PDA

View Full Version : Improvising, Finding "Gold" in your Garbage

Bob Thomas
11-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I was just hoping that other "rocket scientists" like me have had success with making needed parts out of junk. I mentioned in one post about a certain blue mouthwash bottle cap being a great transition piece for larger BTs and will be a boat-tail cone on an upcoming concept. Then there are the engine clips cut from the steel reinforcing bars used on most wiper blade refills. There are zillions of things to use and I think this would be the place to share. I have a helluva time finding/fabricating silly stuff like centering rings for odd tubes, as I am sure many of you have too. Post your ideas or experiences for others to draw from. My apologies to the vendors, but I know you are enthusiasts as well.

EchoVictor
11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
There's all sorts of interesting stuff out there if you can envision it.

Right now I'm working on turning an industrial caulk gun nozzle into a BT-50 sized nose cone. Pictures to follow....

Later,
EV

Phred
11-17-2005, 07:51 AM
I save the pull tabs from milk cartons... cut off the pull ring and you have a great radar dish... or a 'landing pad'. My 3 yr old neice calls them 'rocket shoes'.

Phred

EchoVictor
11-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Another great radar dish-maker are the 2 cut-out pieces you have leftover when you make a rocket with Shrox's ping-pong ball trick.

For those having trouble finding 3/32" dowels - Use fondue skewers.

At a wooden craft shop, look for the small pieces they sell in the tiny bags and get yourself some half-egg pieces. Sand it on the flat and you've got a decent looking aircraft cockpit.

Chopsticks (square or round) make good details or structure beams on bigger rockets.

Soon, I'm going to try to make ramjet nozzles out of the little plastic caps on the tips of certain glue bottles.

Later,
EV

barone
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
You know those little containers of artificial cream you can get with your coffe at restaurants? They make great looking rocket nozzles.......

Don
NAR 53455

Tweener
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Years ago I used an old beat-up camera tripod with a broken leg to make my first "D" capable launch pad. I just spread the legs out as far as they would go leaving them collapsed, bolted a block of wood on top with 3/16" and 1/8" holes drilled in it for a launch rod, then slipped the old Centuri-style blast deflector down over the rod.

EchoVictor
11-17-2005, 09:52 PM
As promised, pics of the caulk-nozzle nose cone.

That's a BT-50 balsa coupler that press-fit right in the back. Some glue and a screw eye, and I'm all set!

Later,
EV

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-17-2005, 09:55 PM
You know those little containers of artificial cream you can get with your coffe at restaurants? They make great looking rocket nozzles.......

Don
NAR 53455

I don't know. The cream adds a lot of extra weight at the back end. :eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
As promised, pics of the caulk-nozzle nose cone.

That's a BT-50 balsa coupler that press-fit right in the back. Some glue and a screw eye, and I'm all set!

Later,
EV

That's pretty sharp looking. What's the brand name on the caulk?

EchoVictor
11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I have no idea. A bunch of these were sitting on our business manager's desk, and I asked him if I could have one. I'll try and find out where they came from, and to see if I can score a few more.

Later,
EV

Royatl
11-18-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't know. The cream adds a lot of extra weight at the back end. :eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

and after awhile they really start to smell.

Bob Thomas
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
"Discovered" certain pen caps with no pocket clip fit pretty well inside BT-5 for ram jet cones. Choose the thin wall varieties, not "BIC". Trim the rear end to size and recess with 1/8 " Paper strip shim glued to size for centering. Neat looking as clear cone untrimmed for flush mount on BT-4. Might try with Krylon mirror paint inside for chrome look.

BTW - loved the creamer containers.