PDA

View Full Version : U.S.S America

hoverhans
12-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Well at last my tubes are here, not really true, they are at the post office as my carrier would not leave them on my porch. Anyways, I have all the plastic parts for the clone and will have the tubes in hand after work so I can get started on this puppy.

I printed the decals a few weeks ago, and have the laser files for the fins and rings ready to go so I will get started on this on Sat.
I got the plastic parts from Moldin Oldies and they are very good parts. Just some minor filling and sanding is all they will need. I would expect this even in a new big name kit.

I went a bit ape on the tube order, should have enough tubes to last a good 5 years or more.

The only thing I really need to get is some .055 card stock for the baffle and centering rings. Anyone know a source for this type of card stock?

Pics of the build will be coming as soon as I get started on it.

Hans

CPMcGraw
12-14-2005, 10:49 AM
The only thing I really need to get is some .055 card stock for the baffle and centering rings. Anyone know a source for this type of card stock?
Hans

Why not ask Carl at SEMROC to laser-cut a set? Better than trying to "hand-cut"...

hoverhans
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Craig,
Thanks for the info, but I have my own 50 watt laser at home. Just need a source for the material. I was just going to use the back card board from a legal pad, but if I can buy a good supply of the right stuff, I will just to have it around. I'm going to cut the tubes to length tonight and will take picks.
Hans

ghrocketman
12-14-2005, 01:08 PM
A 50W laser at home ay ?
Sounds like someone needs to get into the fin cutting (if not kit making) business to me. :D

CPMcGraw
12-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Craig,
Thanks for the info, but I have my own 50 watt laser at home. Just need a source for the material. I was just going to use the back card board from a legal pad, but if I can buy a good supply of the right stuff, I will just to have it around. I'm going to cut the tubes to length tonight and will take picks.
Hans

Check with OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, or Staples. Look in their display materials section. I found a matteboard that was very similar to Carl's material. It was about the same thickness and density. Sorry, but I don't have a brand name for it...

hoverhans
12-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Graig,
Thanks much. I'll run down there this weekend and check it out.

I got my tubes and started working last night. Sorry no pics yet as the camera batteries were dead.
I cut all the tubes to length using a L shape jig made from 2 pieces of 1X3 wood and a single edge razor blade at one end and a clamped block the required distance from the blade. I'm sure you all have seen or have the jig I'm talking about, but will take a pic of it anyways.

The only tube that is out of the norm to find in your stock is the Centuri ST-10 tube. It is a bit larger than a BT-50 and can be purchased from a number of vendors. The other tubes are a BT-60 for the main body, a BT-5 for the ram jets, and of course a BT-20 for the motor tube.

I strayed from the plan and made the main tube from a single piece of tube rather than 2 pieces. I plan on using an RMS motor in this rocket as well as BP motors and the design has a baffle in it. I was not sure if you can use a baffle with the RMS due to the red cap that blows off the ejection charge. I thought it may damage the baffle and so I left it out and will just use wadding.
The fit of the plastic parts from Moldin Oldies was perfect and as I said before with just a bit of finish work will be as good as the original blow molded parts.
I was also toying with the idea of making this rocket with a 24mm motor mount rather than the 18mm, but decided to keep it closer to original as I can use 18mm D reloads to up the thrust if needed.

I guess that's about it for now. Batteries are charged in the camera now, so I'll get pics tonight. Next step will be to laser cut the wings/fins and centering rings, and then glue it all up!!.
Hans

rraeford
12-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Quote:
“I plan on using an RMS motor in this rocket as well as BP motors and the design has a baffle in it. I was not sure if you can use a baffle with the RMS due to the red cap that blows off the ejection charge. I thought it may damage the baffle...”

You're right about the cap causing problems but that's the least of it. I strongly reccommend a beefy motor mount (made of 18 motor tube - not BT-20) and a VERY substantial stuffer tube (maybe foil lined) for this model. The heat from AP motors is intense and can cook your paint job in one flight.

I say this from experience. I built a BT-60 sized Centurion to use these motors. The heat damage sustained from the first flight necessitated cutting the whole bottom of the model off and starting over.

Also, make sure to attach the fins and tank tubes very securely as the sudden thrust of these motors can jerk parts loose or right off.

Good luck with this model. It's always been one of my favorites.

Romie

hoverhans
12-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Romie,
Thanks much for the advice. I'm real new to AP motors and did not know that they got hot enough to toast a paint job.

I guess I need to pick up some more tubeage! Does it ever end :D

Sounds like you recomend a beefed up 18mm mount, and say a BT-50 foil lined tube for a stuffing tube right up to the area that the chute will reside right?

So I would put the beefed up mount into a foil lined BT-50 and extend that up to say 3 or 4" from the nose. Is that correct?
Thanks again,
Hans

hoverhans
12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
I've been sitting here thinking about Romie's post and it seems to me that if I beef up the 18mm set up, I am pretty much going to have to forget flying on 18mm BP motors as I have heard that the C6-3 is just enough motor for the rocket. If I add the weight, the C6-3 may not be enough motor for it.
I think the best course of action now is to go with a 24mm set up and use D12-5 BP motors only. It just seems to be the option with the least chance of failure.

What do you all think?
Hans

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-15-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been sitting here thinking about Romie's post and it seems to me that if I beef up the 18mm set up, I am pretty much going to have to forget flying on 18mm BP motors as I have heard that the C6-3 is just enough motor for the rocket. If I add the weight, the C6-3 may not be enough motor for it.
I think the best course of action now is to go with a 24mm set up and use D12-5 BP motors only. It just seems to be the option with the least chance of failure.

What do you all think?
Hans

I've got an ESS Raven started and this is the plan for it. Seems like the perfect size kit for a motor upscale. I considered making it a 3x18mm cluster, but I've done that so much that it seems commonplace now. :rolleyes:

hoverhans
12-16-2005, 05:47 AM
Bill,
That is pretty much what I decided to do. Although I am thinking about making the 24mm motor tube with the foil lined BT-50, and then making up an 18mm mount that will slide into the 24mm mount. I think with the airspace between the 18mm mount and the 24mm mount, plus the foil lined tube and then the airspace between the 24mm mount and the BT-60 I can run 18mm RMS motors without burning the paint. Plus I can run 24mm BP motors as well. I wonder how a C-11 would fly this rocket? I have never used one of them before. Sure wish the old C-5s were still available.
Again, thanks to all for the help and advice.
Sorry, but no pics again. I fell asleep on the couch after work and did not do any work on it :rolleyes:
Hans