PDA

View Full Version : Estes Alien Explorer

Patriot Pilot
11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Fall is here and daylight is scarce, at least when I get home, so its time to start a new project.
So the first will be the Estes Alien Explorer.
I got the plans together and have started building I just need some more balsa.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-01-2005, 10:13 PM
You don't have any babies around your house anymore. Where are you going to find that color green? :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
IF you manage to finish this, it will make for a nice looking rack at VOA alongside my Andromeda and the Rokitflite Odyssey. (Assuming that I manage to finish the Andromeda, which is approaching its fifth anniversary in my build queue. :rolleyes: ;) :eek: )

Patriot Pilot
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
You don't have any babies around your house anymore. Where are you going to find that color green? :eek:
Krylon's got a metallic green that would look much better than that baby puke green.
And unlike the strikefighter it will be finished sooner than later.

Patriot Pilot
11-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Progress. So Far.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Krylon's got a metallic green that would look much better than that baby puke green.
And unlike the strikefighter it will be finished sooner than later.

I was thinking more along the lines of the baby's other end. :eek:
As for the Strike Fighter, those decals aren't close to being ready, so take your time. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Progress. So Far.

The sad thing is, that's the same amount of progress I've made on the Andromeda in 4.75 years. :o :rolleyes: :eek: :D
Are you flying this weekend? If I go, it has to be Sunday and the weather isn't looking all that great.

Green Dragon
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Progress. So Far.

hmm.. you;re making me look bad now, lol....

or at least slow .

started on my own Alien Explorer a couple months ago but got sidetracked to other projects :-)

using original vintage large fins-short dowels - had the pods but not sure where they went, so new ones are in order, I guess.

did print the decals from Kurts page, came out real nice, so that's a motivation to get working on it .

I did try to cut my own rings for the outside , then saw a note they were 5055 rings ? , so just got three from BMS, slightly thicker than original, but beats my two-layers-of-65lb cardstock-laminated-together ones.

one a side note (applies more to the SS Cassiopia,a close cousin I;d like to try next ) - is a need for precut .5" to 1/8" dowel rings... am having to cut those for use on my Starship Excalibur (# 1920) and it's a royal pain :-( , also two layers of cardstock .
these are also used on such kits as the Mars Snooper 2, etc so would be a nice item for someone to offer ( Carl, you listening , lol.. laser cut or diecut paks of .516 to .125" rings.. sign me up for a few :-)

~ AL

Patriot Pilot
11-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I have some matte board that I was going to try out on the scroll saw. I've cut smaller rings out with it before I just have to layer and cut the center out first. If I cut two out at a time it won't rip apart. The secret is to glue two pieces together, but don't get any glue on the part you want to save.

Patriot Pilot
11-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Well I think you guys are starting to lag behind a little I've made more progress.

Green Dragon
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I think you guys are starting to lag behind a little I've made more progress.

looking good so far.

a couple questions , comments.

1) what nosecone are you using ? the Estes PNC-50X or a balsa version or ?

2) it looks like you left off the three outer rings, (the ones 'through' the rear fins, are they just hard to see, or do you have other plans to add those ?

I had trouble gettting those cut out and sanded round, due to the very thin cross-section (web) of the rings.

keep reporting, as that will serve to motivate me to work on mine, lol ....

~ AL

Patriot Pilot
11-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Since my young general took the last of the matte board for a ramp for his army men, I was forced to use cardstock for the rings. All three are there. I'll get a better picture later when I can find the camera. The nosecone is a BNC50X. Its grey from the primer. I didn't find a plastic one so it was easier to use the balsa

Green Dragon
11-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Since my young general took the last of the matte board for a ramp for his army men, I was forced to use cardstock for the rings. All three are there. I'll get a better picture later when I can find the camera. The nosecone is a BNC50X. Its grey from the primer. I didn't find a plastic one so it was easier to use the balsa

ok, thanks - was just curious as to the rings, since they'd given me fits - you just cut them out of the cardstock then ?
( ie: no special tricks, punches,etc - cardstock being thinnner / harder to sand to round, etc)

I am actually using my last PNC-50X on the model, after that, will have to scrounge or use balsa - would be a good cone for someone to reproduce. ( that and the PNC-55AO) .

will be starting in on my Alien Explorer soon - once I get more done on the Bandit and Starship Excalibur .

~ AL

Patriot Pilot
11-06-2005, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=Green Dragon]ok, thanks - was just curious as to the rings, since they'd given me fits - you just cut them out of the cardstock then ?
( ie: no special tricks, punches,etc - cardstock being thinnner / harder to sand to round, etc)

No special tricks just cut them out with a hobby knife. Printed on 110# cardstock.

Patriot Pilot
11-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Construction is done accept for the shock cord. Fins have been filled. I'm going to prime and sand before filling the spirals. They are mighty small so If I don't have to fill the I won't.

Patriot Pilot
11-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Started paint, finally.
Using Krylon X Metallic Green.
Looks nicer than the mashed pea green that the Estes picture shows.
Two part paint though.
First a coat of chrome paint then the over coat of semi clear green.