PDA

View Full Version : Gel Cell care & feeding?

j.a.duke
06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
How do you care for your gel cells?

I'm looking for general recommendations for chargers and how often you recharge.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Bob Kaplow
06-19-2009, 09:42 PM
How do you care for your gel cells?

I'm looking for general recommendations for chargers and how often you recharge.

I've got a charger from an old portable TV that came with a gell cell pack that drops to trickle when the cell is fully charged. I've been using it for over 20 years. Seems to work fine.

I thought I'd posted this before, but one trick is to use a lamp timer on a charger, with the two tabs as close together as they go. It will kick on for 15-20 minutes a day. Select the lowest charge rate, and that should keep your cell in good shape.

I've also built trickle chargers out of old wall warts. The normal trickle rate is C/100.

kapton
06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Technically? Charge at C/10 until the battery reaches 2.35 volts/cell. Hold at 2.35 volts/cell until the current drops to C/50. Then drop to a float of 2.17 volts/cell.

Or do as Bob did.

LeeR
06-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I've used one of these for years. They do go on sale occasionally, but at $10, well worth paying full list price.

Harbor Freight Float Charger (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42292)