PDA

View Full Version : Black Brant II

jeffyjeep
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi guys. I want to clone/scratchbuild one of my all time favorites: the Estes Black Brant II (#1958).

I can get all of the parts I need EXCEPT the "double split-ring" coupler piece and the boat tail. I've made a dedicated search for the components without success. The boat tail I can probably roll from card stock or carve up a nose cone if I have to, but I can't figure out how to replicate the "double split ring" coupler.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff (still trapped in southern India)

tbzep
08-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi guys. I want to clone/scratchbuild one of my all time favorites: the Estes Black Brant II (#1958).

I can get all of the parts I need EXCEPT the "double split-ring" coupler piece and the boat tail. I've made a dedicated search for the components without success. The boat tail I can probably roll from card stock or carve up a nose cone if I have to, but I can't figure out how to replicate the "double split ring" coupler.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff (still trapped in southern India)

See if Sandman will turn you a copy of the Estes boattail that includes the ring.

sandman
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I've done that.

Here's a BT-60 version.

Honestly a BT-55 version (the original size) is way too small for a D motor. I've lost 2 that way.

A BT-60 version isd a bit beter.

I also have the decals. :D

jeffyjeep
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for prompt reply! Yes, I've bought and applied Excelsior's BBII decal set--and also other sets. The quality is always premium!

How can I get a couple of sets of BBII boattail and coupler and what will they cost?

Thanks!

Jeff

sandman
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for prompt reply! Yes, I've bought and applied Excelsior's BBII decal set--and also other sets. The quality is always premium!

How can I get a couple of sets of BBII boattail and coupler and what will they cost?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff, I just checked and I have an opened Estes Black Brant II kit. (It's someplace...I just have to find it.) I got it on Ebay a few years back and the guy stole the nose cone out of it. I replaced the nose cone and taped it up.

Would you prefer that instead?

Email me through excelsior.com and we'll talk money on the BT-60 parts.

Talking money in a public forum just doesn't feel right to me. Hope you don't mind. :o

jeffyjeep
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
No problem!