PDA

View Full Version : Will NARAM be like this??

kurtschachner
12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I was looking through my "library" of old rocket stuff a while back, and came across a copy of the old Estes Guide for Model Rocket Contests. I looked at the picture of the kids on the cover and wondered what ever happened to them. Especially the kid up in the corner on the bike ;-) I suppose most are still around but who knows where.

Two of those kids could have been me. The one with his hands on his hips looking like "let's get this show on the road" and the other one kneeling with the black glasses. That one looks like me, if I were to show you a picture of me in grade school it would look just like him ;)

Anyway, funny stuff. Most of those are Estes kits on the pad except for the one second from right. Looks Centuri to me....

Ltvscout
12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Two of those kids could have been me. The one with his hands on his hips looking like "let's get this show on the road" and the other one kneeling with the black glasses. That one looks like me, if I were to show you a picture of me in grade school it would look just like him ;)

Anyway, funny stuff. Most of those are Estes kits on the pad except for the one second from right. Looks Centuri to me....
Kurt and I got a good laugh over this at our last club meeting. Boy, I sure wouldn't confess to looking like a geek as a kid! :D

I believe all of those rockets are Estes. The more I look at the one that you're thinking is an Astro-1, the more I think it's an Alpha with the fins on wrong. (A common mistake I've seen with kids putting these together. I guess they don't get the idea of "root edge". ;) )

Can anyone name all the rockets? Kurt and I got 'em all except for that funky looking one he was talking about. There's a tricky one in the mix. :p

CPMcGraw
12-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Kurt and I got a good laugh over this at our last club meeting. Boy, I sure wouldn't confess to looking like a geek as a kid! :D

I believe all of those rockets are Estes. The more I look at the one that you're thinking is an Astro-1, the more I think it's an Alpha with the fins on wrong. (A common mistake I've seen with kids putting these together. I guess they don't get the idea of "root edge". ;) )

Can anyone name all the rockets? Kurt and I got 'em all except for that funky looking one he was talking about. There's a tricky one in the mix. :p

I'll give it a shot. I think I recognize that "tricky one"...

Left-to-right:

Constellation, upper stage of a Midget (not a Streak -- note the boattail), a repaired X-Ray (body tube appears to have patches from a bad flight), two Big Berthas (I don't see multiple ignition leads), Alpha, another Big Bertha, wrong-fin Alpha, and another Alpha...

Do I get a prize if I'm right?

CPMcGraw
12-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Two of those kids could have been me. The one with his hands on his hips looking like "let's get this show on the road" and the other one kneeling with the black glasses. That one looks like me, if I were to show you a picture of me in grade school it would look just like him ;)....

I think I could have mixed in what group, too, but I would have taken up more room...

I was never small, even when I was little... :o

CPMcGraw
12-02-2005, 08:54 PM
The more I look at the one that you're thinking is an Astro-1, the more I think it's an Alpha with the fins on wrong. (A common mistake I've seen with kids putting these together. I guess they don't get the idea of "root edge". ;) )

The Astro-1 is much taller than the Alpha, noticeably so when they're side-by-side...

The nose cone on that one is the other giveaway to being an Alpha...

Ltvscout
12-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I'll give it a shot. I think I recognize that "tricky one"...

Left-to-right:

Constellation, upper stage of a Midget (not a Streak -- note the boattail), a repaired X-Ray (body tube appears to have patches from a bad flight), two Big Berthas (I don't see multiple ignition leads), Alpha, another Big Bertha, wrong-fin Alpha, and another Alpha...

Do I get a prize if I'm right?
Close, but no cigar. ;) The last rocket you have wrong.

kurtschachner
12-02-2005, 09:08 PM

Yeah, I'm shocked he missed that one too. You guys got the one figured out that I thought was the Centuri model even.

Note that there are ten kids and nine rockets. Which one doesn't have a model on the pad?

Ltvscout
12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Note that there are ten kids and nine rockets. Which one doesn't have a model on the pad?
Bzzzzzzztt! Back to Kindergarten for you. There's 11 kids in the picture!

CPMcGraw
12-02-2005, 11:41 PM

Arrrggghhh! :mad:

It's another Constellation without the payload section! I should have recognized the nose cone, and the fin tips... :(

CPMcGraw
12-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked he missed that one too.

Kinda miffed myself for missing such an obvious shape...

I do notice one thing that no one else mentioned (myself included...)...

That first Constellation has a replacement nose cone. It's using the 50K instead of the 50X...

CPMcGraw
12-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Kinda miffed myself for missing such an obvious shape...

I do notice one thing that no one else mentioned (myself included...)...

That first Constellation has a replacement nose cone. It's using the 50K instead of the 50X...

Does anyone else look at that X-Ray and say to themselves the payload section is a bit cocky-whumpus?

kurtschachner
12-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Bzzzzzzztt! Back to Kindergarten for you. There's 11 kids in the picture!

Well, yeah, counting the kid on the bicycle. But he's obviously just a bystander and I was really only looking at the kids near the rocket rack.

Ltvscout
12-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Arrrggghhh! :mad:

It's another Constellation without the payload section! I should have recognized the nose cone, and the fin tips... :(
Ding, ding, ding! Give the man a rubber biscuit! :D

You're right, I didn't notice the replacement nose cone either. Obviously these rockets had seen a lot of action in there day. ;)