PDA

View Full Version : In Search Of.....

f=man
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm in search of an Estes screaming eagle rocket starter kit 1417. I think it ran from 88 till 92. It was my first rocket and I also want it to be my son's. If any one has one for sale or knows where to get one please let me know. THANKS!!

Rustee
09-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Hey,I'm thinking that looks awfully familiar,I may have seen one. Darned if I can remember where though...or if. I'll try and check it out. P.S.-In Search Of...Leonard Nimoy's old show right?

f=man
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
thanks i really appreciate it!! You got it on the nimoy show!!! :chuckle:

Green Dragon
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
This is the one that looks like an E2-X generic ?

4 fin plastic unit, BT50 . - and came with the pad with the wooden dowel legs ?

I'd love to find plans myself, or at minimum , a scan of the decal, nice looking generic bird for fun flying .

~ AL

f=man
09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Exactly it had wooden dowel legs. One just sold on e bay in july but I missed it. If I find one ill scan the decal for you.

f=man
08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
still searching does anyone have this kit??? top dollar payed!!!!!!!

blackshire
08-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Exactly it had wooden dowel legs. One just sold on e bay in july but I missed it. If I find one ill scan the decal for you.You're in luck regarding the Estes Screaming Eagle Starter Set's "dowel-legged" launch pad, as it is the same launch pad that is included in the current Moon Mutt Starter Set. The rocket itself can be cloned using the Generic E2X parts assortment (although you might have to scavenge the long plastic nose cone from an Estes Rascal or Athena Ready-To-Fly rocket). As for the Screaming Eagle's decals, this sounds like a job for...SANDMAN!!! (See: Excelsior Rocketry's web site at: www.excelsiorrocketry.com )

blackshire
08-30-2010, 04:51 AM
I just found a bit more on the Estes Screaming Eagle, f=man. (The "S" in "Shire" stands for "Service," as far as I'm concerned.) This YORF thread on the Screaming Eagle from 2008 (see: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/archive/index.php/t-3797.html ) includes several helpful postings. In particular, Greg (gpoehlein) wrote:

Not sure about the decal - I think I've seen it before on another rocket (Estes sometimes recycled their decal sheets into new kits). As for the rest, here are my guesses based on the catalog photo:

Nose Cone - PNC50YR (same one that comes in the Nova Payloader)
Fin Can - plastic fin can from the Skywriter #2 (pencil)
Body Tube - BT-50W, 9.5 inches long. (I scaled the catalog photo up to BT-50 diameter and measured it. Comparing the measured length to the standard BT lengths, 9.5" is the closest).

Greg

blackshire
08-30-2010, 05:16 AM
One last thing--if anyone is unsure about which Screaming Eagle kit f=man is looking to clone, here it is: http://ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/89est02.html . It's a red/white/blue rocket (similar to the Generic E2X, but with a longer ogive nose cone of the type found in Estes' Rascal and Athena RTF rockets) that came with an Electron Beam Launch Controller and a "Lunar Launch Pad."

This launch pad is the same one (now called the "Mini Launch Pad") that was also included in the Ninja Starter Set and now comes in the Moon Mutt Starter Set. It has dowel legs and a half-length (18" total length) launch rod, and it is for use only with 13 mm and 18 mm motor powered rockets no more than 1" in diameter, 16" long, and 1.5 ounces in mass (without motor). This launch pad should only be used in 0 mph - 5 mph winds.

BEC
08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
In looking at the picture on the catalog page in Ninfinger....the legs on the launch pad there are longer than those in the Moon Mutt set version. That would be easy to replicate. Just get the dowels at the home improvement store or hobby shop.

That long plastic cone also comes on the current RTF HiJinks and a chromed version came in the Estes Athena (not the current RTF but kit 2026). It also apparently uses the same fin can as the Screaing Eagle (Skywriter type) and the body is - IIRC - 9.5 inches long.... Hmmmmmmmm

blackshire
08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
In looking at the picture on the catalog page in Ninfinger....the legs on the launch pad there are longer than those in the Moon Mutt set version. That would be easy to replicate. Just get the dowels at the home improvement store or hobby shop.I had not noticed that, but oddly (now that you've mentioned the different leg lengths), the instructions in the Moon Mutt Starter Set (whose "Mini Launch Pad" has the shorter legs) say that it can safely handle rockets up to 18" in length, while the longer-legged "Lunar Launch Pad" in the Screaming Eagle Starter Set is recommended for rockets no more than 16" long. (Both launch pads are rated for the same maximum rocket diameter [1"] and mass [1.5 ounces without motor].)That long plastic cone also comes on the current RTF HiJinks and a chromed version came in the Estes Athena (not the current RTF but kit 2026). It also apparently uses the same fin can as the Screaing Eagle (Skywriter type) and the body is - IIRC - 9.5 inches long.... HmmmmmmmmI'm not 100% sure, but I think the decal in the Estes Cadet kit (the Official Young Astronauts model rocket kit) may be the same as the Screaming Eagle decal. [ERRATUM: Nope, the Cadet's body tube decal is different from the Screaming Eagle's.]

DWolman
08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I have one of the Screaming Eagle sets, opened but complete - send me a PM if you're interested -

Thanks

Dan

blackshire
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
I have one of the Screaming Eagle sets, opened but complete - send me a PM if you're interested -

Thanks

DanDan, if you could scan the Screaming Eagle's decal sheet and e-mail it to Sandman (at Excelsior Rocketry, www.excelsiorrocketry.com ), all interested parties could benefit from your preserved kit.

Bill
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Did that decal ever make it into the Estes designer parts assortments? I have a stack of depleted ones where I have used up the tubes, cones, motor mounts and balsa, leaving an assortment of odds and ends. Would it be worthwhile to go look through those boxes?

Bill

blackshire
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Did that decal ever make it into the Estes designer parts assortments? I have a stack of depleted ones where I have used up the tubes, cones, motor mounts and balsa, leaving an assortment of odds and ends. Would it be worthwhile to go look through those boxes?

BillPossibly. The Estes Screaming Eagle decal does have a generic look to it (being simple in design); it looks like a decal that would aesthetically blend well with (or at least not clash with) a wide range of rocket paint schemes.

dlazarus6660
09-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I read these post and I'm left wondering what happened.

Dan, did f=man pm you?

How long is the BT to the Screaming Eagle?

Why does Estes reuse the same names?

I fell like G'Kar from B5 asking all these questions about the universe and how it works?

Rocket Doctor
09-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Estes has used name over and over in several cases, like the Sizzler. WHY you ask, when they check to see if a name is available, it might not be, and when you come out with many rockets at a time, you need to find names that are uniques, not taken and will stick in a customers head.

I had come up with over three hundred potential names for Estes, but, they seem to use the ones from the past and it seems that it is much easier to go that route than to use something new.

FYI For example, do you remember the Rattler 7 kit, do you know what the 7 means, it took six attempts to find a name for that rocket, hence the 7.

f=man
09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I read these post and I'm left wondering what happened.

Dan, did f=man pm you?

How long is the BT to the Screaming Eagle?

Why does Estes reuse the same names?

I fell like G'Kar from B5 asking all these questions about the universe and how it works?
I did pm him I'm purchasing the kit from Dan. I'm so happy that my son will have the same first rocket as me!!!!!!!

blackshire
09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
I did pm him I'm purchasing the kit from Dan. I'm so happy that my son will have the same first rocket as me!!!!!!!One request--before you apply the decal to your Estes Screaming Eagle clone, could you e-mail scans of it to Scott Hansen and to Sandman so that [A] the decal will be preserved for posterity on "Ye Olde Rocket Plans" and [B] we (and you) can order duplicates of it from Sandman? That would enable anyone to clone it using an Estes Generic E2X parts assortment and the nose cones from Estes Athena or Rascal RTF rockets.