PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Honest John KC-25

kurtschachner
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Does anyone have any additional information about this model besides what is up on JimZ? I have an original nose cone and I wanted to build a clone, but some stuff is missing. Like the main body tube length (I know it is ST-8) and the thickness of the die-cut card. I could guess on the card thickness, but I really need the tube length.

Anything would be a help. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. I found out that YORP has the plans as well as JimZ, and the YORP ones give the length.

Ltvscout
06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
EDIT: Never mind. I found out that YORP has the plans as well as JimZ, and the YORP ones give the length.
What?!? You didn't check here first?!?!

:D

kurtschachner
06-02-2009, 08:06 AM
What?!? You didn't check here first?!?!

:D

No, I totally forgot about you. ;)

BUT, I still need a scan of the decal sheet. Anyone have that? I could use a resized version of the Estes sheet, but I'd rather use the Centuri ones.

jdbectec
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
No, I totally forgot about you. ;)

BUT, I still need a scan of the decal sheet. Anyone have that? I could use a resized version of the Estes sheet, but I'd rather use the Centuri ones.

When I built my Centuri Honest John, way ,way back when, IIRC, it did not come with a decal sheet. Maybe mine was missing, or maybe my memory is foggy, it was about 40 years ago. :eek:

Edit: OK I just looked over the instructions at both sites, and I see it listed on the instructions, but I swear mine didn't have any. :o :confused:

GregGleason
06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I can't remember if mine had a decal sheet or not.

I do, however, remember something of that build. When I was a young lad (many years ago) and my Centuri HoJo was very early in my new-to-me hobby of rocketry, I wanted to paint the nose cone orange. I painted the nose cone orange with enamel (plastic model, like Testors) paint - with no surface prep to the wood. When it didn't dry, I tried suspending it from the lamp shade near a light bulb in hopes that it would be "baked" enamel. The paint would bubble and turned into a real mess. It wasn't long after that I think my dad talked to me about sanding sealer.

Greg

timorley
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I've cloned one and the decal is the last open issue. The plans list "Decal" in the parts list, so I assume there was one, but I have no clue what is right. Although the plans mention of it could be in error as well. I saw a vintage built one on eBay recently that had a red and yellow check roll pattern at the top of the body tube, but it didn't seem right, but it could be. If anyone knows for sure or has a scan, it would be appreciated.

rosko_racer
06-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I have been putting together some parts to clone the same rocket. I have not checked for decals but I would probably check pictures and make them myself. It could be part of the fun to clone the rocket...

timorley
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
As you suggested I may just come up with something myself and make it look similar to the 1972 catalog.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/72cen028.html

The 1968 catalog copy mentions "Authentic Markings - Decals".

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri68/68cen10.html

I did a build thread on TRF. Until I just now went back to look at it I hadn't realized how long this has sat unpainted waiting on figuring out the decal question.

Here's a link the the archive with the build if anyone is interested.

http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=39508

mycrofte
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I cloned the whole thing myself and decided to make my own decals. If you look on the internet for the real rocket, you will find several paint schemes. And no two pictures alike.

So, I ended up painting it olive drab and put "U.S. ARMY" on the side (in white letters) and left it at that...

Green Dragon
06-26-2009, 04:09 PM
My vintage Centuri Ho Jo has no decals, although it is also painted red, so.....

Not sure on the decals, if a scan shows up would love to have them as well, otherwise when I restore mine, not sure.

LeeR
07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I can't remember if mine had a decal sheet or not.

I do, however, remember something of that build. When I was a young lad (many years ago) and my Centuri HoJo was very early in my new-to-me hobby of rocketry, I wanted to paint the nose cone orange. I painted the nose cone orange with enamel (plastic model, like Testors) paint - with no surface prep to the wood. When it didn't dry, I tried suspending it from the lamp shade near a light bulb in hopes that it would be "baked" enamel. The paint would bubble and turned into a real mess. It wasn't long after that I think my dad talked to me about sanding sealer.

Greg

I can relate. My first Estes rocket was the scale Aerobee 300. I painted the nose cone with a reddish purple color of fingernail polish my mother had in the medicine cabinet. At the time, I think I was pretty happy with how that complemented the dark turquoise body tube ...

:o