PDA

View Full Version : BMS "BB" Clone of the month

ga1ba2
08-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Tried this thread over at TRF but got no response, maybe I'll have beter luck here.
Has anyone built the BMS BB Clone of the month? I asking about the 34 inch 24mm version. If anyone did, was it necessary to add some nose weight? I will probably make mine able to accept an Estes E and use a spacer for D engines. I am also considering a baffle mounted near the front.

Intruder
08-29-2009, 09:24 PM
They're doing a clone of the SUPER Big Bertha?! Sweet. :cool:

LeeR
08-30-2009, 12:37 PM

As I recall, the 24mm version is just a BB with a D motor mount, and you can get it with an uncut 34" BT-60 tube.

sandman
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
As I recall, the 24mm version is just a BB with a D motor mount, and you can get it with an uncut 34" BT-60 tube.

Or it's available with a 17" body tube (a 34" tube cut in half).

Bill was just doing that to conserve tube. Otherwise he's have a ton of 16" BT-60 body tubes.

j.a.duke
08-30-2009, 03:41 PM

No, just a regular BB with an extended length BT-60 tube. The Super BB is BT-80. I've got both in my build queue (regular BB and a clone SBB with parts from BMS). Might not get it built until later this fall-too much outside house stuff to do. :(

Cheers,
Jon

ga1ba2
08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
The BB Clone of the month from BMS was offered in 3 different configurations. The one I got is a BT 60, 34 inches long with slots for TTW fin attachment with ply wood fins and a foil lined motor tube and ply rings and a balsa NC. You can make it for D or E engines. It was offered as the Clone of the month in May for $12, I don't see it offered on their site. Anyone have any advise if NC weight is necessary or would the longer tube compensate for the extra weight in the tail.

snaquin
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM
The BB Clone of the month from BMS was offered in 3 different configurations. The one I got is a BT 60, 34 inches long with slots for TTW fin attachment with ply wood fins and a foil lined motor tube and ply rings and a balsa NC. You can make it for D or E engines. It was offered as the Clone of the month in May for $12, I don't see it offered on their site. Anyone have any advise if NC weight is necessary or would the longer tube compensate for the extra weight in the tail.

I bought the same configuration BB Clone of the Month from BMS. For kicks I fiddled with the Big Bertha standard kit RockSim file on EMRR and put a 24mm mount in it, changed the balsa fins to Basswood and put TTW tabs on the fins and loaded a F35 into the design. It shows almost 3 calibers of stability. Even if you lengthen the motor tube that won't add much aft weight and your baffle would surely offset that as would moving the parachute forward in the design.

I plan to fly 24mm motors in mine when I build it and I'm not considering adding any additional weight to the model.

Mikus
09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Tried this thread over at TRF but got no response, maybe I'll have beter luck here.
Has anyone built the BMS BB Clone of the month? I asking about the 34 inch 24mm version. If anyone did, was it necessary to add some nose weight? I will probably make mine able to accept an Estes E and use a spacer for D engines. I am also considering a baffle mounted near the front.

I've got the 34" 24mm variant built but not finished. I'm hoping to get it done next week on vacation (to fly on 9/12) so I'll weigh in (heh) when I get it finished. So far, I'm thinking that no weight will be needed.

JRThro
09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I've got the 34" 24mm variant built but not finished. I'm hoping to get it done next week on vacation (to fly on 9/12) so I'll weigh in (heh) when I get it finished. So far, I'm thinking that no weight will be needed.
For something that long, I'm sure you won't need to add any weight. The moment arm of the extra 17" of BT-60 will exceed that of a 24 mm motor mount and motor, especially since the CG is probably already nearer the aft end of the rocket than the front end.

tbzep
09-06-2009, 10:23 AM
For something that long, I'm sure you won't need to add any weight. The moment arm of the extra 17" of BT-60 will exceed that of a 24 mm motor mount and motor, especially since the CG is probably already nearer the aft end of the rocket than the front end.

That's right. I've flown a box stock Big Bertha chad staged D12-0 to C6-7 and it didn't need nose weight.

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Was the Bertha offering the last Kit of the Month from BMS, or did I miss one?

pantherjon
12-03-2009, 06:46 AM
That was the last one..Guess Bill has been swamped at his 'regular' job.. :confused:

privateer
12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope he offers some more Clones of the Month (FSI!!). I've started my 17 inch economy BB, and have a 34 inch super BB in the pile. I have also built the Viking 1 clone.

j.a.duke
12-04-2009, 01:17 PM
That was the last one..Guess Bill has been swamped at his 'regular' job.. :confused:

What is Bill's "regular" job? I thought that it was BMS, though I recall that I saw Shrox mention that BMS produced some parts for the Quest MLAS kit.

Cheers,
Jon