PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Centuri 1/100 Scaled Saturn - V Vintage Kit!

dwmzmm
12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
No, it's NOT a clone...since last weekend I've started work on the classic Centuri 1/100 scaled
Saturn - V kit that's been in storage ("still-in-the-box") for some 25+ years. I needed to have a flying Saturn - V model in my fleet, and had to "choose" between this one and the
Estes kit (also "still-in-the-box") .

The only major modifcations I will make on this Saturn - V is the four outboard F1 engine
nozzles will be able to hold an Estes A10-PT for a full, all up clustered model at liftoff (the
standard three engine cluster 18 mm will still apply). That's right, at launch this model will
be a seven engine cluster bird. Projected launch date for the first flight should be sometimes
this spring (NSL - 2006 in McGregor?).

One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins -
meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted
four balsa fins instead. As it stands right now, I have to install the four fin fairings, the system tunnels, launch lugs, and a few other minor stuff and the model will be ready for
the final finishing job.

Wish me luck when the final countdown gets underway!

CPMcGraw
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins - meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted four balsa fins instead.

I wonder if the Moldin Oldies fin and fairing set would have worked in place of the Centuri fins and fairings? They're probably close, being 1/100th scale...

dwmzmm
12-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I wonder if the Moldin Oldies fin and fairing set would have worked in place of the Centuri fins and fairings? They're probably close, being 1/100th scale...

I wasn't aware that Moldin Oldies had such a set...I'll go check it out. I've already attached
the balsa replacements and am waiting for the glue(s) to dry completely before I start with
the four fin fairings. Since I could not sand the balsa fins to the exact shape the plastic has,
it's going to be a bit of a challenge to get the fairings to fit properly to the lower wrapons.

If Molding Oldies are compatible, maybe I can consider using them on my unbuilt Estes kit
(I hope to make it - the Estes kit - both cluster for the first stage, multistage for stages
two and three).

kurtschachner
12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
One major problem I had with this kit is it was missing one set of the plastic vacuform fins -
meaning I could only have made two complete fins from the kit. Therefore, I've subsituted
four balsa fins instead. As it stands right now, I have to install the four fin fairings, the system tunnels, launch lugs, and a few other minor stuff and the model will be ready for
the final finishing job.

Did you call Estes to see if they have any parts for sale for their 2157 kit? It uses the same fins as the Centuri model. The plastic is slightly thinner but made from the same mold of course.

FWIW, you can 95% clone the Centuri kit using the Estes parts, only the capsule is different.

dwmzmm
12-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Did you call Estes to see if they have any parts for sale for their 2157 kit? It uses the same fins as the Centuri model. The plastic is slightly thinner but made from the same mold of course.

FWIW, you can 95% clone the Centuri kit using the Estes parts, only the capsule is different.

I've already attached the balsa fins and fin fairings; perhaps when I get around to building the Estes Saturn - V I still have (it's the one from the 1970's, with the embossed paper wrapons), I'll see if they (Estes) can sell me all the body wraps, fins and fairings to better
enhance the model from the scale point of view. I do intend to make a number of modifications to the Estes "older" version kit so improvements across the board will be
obvious.

Leo
01-01-2006, 08:17 AM
No, it's NOT a clone...since last weekend I've started work on the classic Centuri 1/100 scaled
Saturn - V kit that's been in storage ("still-in-the-box") for some 25+ years. I needed to have a flying Saturn - V model in my fleet, and had to "choose" between this one and the
Estes kit (also "still-in-the-box") .

Wish me luck when the final countdown gets underway!

Best of luck with your build Dave :)

Hope your progress is A LOT faster than mine because I haven't continued after starting way back in the mid 80's :eek: :(

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/SaturnV_LJ2.jpg

Keep us uptodate incl. pics here please ;)

dwmzmm
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM

Hope your progress is A LOT faster than mine because I haven't continued after starting way back in the mid 80's :eek: :(

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/SaturnV_LJ2.jpg

Keep us uptodate incl. pics here please ;)

Great pic! Mine pretty much looks the same (except I've done no painting yet) plus the
plastic F1 nozzles have been modified to accept the A10-PT's in each (excludes the central
F1) and I used balsa for the fins. I want to redo the LEM adapter by having a little more
detail than what the kit has. Will be getting together with our very own Saturn - V expert,
John Pursley, who happens to live close by, for ideas before any paint goes on.

Truth is, you're much further along with your model than I am...what are you waiting for?!

Ltvscout
01-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Leo,

Is that an original LJII tube? I thought that the tube came from Centuri with the wrap on it already?

Leo
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Leo,

Is that an original LJII tube? I thought that the tube came from Centuri with the wrap on it already?

You are correct Scott :)

... and here it is:

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/LJ2_Wrap.jpg

Way way back when I purchased the kit and saw that the wrap was poorly placed on the tube I thought I could carefully remove it and then put it back correctly. Well, guess I was wrong :(

Nomatter, the tube will look just like the original when I finish painting it, say in about another 20 years or so :o

:)

Leo
01-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Truth is, you're much further along with your model than I am...what are you waiting for?!

Dunno Sir :(

Rocketaholic
01-19-2006, 06:09 AM
You may want to try Tango Papa for the details you may need in order to fnish your model properly. :)

dwmzmm
02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Finished my Centuri 1/100 scaled Saturn - V today; the decals - originals that came with this
kit from many, many years ago - were in excellent shape and transferred from the paper to
the model without any problems. Spent a lot of time over the past two weeks applying the
paint for the roll patterns; used masking tape a little but for the most part, used a paint
brush and steady hands to apply the black paint.

Now what's left is to do some stablity tests to determine how much noseweight to install in
the Apollo capsule so this beauty can fly without using any add-on fins. Hope to have the
first flight sometime this coming Spring...

Leo
02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Oh please post detailed pictures of the kit :)

And not just 1 pic please ;)

Then you have permission to fly it :D

dwmzmm
02-19-2006, 03:19 PM

Wish I could, but I don't have a digital camera (just a 35 mm "advanced" camera). But next
weekend there's the Hearts and Darts Regional contest at JSC (hosted by the NHRC # 365
Section), and should I be able to attend, I'll bring the Saturn - V to put on display as I know
CD Warren Benson (a Saturn - V addict) will want to take plenty of pics with his digital. Since
most of the events for the contest are duration and spot landing, I'll need favorable weather
on Sunday (February 26th) to consider going to JSC (a 70 mile drive from where I live - here
in Katy, just west of Houston). The burn ban we've been under for the past four to five weeks have been lifted, since we've had some rain (and, I might add, pretty cold weather)
lately.

By the way, Warren Benson will be doing a discussion on modroc safety programs at the
upcoming NARCON - 2006 in a couple of weeks.

dwmzmm
02-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Just looked over your website (cool! How did you get so many vintage kits to your collection?!), saw that you also have the Centuri 1/45 scaled Apollo Little Joe - II on your
fleet list. My Apollo Little Joe - II, built way back in 1970 or 71 (don't remember exactly
which year) is still here in great condition and flies great, too. Here's a recent pic of the
Apollo Little Joe - II launched at JSC on May 21, 2005 and the pic was taken by none other
than Warren Benson:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/100B0070?full=1

Leo
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Just looked over your website (cool! How did you get so many vintage kits to your collection?!), saw that you also have the Centuri 1/45 scaled Apollo Little Joe - II on your
fleet list. My Apollo Little Joe - II, built way back in 1970 or 71 (don't remember exactly
which year) is still here in great condition and flies great, too. Here's a recent pic of the
Apollo Little Joe - II launched at JSC on May 21, 2005 and the pic was taken by none other
than Warren Benson:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/100B0070?full=1

Thats a real cool picture. Now which one of the beauties is the real thing? ;)

I bought the kits back in the early 80's at normal prices.

I've started building one of the two Centuri kits. One of the nicest classic kits every made.

dwmzmm
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Since the wind is forecasted to be in the 10 - 20 mph range at JSC tomorrow (Hearts and
Darts NAR contest), I won't be bringing my Saturn - V there for show and tell. Instead, I've
taken about a half dozen 35 mm pics of the model on display and should get the CD of the
photos by Monday; the pics should be posted by early next week (just in time before
NARCON - 2006!). There will be several "bonuses" in a couple of those pics, too!

dwmzmm
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
As promised, I got some pics taken and posted on the NASA Houston Rocket Club (NHRC
Section # 365) website. Go to the link below and look at the bottom of page 6, and scroll
on through page 7. The photo album for the Hearts & Darts Regional is incomplete, as more
pics will be posted in the near future. For a bonus, how about scrolling through this album
and you'll see yours truly prepping his classic vintage Centuri Point for the Open Spot Landing event! Enjoy...

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/album25?page=6

Leo
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
A gorgeous built kit Dave!

What kind of paint did you use?

Gloss? Semi gloss? Mat?

dwmzmm
02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
A gorgeous built kit Dave!

What kind of paint did you use?

Gloss? Semi gloss? Mat?

Thanks, Leo. I use the white gloss spray paint you can get at Wal-Mart for 98 cents, flat
black testor's enamel (and silver) in the little bottle at the model section at Wal-Mart,
and paint pens of the appropriate colors for the final touchups at many places/points of
the model. I consulted with John Pursley on whether to use all flat paint (as the Centuri's
Saturn - V instructions stated), but in the past I've had problems with the decals remaining
on the surface this way. Pursley said to go ahead and use gloss anyway (which is what I was
leaning toward anyhow). The decals for this particular model were still in excellent condition
considering how many years it had been in the box before being used. The only real glitch
I made was the position of the vertical motion decal that's next to the "UNITED STATES"
on the S-II stage; it should be position about 1/4" further to the left; plus, one of the black
dash was already sploched a bit. I may have to get another set of decals from Tango Papa
and redo that application.

dwmzmm
03-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Looks like my Saturn - V's first flight will have to be put on hold for a while. I was talking to
John Pursley the other night and described how I'd intended to power this model, until he
wisely mentioned the "Krushnik Effect." A quick research on the subject has convinced me
that I will need to make some modifications at the business end of the model before I can
get it to the flight stage. Thanks, John! Your warning probably saved this model from a
possible disaster and embarassment.

Leo
03-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Ok, permission denied until I see all the details of the modifications at the rear! :D

dwmzmm
03-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok, permission denied until I see all the details of the modifications at the rear! :D

Thanks, Leo. Better to be safe than sorry. BTW, what time is it in Germany right now?!

Leo
03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Exactly 11:44 PM when I click on the "Submit Reply" button ;)

dwmzmm
03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Exactly 11:44 PM when I click on the "Submit Reply" button ;)

And it's showing 4:44 PM CST when your post appeared. BTW, I signed the Guessbook to
your excellent website! Have a great day...

Leo
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Noted and already replied ;)

Bed time for me ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Dunno Sir :(

Well let us know where to find a "Dunno" and we'll get it in the mail. ;)

Leo
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Well let us know where to find a "Dunno" and we'll get it in the mail. ;)

Well, send me an pound of "motivation" and some real nice "weather" then I might continue the journey ;)

dwmzmm
04-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Well, send me an pound of "motivation" and some real nice "weather" then I might continue the journey ;)

While returning to the transportation center at work several weeks ago, I was behind a
pickup truck that had a sticker on the back window that said something like this: "Extra
Motivation - T & A."

Below that, T & A was fully spelled out...wanna guess?!