PDA

View Full Version : Estes stuff back in the pipeline...

BEC
08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I was in a HobbyTown USA store this afternoon after the Boeing Employees' Model Rocket Club's monthly small-field launch (51 launches and 50 recoveries in about four hours) and saw more Estes stuff in one place than perhaps I have ever seen - all sizes of currently available motors including A, B and C Educator packs, lots of kits and starter sets, and even parts and pieces. Granted, they're all at hobby shop prices (though I did score an older pack of A8-5s for $2 less than the current price - about the only such package I could find) but lots of stock. The last time I was in that same store - maybe a month ago - it was quite sad from a rocketry stock standpoint.

I know at least some of the kits are new as they had the sustainables, and I bought a Baby Bertha that has a lead-free all-white parachute, so it's recent.

Several in this forum who have connections inside Estes have been telling us that product was coming. I'd say in the Seattle area at least, it has arrived.

One hopes that now that the current product line is coming into stock again our friends at Estes can turn their attention to the classic re-releases, and A8-0 boosters and some of the other things we're (not so) patiently awaiting.

mycrofte
08-09-2009, 06:54 AM
The stores here in the southern Illinois/Indiana area have been refilled for a good month or so. Even had a few engine sizes they didn't before (mostly A's). So, it looks promising anyway...

bob jablonski
08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I just talked to Red Arrow Friday and they are getting a BUNCH of Ested stuff in Monday. The long awaited new kits?
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

TXFergie
08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Looks like time to head to my local Hobby Town and check it out........ :)

Shreadvector
08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I visited 3 Wal-Marts in the last 2 weeks. All had ENORMOUS quantities of the boxed kits and they had been sitting there for a month or so (I know because I applied the "Launch site info" stickers). I am concerned that they may not be selling as fast as the other kits they used to sell in the "Launchables" configuration.

I hope I am wrong and they will all leap off the shelves before the Christmas stock arrives (any day now...).

mycrofte
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM
The local Wal-Mart, here in Southern Illinois, has had the same two boxes of rockets all summer. And, I can tell from the packages, the very same ones still sitting there. They started with two boxes of RTF's and are just now getting to the last 6 or so rockets...

It didn't help they are just now getting different engines. And never did have a launch pad or starter set with one. We bought their last starter set in October last year for a grandson's Christmas present. And it was a clearance item...

barone
08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I think I'm the only one that purchased any kits from my local Walmart. Still plenty of the new kits and motors (motors at $5.97 a pack :eek: ). Though by the look of some of the packages, some folks decided to leave the box and take the contents..... :mad:

DaBigE
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
I bought a couple of the boxed kits yesterday at my local Wal-Mart. The Taser Twin, and Star Stryker. I bought them just to help me get back up to speed with construction skills after 30+ years!! My old eyes aren't what they used to be!! :eek:

The kits themselves don't look that bad really. The Taser Twin looks sorta like an old ApogeeII/Sky Hook combo. As a matter of fact, after first glance, the die-cut fins look exactly like these two old models!! I will have to check the JimZ website to be sure.

The Star Stryker kinda reminds me of the old X-Ray kit with the clear payload mated to a BT-20 tube. This model will, if anything, help me to finish off the RED paint that I will be using for my Red Max rocket project!!

I still after all these years miss all the old Estes rocket products!! At one time or another, I owned a great many of these products. I had a Camroc, but not a Cineroc. My Dad took a special interest (to my benefit :D ) in my hobby, since his hobby was woodworking. We had a lot of fun together!! His favorite was the boost-gliders. He was in love with the Scissor Wing Transport.

We had a great Hardware store/Hobby Shop in Griffin, Georgia at our disposal back then. Fisher's Hardware Store had ALL the Estes products back in the 60's and 70's.

One day, I hope that we see a REAL resurgence in the Model Rocketry hobby. I never had time as a child to get into any trouble or crime as they do today, I was too busy building and flying ROCKETS!! The only GANGS around here was the Rocket Posse!!

Cheers,

Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

scigs30
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I am with you on that, but I don't think you will see a huge interest in model rocketry again. Space travel was fascinating back in the 60s, 70s, and early 80's. Most kids are now interested in video games and what is the latest and newest. Video games provide instant gratification, where models require time, work and patience. Another thing, you have a small window of opportunity with kids to get them interested in such a hobby, because when they get older forget about it. That's what happened to most of us BAR's.

mycrofte
09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I never lost interest (well, maybe for a couple of years after I discovered girls). For the most part raising kids while in the Air Force just took to much time. And then college after that.

DaBigE
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Back in the GOOD OLD DAYS we got the girls to chase down the rockets we had fired off!! We told them to smell the end of the rocket to make sure everything was A-OK!! Oh it was a HOOT to see the looks on their faces when they got the ole smell of SULPHER in their nostrils!! We never had girls around here build and fly rockets the way they do today.

As I read thru the issues of Sport Rocketry, I see a LOT of pretty little girls out there flying rockets. GANGS of them!! Come on young fellas, who may be reading this, I believe ya'll are missing a real opportunity here!! Seriously, I think girls building and flying rockets are a good thing. Keep up the good work girls!!

I believe the key to a resurgence in Model Rocketry is to stage more local rocket demonstrations. My Dad and I and the rocket posse used to draw some pretty big crowds!!

How do we do this? Well, a good start might be to set up a demonstration with the local church youth. How about Scout Troops, School science classes, ETC.

Times have changed though, and I may be way out there in Vintage land with these ideas!!

What do ya'll (sorry, southern slang!! ;) ) think??

Your brother in Model Rocketry,
Eric F. Crummie
NAR# 89651 SR

I never lost interest (well, maybe for a couple of years after I discovered girls). For the most part raising kids while in the Air Force just took to much time. And then college after that.