PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Launch Equipment Wanted

CenturiKid
12-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in search of some vintage launch equipment, namely a Centuri Powr-Pad or the Estes eqivilent that sat on the lantern battery. Prefer used, as I plan to use this when I launch some of my vintage rockets - have to complete the effect :) . Thanks!

BIGBAR
12-18-2005, 12:38 AM
I saw one or two old ones on ebay a few days back. You may want to try there.
BIGBAR

Bob Thomas
12-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Take a look at Item number: 6023844860 on Ebay. Old starter kit but parts are obviously missing. It at least has the Lantern top launcher. I have one in my closet waiting for me to find a lantern battery!!!

CenturiKid
12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the responses! I've been looking on ebay, I bought one awhile back but it was missing alot of parts. I have a brand new Centuri SS Columbia Starter set, and the Estes Version, but they are both brand new ad I'm still in the debate weather to build or save. I've been using an Estes Bigfoot to fill in the gap, but launching off the lantern battery would just be cool :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I've got a Powr-Pad and I'd love to launch off of it, but finding a battery with the correct post pattern has been a headache and a half.

CenturiKid
12-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I looked at my Estes instructions and there was a list of batteries to use. I took that list to batteries plus and they were able to find one that was compatable. It was awile back, I bought a few that I have kept. I'm currently working on a template to make a "fake" battery that takes d cells but still supports the launcher. Now all I need is a complete launcher. Maybe I should pitch making vintage launchers to semroc? Thought I was the only one that thinks the vintage launchers are cool......

BIGBAR
12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
CenturiKid; Try this web site for new Latern batteries! cheapbatteries.com/lantern.htm

They carry this type of battery.
Hope this helps! :)
BIGBAR

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
I found a battery that was sized perfectly, but the posts were set in a different pattern than the one required. Any way to find out the specs on the posts?

tbzep
12-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm currently working on a template to make a "fake" battery that takes d cells but still supports the launcher

Why not make your "fake" battery casing to hold a 12v gel cell? They come in all shapes and sizes, last a long time, and you won't have to swap out the D cells every few launches.

tbzep
12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
BTW, when I was a kid, I couldn't afford a Powr-Pad, so I made my own out of wood. The super cool feature of having the controller stow away in the T-handle was out of reach with wood, but it was still kinda cool.

I think it is still in barn at my parents'. I might dig it out and snap a pic next time I'm up that way.

Tweener
12-20-2005, 05:59 PM
My old Power Pad is unfortunately somewhere in the Great Landfill Beyond. I used to LOVE that thing. I could stow the controller in the handle, break down the launch rod, put the key around my neck and slide a prepped rocket on the rod - which allowed me to ride my bicycle to the schoolyard for a launch holding virtually everything I needed in one hand. Extra engines, igniters and wadding went in my jacket pocket if I planned more than one launch. :D Thanks for bringing that memory back to the front for me!

kurtschachner
03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/poitier/135/rule3.wav
But I can bring this thread back ;-)

Andy, did you ever get one of these pads?

Kurt

Green Dragon
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
don;t have the power pad, but I do have an Estes orange CHallenger 1 set pad, if you still need one - this would go cheap to a fellow vintage nut, let me know.

~ AL

CenturiKid
03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Well Kurt, I see you found me. I suppose that means I should go ahead and post on the forum now and again :)

I still need a pad, actually. I've tried to snag one on ebay, and every time I think I have one, it comes in the mail broken or missing some vital part. I have three, and could not compile them all to get a complete, working set-up.

Green Dragon, if you are willing to let that pad go... I would give it a great home. I thought I had one of those awhile back with a Photon Torpedo set I got, but it was missing the plastic piece that fits on top of the battery.

I am seriously cursed with my vintage pad efforts :(

kurtschachner
03-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I can help you out with that. I'll bring "it" to the next meeting, or to the sod farm launch if you will be there. Let me know.

CenturiKid
03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks! I plan to be at the sod farm, and I hope to actually get something in the air this time. This pad thing really turned into more of a unicorn hunt than I thought!

On an unrelated topic, I talked to my friend with the laser cutter today, and I have been put in charge of the rocketry division. We'll have to talk more and find out what exactly that means :)

Andy

mycrofte
03-26-2010, 03:50 AM
I may have found a source for the battery!

http://www.zbattery.com/Duracell-Alkaline-MN918-6V-27Ah-Screw-Top-Lantern-Battery

You might call first and ask for dimensions...

mycrofte
03-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Here is one on eBay with 1 bid on it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170464449592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But I might try my hand at making one in the garage this spring...

ghrocketman
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
The original post on this was back in 2005 and has not had anything in FIVE YEARS except the last two days !!!

Ltvscout
03-26-2010, 12:25 PM
The original post on this was back in 2005 and has not had anything in FIVE YEARS except the last two days !!!
Kurt likes to stir the pot.

mycrofte
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM

That doesn't mean someone might not be interested. Otherwise, you might as well delete all the old stuff every 6 months...

CenturiKid
03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Sorry, I'm a constant lurker and not much of a poster. I recently joined WOOSH (same club as Kurt) and we were talking about the forum and the fact that I was here and didn't post much. That's where the "I see you found me" thing came from.

kurtschachner
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Kurt likes to stir the pot.

Heh, glad you said "stir".

PaulK
03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I'm a constant lurker and not much of a poster. I recently joined WOOSH (same club as Kurt) and we were talking about the forum and the fact that I was here and didn't post much....Well its about time Andy - welcome back to the asylum.

Ltvscout
03-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Heh, glad you said "stir".
Heh, I don't know what you did while at MSOE, other than date PS girls like the rest of us. ;)

kurtschachner
03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Heh, I don't know what you did while at MSOE, other than date PS girls like the rest of us. ;)

Yeah, for me at least, date and then marry :D

Doug Sams
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I found a battery that was sized perfectly, but the posts were set in a different pattern than the one required. Any way to find out the specs on the posts?Bill,

Not sure if this helps, but...I recently saw a Powr-pad, and one of the battery terminal holes was slotted. I assume this was to accomodate the slightly different terminal spacings on the 6V and 12V lantern batteries. So, if you have a pad like this, and your battery still won't fit, I'd look around and try a different battery. 'Cause it sure looks to me like this pad oughtta work with either one.

BICBW :)

Doug

kurtschachner
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Andy,

I still have that set, I missed you at that launch and I didn't make the last couple of meetings.

We should get together sometime and I can give it to you.

CenturiKid
05-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Kurt,

Long time no see! I've been at all the other launches and meetings, except that one! I have my Centuri Screaming Eagle and Vikings finished, and my Groove Tube, Excalibur and Twister ready for paint. Should be fun to get these in the air. I meant to reply to your B14 post... I found a tube of B14-0s in my stash, but don't have anything to fly them in. If you have something that takes these motors; I'd love to see one fly.

Take Care,
Andy