PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary Apoollo 11

Rocket Doctor
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
WE all know that on thursday, July 16th is the 40th Anniversary of the launch of the Apollo 11 Moon Mission.

Let's all celebrate by launching a saturn V, and, I know this will be one of the highlights of NARAM 51.

Both Semroc and Estes will introduce their new Saturn V kits, Estes will intorduce theirs in the fall due to mold problems.

Three months ago, I contacted the White House to see if they were going to celebrate this historic event, I planned on launching a Saturn V there, having the Apollo 11 crew there as well as John Gleen, the first American Astronaut in orbit.

The reply from the White House was NO, the president was too busy. What a great opportunity for our president to honor the Apollo 11 crew, by the time the 50th rolls around, he will be out of office.

As the Shuttle program winds down, we are on the verge of a new era in space exploration, why not celebrate the achievements from the past, and. celebrate how great our space program once was.

Just my humble opinion........

RD

GregGleason
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Three months ago, I contacted the White House to see if they were going to celebrate this historic event, I planned on launching a Saturn V there, having the Apollo 11 crew there as well as John Gleen, the first American Astronaut in orbit.

The reply from the White House was NO, the president was too busy.

I am not surprised.

Greg

stefanj
07-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I didn't think far enough in advance to have a Saturn V ready for flight.

I am building and finishing a plastic model set; Mercury Redstone through Apollo V in consistent scale.

GregGleason
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I am building and finishing a plastic model set; Mercury Redstone through Apollo ...

Was this one kit or several, and is it a new kit or one of the older kits?

Greg

jadebox
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Estes will introduce their's in the fall due to mold problems.

A little bleach might fix that problem. :-)

I have the Estes Saturn V that I built 15 years ago and have never flown. I don't think I'll fly it, but I may bring it to work on Monday for the anniversary of the landing.

I have one of Sherry's Hot Rockets's Saturn Vs in the closet. I may have it built in time for the 50th anniversary!

-- Roger

BEC
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a Dr. Zooch Saturn V which I have gotten to flying condition with some sort of commemoration in mind. I have it here at my desk right now - it has been flown twice - but not all the details are on yet....I really need to get another and do it right while waiting for the Semroc one to come out.

DaveR
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I am not surprised.

Greg
Me either.

stefanj
07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Was this one kit or several, and is it a new kit or one of the older kits?

Greg

It was a set produced by ERTL; I purchased two of them about ten years back. I think I donated the second to an benefit auction.

It was called "Man in Space" or some-such.

The Redstone is the size of a large crayon; the Saturn V is as wide as a Red Bull can.

I sprayed on primer this morning. It should be sandable by tonight.

tfischer
07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't have a Saturn V, but may have to fire off a few rockets in commemoration...

mperdue
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM

The reply from the White House was NO, the president was too busy.
You mean they wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the President of the United States and fly in John Glenn and the crew of Apollo 11 so you could launch a model rocket for them?!? Words cannot convey the depth of my shock at their response...
:rolleyes:

Leo
07-16-2009, 02:07 AM
You mean they wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the President of the United States and fly in John Glenn and the crew of Apollo 11 so you could launch a model rocket for them?!? Words cannot convey the depth of my shock at their response...

Well, at least the "Rocket Doctor" sat down and took the time to convey an idea he had.

You however seem to have the time to sit down and insult a fellow forum member just because he had a wish and asked if it could be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how farfetched it may be.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions. It's a hell off a lot better than doing nothing.

mperdue
07-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, at least the "Rocket Doctor" sat down and took the time to convey an idea he had.

You however seem to have the time to sit down and insult a fellow forum member just because he had a wish and asked if it could be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how farfetched it may be.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions. It's a hell off a lot better than doing nothing.
It's actually called sarcasm and I believe it to have been appropriately applied in this case. RD's idea required that the most powerful man in the free world and four of the most famous astronauts of all time be on hand at the White House so he could launch a rocket for them. A simple reality check would have given him a 99.9% probability of the outcome. While you guys pursue you far-fetched ideas I'll stick with re-opening closed launch sites, editing the NAR Guidebook and doing make-n-take events with the scouts and day camps. My approach my not be as glamorous but I'm reaching a lot of new fliers every year.

Mario

Rocket Doctor
07-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Apparently the space program isn't on the short list. I haven't even heard mention of the 40th anniversary coming from the White House.

I sent an email three months ago, and, a info packet that took a month to go through security, even after that, no go.

So, what does this tell you about the future of the space program?

FYI
I did get an email back from the scheduling dept turning me down........

mperdue
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Apparently the space program isn't on the short list. I haven't even heard mention of the 40th anniversary coming from the White House.

I sent an email three months ago, and, a info packet that took a month to go through security, even after that, no go.

So, what does this tell you about the future of the space program?

FYI
I did get an email back from the scheduling dept turning me down........
I think it's too soon to know if it's a good or bad thing. I hope this administration values the space program - after all they're throwing huge sums of money at everything else. The fact that the White House wasn't interested in your idea doesn't mean you can't launch a Saturn V model in celebration.

Rocket Doctor
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, were I am living now is all trees, very little room to launch anything. If I launch my Saturn V, it will be next month at Orangeburg, at the ROSCO launch on Aug 8th and 9th.

At least, it's a sod farm with plenty of room.

I was hoping that the current administration would be in favor of it, to inspire our youth today into a fun and worthwhile activity, let alone the science nature of it all.

I haven't even heard one mention about the anniversary coming out of the White House, but, the local news gave a very brief mention.

I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

Strike up the band.....................

tbzep
07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, were I am living now is all trees, very little room to launch anything. If I launch my Saturn V, it will be next month at Orangeburg, at the ROSCO launch on Aug 8th and 9th.

At least, it's a sod farm with plenty of room.

I was hoping that the current administration would be in favor of it, to inspire our youth today into a fun and worthwhile activity, let alone the science nature of it all.

I haven't even heard one mention about the anniversary coming out of the White House, but, the local news gave a very brief mention.

I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

A decent sized Southern rural yard is about all it takes for a Saturn V on a single D12-3 if you have calm air. They only hit 120-150 ft. I could easily launch and recover one on a Little League field (200 ft fence) or 1/2 of a football field, which would be about 150 sq ft. A full sized baseball or football field would be gravy. ;) Have a look around and see if you can find a spot to "get your fix" for an Apollo 11 anniversary launch.

(btw, it's Paul) :p

GregGleason
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
... I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

[To the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band]

It was forty years ago today
It thundered off from 39A

:D

Rocket Doctor
07-16-2009, 04:20 PM
A decent sized Southern rural yard is about all it takes for a Saturn V on a single D12-3 if you have calm air. They only hit 120-150 ft. I could easily launch and recover one on a Little League field (200 ft fence) or 1/2 of a football field, which would be about 150 sq ft. A full sized baseball or football field would be gravy. ;) Have a look around and see if you can find a spot to "get your fix" for an Apollo 11 anniversary launch.

(btw, it's Paul) :p

My problem is the 54 acres of heavily wooded property, we tried to launch Diana's Golden scout, from the driveway on a 1/2A6-2, lost it, it went into the trees and would couldn't find it for several weeks, one day, while walking up the driveway, I saw the gold glistening in the woods, yup, it was her GS. A little weather beaten up, but, we fixed it up and it's now on display.

There is a very small ball field closeby, but, kids were hanging out there causing trouble, now, it's locked up tighter than a drum.

I guess it will be August 8th and 9th at Orangeburg.

Mark II
07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, the only Saturn V's that I have that are ready to launch are my two Quest Micromaxx RTF Saturn V's. :rolleyes: So I will get those out and launch them. I have actually had good luck with the one that I have flown so far - it has always boosted straight and recovered fine. I haven't seen the stability problems that others have mentioned, but if I do, I'll add the clear plastic fin strakes that Micromeister has described in the past. I have a Dr. Zooch Sat V on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. On Saturday (if weather cooperates) my club will be having it's Apollo 11 memorial sport launch. Think I can build a Dr. Z Saturn V in one day (assuming that it arrives tomorrow)? For the launch, we are encouraged to bring any models from any phase of the Space Race, but I'm kicking myself now because I don't have a single one. :( (I also have a Quest Micromaxx Little Joe II, but I have to replace a fin on it. I can't believe that I'm actually considering doing that.) I'm only just now getting into building scale rockets, in what is turning out to be a year late. Oh well, there will be more 40th anniversaries coming up in the next couple of years. In light of my late start at this, though, maybe what I should build is a Soviet N1 - yeah, that would fit in just fine, time-wise.

I have a Semroc Saturn 1B kit and a Semroc Little Joe II kit, but I haven't started either one yet. Time to move them up in the build pile. :o

MarkII

jadebox
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
[To the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band]

It was forty years ago today
It thundered off from 39A

:D

Wasn't it George Starkey that sang that one? :-)

Hmm ... "In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans was at the top of the Billboard charts on July 20, 1969. I was hoping it was a song by the Beatles ... or at least a song that wasn't the worst hit song of 1969.

Oh, I just remembered I have a Dr. Zooch Saturn V kit on the shelf. Maybe I can build it this weekend and fly it in time for the anniversary of the landing at least.

-- Roger

BEC
07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I still have hopes of putting my Dr. Zooch Saturn V into the air after work some time, perhaps at the playfield down at church......I have flown some rockets there before (and lost half of one). It was gorgeous and dead calm this morning om my way to work. *sigh*

Roger, if you want to fly it this weekend, start building now....:)

mperdue
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmm ... "In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans was at the top of the Billboard charts on July 20, 1969. I was hoping it was a song by the Beatles ... or at least a song that wasn't the worst hit song of 1969.
It stayed #1 for six weeks so it couldn't have been that bad. Besides, Dennis Zager went on to make some **** fine guitars.

Mark II
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
OK, that's done. :D

Here's the launch report:

Launch vehicles:A. Quest Micromaxx RTF Saturn V from my original Micromaxx Launch Set (yes my first one from 2004 :D ) Length (with LES): 6.8125 in./20.64 mm. Diameter of S-I stage: 0.5 in./12.7 mm. Scale factor: 1:639.455 (approx.)
B. Quest Micromaxx RTF Saturn V from a Saturn V/Space Shuttle combo set. This one had never been flown before. Dimensions: same as above.
Motors: Quest MicromaxxII, 1/8A.5-1 (all flights). Total impulse = 0.218 N-s. Maximum thrust = 2.108 N

Launch #1: Vehicle A. Straight, high boost of this very dependable version. Very stable in flight. Full deployment of piston and streamer. Floated down and landed on the roof of my house about 50 feet away. Successfully retrieved from roof. Result: Successful moon shot and lunar landing. (Apollo 11)

Launch #2: Vehicle A. Another straight boost; high, but not as high as the first. Slight wobble seen near apogee. Full deployment of piston and streamer. Landed in garden, about 60 feet away (in another direction, due to change in launch angle). Upon retrieval, found that the engine mount/retainer had ejected (with the engine). This part has not yet been found. Result: Low Earth orbit. (Apollo 9)

Launch #3: Vehicle B. I had intended to just use the retainer/mount from this one, but when I inserted it in Vehicle A, I discovered that it was too loose. (More on this in a subsequent post.) So the launch was made with Vehicle B. Quick boost, but where did it go? Heard the ejection charge as I was scanning the sky, but when I looked down, I found it sticking out of the ground about 20 feet off to the side of the pad. Apparently it had looped and pranged. This was a first for any of my MMX RTF's, believe it or not. Maybe it was just an anomaly... Result: Failure to reach orbit due to unknown system failure. (SA-502?)

Launch #4: Vehicle B. Had a little bit of difficulty getting the streamer into the rocket, because I hadn't "trained" it yet. First ignition failed. Pressed the button, saw the clips and the pyrogen-less Q2 igniter fall away, but no joy. With a replaced igniter, Vehicle B had a fast straight boost, with some wobble visible near apogee (more than was seen with A in Launch #2). Thought I saw something fly off of the rocket at ejection. Piston deployed but the streamer didn't unfurl. Lawn-darted about 35 feet away, next to the house. Sure enough, upon retrieval, I found that the engine holder/retainer had been kicked. But miraculously, I found it right away on my freshly mowed lawn, about halfway between the pad and the rocket's LZ. Result: Moon shot with free return, but no lunar landing. (Apollo 13)

With three good launches (out of four), I called it a day. As I was writing this post, with both models lying on the desk next to my keyboard, I saw something that I had not noticed before. More on that shortly.

MarkII

jadebox
07-16-2009, 07:58 PM
A. Quest Micromaxx RTF Saturn V

Oh, wait! I forgot that I have one of those! Houston, we are Go for lift-off! :-)

-- Roger

tfischer
07-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Too windy for my tastes here today, and I don't have a Saturn anyway... I'm anxiously awaiting my "gum camera" from an eBay auction and will use the maiden flight of my vidRoc (just going to stuff it in a clear payload tube for the maiden flight) as a belated 40th anniversary celebration :)

I'm also building my new Mean Machine kit tonight. This replaces one I had as a kid, was kept but badly bent in 20+ years of storage, and I sadly tossed a year or so ago after deeming it too damaged to fix or scavenge...

-Tim

grafgulch
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I am hoping to fly my Estes Saturn V this weekend to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. What is the maximum wind speed for launching this kit safely? It’s been at least 5 years since I last launched it. I did build the kit stock & as light as possible. The St. Louis club is having a launch tomorrow, but the winds are suppose to be between 10 - 15 mph. Sunday the winds will be 5 mph. Sunday would be the better day, but I would be launching alone (w/o a club/audience).

Paul

sandman
07-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I am hoping to fly my Estes Saturn V this weekend to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. What is the maximum wind speed for launching this kit safely? It’s been at least 5 years since I last launched it. I did build the kit stock & as light as possible. The St. Louis club is having a launch tomorrow, but the winds are suppose to be between 10 - 15 mph. Sunday the winds will be 5 mph. Sunday would be the better day, but I would be launching alone (w/o a club/audience).

Paul

Nothing over 5mph with a D12-3.

But that's me.

BEC
07-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I did manage go get my Apollo 11 commemorative launches in on Thursday evening at the parish playfield, along with three other flights. Here are some pics of the Saturn.

On the first flight (Estes B6-4)the boost was straight until close to burnout when the rocket hooked into the wind a bit. Deployment just past apogee. The 'chute popped a shroud line and the landing jarred loose fin "A". The landing site was less than 20 feet from the pad.

Some thick CA took care of the fin and I borrowed an all-white Estes 'chute from another rocket for flight 2.

Flight 2 (also an Estes B6-4) was just about picture perfect from liftoff to recovery. :D

Mark II
07-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Good job! Great pics!

MarkII

stefanj
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Jeeze, what a loser, passing on a model rocket launch to hang out with a bunch of nobody geezers:

Obama to host Apollo 11 astronauts (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iFWdaM2UoUwpyosSi0CPZDpB0LkwD99GG4K00)

By SETH BORENSTEIN (AP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will host the Apollo 11 crew on Monday, the 40th anniversary of man's first landing on the moon.

A senior administration official confirmed the plans to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they had not yet been announced.

garmtn
07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Rocket Dr: We're forming a new NAR section as a counterpart to our 4H club, "Radical Rocketeers." We have a few fields to fly in but, are always contending with trees and sports. (not necessarily in that order). However, I live in Great Meadows, NJ, known for its overwelming sod farms. We have yet to get a farmer to allow us to use the farm as a launch site. Any tips u could give would b greatly appreciated! First farm, "Empire Sod Farm," said," sod grows throughout the year and didn't want his crop ruined. Now u tell me if it isn't a bunch of "malarky"? I can tell u an RC club has flown in the area for 20 years till state kicked them off, so they could use Railroad bed as a hiking trail. (No one even knows the trail exists)! :cool:

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Rocket Dr: We're forming a new NAR section as a counterpart to our 4H club, "Radical Rocketeers." We have a few fields to fly in but, are always contending with trees and sports. (not necessarily in that order). However, I live in Great Meadows, NJ, known for its overwelming sod farms. We have yet to get a farmer to allow us to use the farm as a launch site. Any tips u could give would b greatly appreciated! First farm, "Empire Sod Farm," said," sod grows throughout the year and didn't want his crop ruined. Now u tell me if it isn't a bunch of "malarky"? I can tell u an RC club has flown in the area for 20 years till state kicked them off, so they could use Railroad bed as a hiking trail. (No one even knows the trail exists)! :cool:

I am now in South Carolina, and, laucnhing area are few and far between. Either up in the Charlotte area, or the SOD FARM in Orangeburg.

First of all, make sure you tell your prospective launch site owner that you will provide an insurance policy.

Invite them to a launch, go to a public park,make sure you get permission first, and, show them what model rocketry is all about.

I would suggest that you contact ROSCO NAR section and ask them how they were able to get the Sod Farm that they use.

I would also suggest that you contact Lou Ballini form Zeppelin Hobbies mail@zephobby.com,
they have been using a Sod farm in Pine Island NY for several years now.

One of the biggest problems is, when you approach a school district, and they hear rockets, they think that you will be launching a full scale Saturn V, they think about Cape Kennedy and think about fireworks.

You shouls show them (educate them) otherwise, a good PR program will work wonders.

I had the same problems in my local scholl district in NJ, I went to the school board meetings and I had one member on the board that backed me up saying that I have been in the hobby so long and that model rockets were SAFE. We eventually used the fields, but SPORTS came first and we had to schedule our launches around the SPORTS.

I wish you well in getting a launch site, don't give up, put on a good PR session and laucn a few rockets, keeping the NAR safety code in the forefront and you should do well.

RD

rocketguy101
07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
See my post in my Centuri build thread
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=74216&postcount=58

Bazookadale
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
One of the biggest problems is, when you approach a school district, and they hear rockets, they think that you will be launching a full scale Saturn V, they think about Cape Kennedy and think about fireworks.

You shouls show them (educate them) otherwise, a good PR program will work wonders.

When approaching a school district be sure to mention TARC which has been used in schools across the country (and around the world) for the last 7 years, see if any nearby schools have participated. You can PM me if needed and I can get you some testimonials from teachers at Penn Manor school district in PA.

I had the same problems in my local scholl district in NJ, I went to the school board meetings and I had one member on the board that backed me up saying that I have been in the hobby so long and that model rockets were SAFE. We eventually used the fields, but SPORTS came first and we had to schedule our launches around the SPORTS.

RD

Yeah, that will always be the case - it's actually logical since that is what the tax dollars were spent on - but you may be able to schedule around the sports.