PDA

View Full Version : Roto-Rockets Catalog

Gus
10-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I recently won an auction for a Roto-Rockets Star Banner kit.

I had never seen this one before so I was quite surprised to see it
for sale.

On the back of the package there's a banner that invites the buyer to
send away for a "Colorful Catalog of entire Star Fleet, Star Scan
System, and Roto-Rockets".

I wasn't aware they had produced a catalog.

I asked Danny Sagstetter, who auctioned the kit (he was also the producer of The Rocketeer Collectors Journal), if he had ever seen such a catalog and he indicated he hadn't.

Neither did he have a list of the rockets produced by this company.

Anybody else ever seen a catalog from Roto-Rockets?

The rockets I know of they actually produced are the following (please add to the list if you know of others):

RR1 Rotating Space Station
Photon Scanner Sailwing and Shuttle
Sailwing Replacement Starscan
Star Banner

Ltvscout
10-17-2009, 04:31 PM
RR-2 was a 2-stage version of the RR-1.

sandman
10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
This is the kind of stuff you just don't find on TRF!

tbzep
10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't recall Roto Rockets. I have a catalong of Kopter Rockets somewhere around here, though.

Green Dragon
10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
So now I know who outbid me on that one :D

as for comments -

1) I HAVE seen and held the catalog, and am currently working on aquiring a copy, along with some VERY interesting early 80s HPR stuff - details when I can ;)

2) aprox early 80s. I DEFINATELY recall seeing Rotorocket kits in the Smithsonian Air & SPace Museum gift shop - BT50 ish generic birds... unfortunately had no $ to get any ...

3) I have personally owned the RR1 and RR2 space station kits ( have two in my possession now, one under restoration, other partially built ) . and the Star Scan flex-wing glider ( have pics of this one, will try to scan, it was damaged and not saved - hard to repair :(

please do post the plans when you decide to open her up ;)

~ AL

Gus
10-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I DEFINATELY recall seeing Rotorocket kits in the Smithsonian Air & SPace Museum gift shop
Wow, Al, good memory.

The Star Banner package has a Smithsonian Museum price tag on it.

The address on the kits was Springfield, Virginia (a division of Frontier Industries). Anybody have any idea who was behind these? A fair amount of engineering went into the RR-1 and Star Scan kits and they used a number of specially made plastic pieces which must have required a fair up front investment.

Al, if you manage to get ahold of a catalog let us know.

And in the future, if you're going to come in second in the bidding anyway, would you bid a little bit less and save me a buck or two. ;)

Steve

Gus
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Some photos of the front and back of the Star Banner kit.

The idea of this kit is that the rocket would eject a wide red, white, and blue crepe paper streamer, or you could replace the streamer with a banner with your school or club name on it.

rokitflite
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I BOUGHT one from the Air And Space Museum years ago... I no longer have it. I believe I sold it in an auction before Ebay was around.

Ltvscout
10-18-2009, 08:17 AM
please do post the plans when you decide to open her up ;)

~ AL
I do have some of these online already.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/roto.htm

Ltvscout
10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Some photos of the front and back of the Star Banner kit.

The idea of this kit is that the rocket would eject a wide red, white, and blue crepe paper streamer, or you could replace the streamer with a banner with your school or club name on it.
Steve,

If you do open the Star Banner and/or RR-1 I could use scans of everything to help fill the holes. Thanks.

Green Dragon
10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I do have some of these online already.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/roto.htm

went and checked, and that is the most well-known ( space station and the glider ), but none of the rather obscure Bt20/50 stuff.

Will be working on the catalog, will send along once I get my hands on it ;)

~ AL

ps: I think I have the plans/ instructions for the RR2 - did nto go through yours online to see if anything was missing, but can scan mine when I get a chance. let me know.