenn is my favorite Astronaut, I have a folder containing information on his flight, newspaper articles from that time and other items.

Ken

ga1ba2
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I am waiting on the Estes or Semroc release. I know Estes won't give out any more info. Carl how about an update on your Saturn V . Haven't heard anything since April.

Carl@Semroc
05-21-2009, 12:11 AM
I am waiting on the Estes or Semroc release. I know Estes won't give out any more info. Carl how about an update on your Saturn V . Haven't heard anything since April.That's because I am working about 20 hours a day on it!

This is much more complex than the Saturn 1B. It will not be a Retro-Repro of any existing Saturn V kit, since none of them were very good starting points. We should have more news over the next week or so. We still have a target introductory price of $50. RockSim shows it stable with scale fins and a 24mm engine. Plumbum will be necessary with the cluster option.

BEC
05-21-2009, 02:28 AM
"plumbum"? I guess I'm not yet up to speed with all the vernacular....

Based on my experience with your other products, your Saturn V, when available, is on my "get it now" list.

dwmzmm
05-21-2009, 05:39 AM

Based on my experience with your other products, your Saturn V, when available, is on my "get it now" list.

Ditto.

Bill
05-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Plumbum will be necessary with the cluster option.

Hey, who are you calling a lead butt?

Bill

pantherjon
05-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey, who are you calling a lead butt?

Bill

You have lead in your bum?!?!?!!? :eek:

:chuckle:

tbzep
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM

The chemical for lead is Pb for a reason. :D

Carl@Semroc
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
If I use the Latin name, maybe the CPSC will not think our kits are "designed or intended for a child of 12 years of age."

Ltvscout
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
If I use the Latin name, maybe the CPSC will not think our kits are "designed or intended for a child of 12 years of age."
You're assuming that the CPSC thinks. :D

Initiator001
05-21-2009, 07:17 PM
That's because I am working about 20 hours a day on it!

What?!

You're ONLY working 20 hours a day on the Saturn V kit? :confused:

There's still four hours left in each day that you could be working on getting this model ready.

Stay focused!

:rolleyes: :eek: :D ;)

Bob

BEC
05-22-2009, 01:03 PM
The chemical for lead is Pb for a reason. :D

Gaaak! That's two things I should've figured out without asking in one day. :o Thanks.

BEC
05-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Good point....

tbzep
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Gaaak! That's two things I should've figured out without asking in one day. :o Thanks.

No reason to be embarrassed. I left out the word "symbol" when I posted it. DOH! :eek:

Matt38
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Where did you find the LUT and base? I have been looking for this for my Apogee Sat V.

wilsotr
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Where did you find the LUT and base? I have been looking for this for my Apogee Sat V.

Try this link ....

http://educraftdiversions.org/

.... page down and you'll find a 1:70 paper model of the LUT and MLP available for $120 or so. I bought one awhile back, but haven't put it together.