View Full Version : For All You Saturn Fans

conleyt
05-20-2009, 07:18 PM
This looks cool!

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3166

Tom C.

mycrofte
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Those of us not on TRF can't see them!?!

jflis
05-21-2009, 05:23 AM
I apologize for not getting this in here sooner. Been busy with the Boys & Girls club classes this week (been a heck of a week!)

That thread is a sneak peek into our 1:282 Saturn 1B kit that we are hoping to announce in June. Originally it was slated for a NARAM announcement until we noticed the Peanut Scale event so we moved up the release date as much as we could.

Here are some photo's (ignore the scale shown on the decal sheet, it's really 1:282)

First pix: decal sheet. Water slide (silk screened)
Next: overall pix of the model
Next: Closeup of the nose cone (nothing special, just a conic cone)
Next: close up of the mid-body detail

Thoughts???

jflis
05-21-2009, 05:24 AM
That "T-121" is from Jay Marsh's team from NARAM in 1992. This was his actual entry in that event, for which he took first place. He gave the model to me as a thank you for designing it for him (actually, he came to me about the model I had already designed. Jay then helped me work out the scale inconsistencies I had with the design)

Our current goal is a mid-late June release. All of the documentation is complete and is being reviewed/proofed at this time. I am working on the final proto build while having another built elsewhere.

This was a staggering amount of work and I hope everyone is as pleased with it as I am.

For specs, it is 9.31" tall, 0.976" diameter, 1.73" fin span, 13mm power.

This will be listed as a Skill Level 4 but will include hints and tips to build it as a SL3 and a SL5 also.

I have attached an example of what the cover art is going to look like and I welcome feedback from the rocketry community. If this kit meets the needs/desires of the rocketry community we will do more of this caliper. I just have to gear myself up to grind through the work that goes into such a project LOL

As I said, this is just a sneak peak. We have no firm announcement date at this time, just goals. Most custom parts have been ordered and I am awaiting additional feedback on various things, but keep watch and feel free to provide feedback on what you have here and to ask questions.

Have fun,
jim

Bill
05-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Next: overall pix of the model

Ooohhhh...lookee at all of those fiddly bits, even at that scale...

Bill

Ltvscout
05-21-2009, 07:43 AM
That thread is a sneak peek into our 1:282 Saturn 1B kit that we are hoping to announce in June. Originally it was slated for a NARAM announcement until we noticed the Peanut Scale event so we moved up the release date as much as we could.

Thoughts???
Very, very nice, Jim!

BEC
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
... until we noticed the Peanut Scale event so we moved up the release date as much as we could.

Jim, that's lovely!

A question: what is the definition of "Peanut Scale" in the rocketry community? In model airplanes it's a wingspan of 13 inches or less or an overall length of 9 inches or less (for something with a really high aspect ratio wing). But in rockets....what?

(and then there's walnut scale, coconut scale.....but I think only peanut scale was ever codified in the AMA free flight rules)

ghrocketman
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
This one sounds GREAT !
Would it be possible to modify it for 18mm power instead (is there room) ?

sandman
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Jim, that's lovely!

A question: what is the definition of "Peanut Scale" in the rocketry community? In model airplanes it's a wingspan of 13 inches or less or an overall length of 9 inches or less (for something with a really high aspect ratio wing). But in rockets....what?

(and then there's walnut scale, coconut scale.....but I think only peanut scale was ever codified in the AMA free flight rules)

I think it's BT-20 or under 11.8" tall.

I think.

Eagle3
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
That is awesomely cool Jim. That could persuade me to build another Sat 1b. ;)

Bill
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM

The model must be no more than 30 centimeters in overall length or no more than 2 centimeters in body diameter.

http://www.nar.org/pinkbook/53_SPSC.html

Bill

chanstevens
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM

I think.

That's about right. Formally 2 cm diameter OR 30 cm length. That would actually allow Quest tubing aka TT-20.

Interesting bit of trivia--there's one model that can be built to scale and with same model/scale factor would qualify for sport scale, peanut sport scale AND giant sport scale (which has to be >100 cm tall or 10 cm diameter/31.4 cm circumference). Sandman recently provided someone parts for it, I think, and it's got a build thread running on TRF.

jflis
05-21-2009, 06:59 PM
This one sounds GREAT !
Would it be possible to modify it for 18mm power instead (is there room) ?

Not a chance... :) I can barely fit 13mm into it (you have to cut the BT-2 fuel tubes to fit around THAT core tube even....

tbzep
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Not a chance... :) I can barely fit 13mm into it (you have to cut the BT-2 fuel tubes to fit around THAT core tube even....

Is BT-2 the stuff that's in the USS Grissom kit sitting in my build que? If so, those are some tiny tanks. :cool:

jdbectec
05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
That's about right. Formally 2 cm diameter OR 30 cm length. That would actually allow Quest tubing aka TT-20.

Interesting bit of trivia--there's one model that can be built to scale and with same model/scale factor would qualify for sport scale, peanut sport scale AND giant sport scale (which has to be >100 cm tall or 10 cm diameter/31.4 cm circumference). Sandman recently provided someone parts for it, I think, and it's got a build thread running on TRF.

PEPP Aeroshell?

sandman
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
PEPP Aeroshell?

Yep! that would be under the length limit.

KD5NRH
05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
For specs, it is 9.31" tall, 0.976" diameter, 1.73" fin span, 13mm power.

I'm holding out for the more realistic version with a cluster of 8 6mm engines for the first stage and a single 18mm for the second. :p

jflis
05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Is BT-2 the stuff that's in the USS Grissom kit sitting in my build que? If so, those are some tiny tanks. :cool:

That would be yes :) And they ARE tiny tanks. The only problem is that I can't do a Mercury Redstone in the same scale... (BT-2 is too small for a MMX motor)

But, with the help of Sandman, I hope to have a nice micro line of scale kits from the US manned space program, so keep watch :)

BEC
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
The model must be no more than 30 centimeters in overall length or no more than 2 centimeters in body diameter.

http://www.nar.org/pinkbook/53_SPSC.html

Bill

I opened the Scale section of the pink book in another window and looked before I asked , but obviously didn't look well enough. :o Thanks.

sandman
05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
That would be yes :) And they ARE tiny tanks. The only problem is that I can't do a Mercury Redstone in the same scale... (BT-2 is too small for a MMX motor)

But, with the help of Sandman, I hope to have a nice micro line of scale kits from the US manned space program, so keep watch :)

I hope to be able to do that soon...I hope. :rolleyes:

DWolman
05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Jim,

Would loaning you back the micro Mercury Redstone or Saturn V kits you did in the 90's help with bringing those models back? I have them available if you would like -

Dan

jflis
05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Jim,

Would loaning you back the micro Mercury Redstone or Saturn V kits you did in the 90's help with bringing those models back? I have them available if you would like -

Dan

Dan,
No, but man I would love to see those again :) Bring 'em by a launch some day so I can take some pictures of them. They would make great additions to the history of these designs. do you have the 1B?

very kewl. I knew you had them too :)