PDA

View Full Version : Kopter Jet-i-son (with ejected helicopter)

surdumil
12-03-2005, 09:43 AM
A winter project that I've started up (and had been planning to for over a year) is a Kopter Jet-i-son with a 24mm motor mount and the helicopter nose recovery option.

This is kinda like a core-ejection glider except the motor mount stays in the glider and the core is spat out the front. The core is a large nose cone on a stick. With the helicopter recovery option, the core has a counterweight and extendable helicopter blades. While ejecting the core, a second more-rounded nose cone slides forward as the glider nose.

This project requires a fair amount of lathe work. Two BT-60-sized balsa nose cones, a rounded conical "push block", and a BT-60-sized rotor base will be turned out during the project. If you wanna do some wild cloning and scratch building, "Get Lathed!" :) :D

So far, I've done the easy part... putting the glider body together. This has been very straightforward so far. The wings needed some careful balsa cutting and fitting, being built up with a fair number of pieces. The elevon hinges are rectangular Tyvek pieces cut from an envelope. Here are a couple of pictures...

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-03-2005, 10:16 AM
A winter project that I've started up (and had been planning to for over a year) is a Kopter Jet-i-son with a 24mm motor mount and the helicopter nose recovery option.

This is kinda like a core-ejection glider except the motor mount stays in the glider and the core is spat out the front. The core is a large nose cone on a stick. With the helicopter recovery option, the core has a counterweight and extendable helicopter blades. While ejecting the core, a second more-rounded nose cone slides forward as the glider nose.

This project requires a fair amount of lathe work. Two BT-60-sized balsa nose cones, a rounded conical "push block", and a BT-60-sized rotor base will be turned out during the project. If you wanna do some wild cloning and scratch building, "Get Lathed!" :) :D

So far, I've done the easy part... putting the glider body together. This has been very straightforward so far. The wings needed some careful balsa cutting and fitting, being built up with a fair number of pieces. The elevon hinges are rectangular Tyvek pieces cut from an envelope. Here are a couple of pictures...

Looks sharp and sounds ambitious. Is this an actual plan? :cool:

surdumil
12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Wallyum,

Yup, this is a plan. Actually, it's a couple of plans. They are RK08 and RK13 of the Kopter plans at http://www.oldrocketplans.com/kopter.htm

Last year, I'd built RK15 Pterosaur. It was super cool to fly. It was finally trimmed for a beautiful flat glide, when it blew itself in half because I'd weakened the tubes during construction. It's salvageable, but will take some work. After seeing how dramatically it boosts and glides, I know it's worthwhile.

Here are some pictures before and after kaboom!

carbons4
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Way back in pre historic days, the 70's , my friend and I built a couple of majorly scaled up Kopter kits. Pat built a Kopter rotary recovery using estes BT101 body tube and a V-2 nose cone. Each rotor was 3' long and 4" wide. Launched by a FSI F100. Yea it was scarry coming down . I built a scaled up glider Using FSI 2.25 tubing and launched with a F7 tandemed with a pair of D18's. Walt made some fairly advanced stuff in his day.