PDA

View Full Version : EnerJet 1340 Rocket (NARAM-14 REVIEW)

snaquin
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Our first launch of 2006 is scheduled for Saturday 1/14 and I didn't think I would have my EnerJet 1340 Large Payload rocket or EnerJet Egg Crate ready in time so I finished painting and decals on this version I had started just before the Holidays.

The EnerJet News from September, 1972 has an image with a short article about the EnerJet 1340 Rocket System First Shown in this NARAM-14 review issue. It was a great year for EnerJet. I cut and posted the article clip below and the entire issue can be found here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Enerjet/9-72/enerjet972.htm

or here:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ejn03.htm

My version uses a custom turned solid basswood nose cone from Sandman equal to the PNC-132. I purchased five of these cones to build a few Nike-Rams with and they were turned to fit the Semroc LT-125 heavy walled tubing. Phred made the water-slide decals from a scan I sent him of the EnerJet logo decal sheet I have from AAA.

Not sure if I will use the EM-9115 engine mount for 24mm or a 5.5" length of LT-115 for 29mm. I may build one of each and make the mounts so I can secure them with a screw in the airframe above the fin can and swap mounts in the field.

SEL
01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
My version uses a custom turned solid basswood nose cone from Sandman equal to the PNC-132. I purchased five of these cones to build a few Nike-Rams with and they were turned to fit the Semroc LT-125 heavy walled tubing. Phred made the water-slide decals from a scan I sent him of the EnerJet logo decal sheet I have from AAA.

Not sure if I will use the EM-9115 engine mount for 24mm or a 5.5" length of LT-115 for 29mm. I may build one of each and make the mounts so I can secure them with a screw in the airframe above the fin can and swap mounts in the field.

Nice work,Steve! I'll have to add my half finished 1340 to my current building list. Let us know how she fly's.

Sean

snaquin
01-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Nice work,Steve! I'll have to add my half finished 1340 to my current building list. Let us know how she fly's.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I used a different approach to finishing this one. I painted only the nose cone and fin can with Krylon gloss white. I painted the fin can while the fin can was slipped over a piece of scrap BT-56 to mask the inside from getting paint on it. The rest is all self-adhesive type monokote. We always see our own mistakes but if you look closely even using a little water mist sprayer with a drop or two of liquid soap, I should have laid the long piece of silver on the lower airframe in two pieces because I did get a small wrinkle or two on the silver, the gold, black and white laid down pretty smooth.

The silver is not that highly reflective chrome, it's more of a sliver gray color.

My 1340 with the large payload section is still on the bench and has the lower egg capsule transition modified to fit Semroc LT-125 tubing. I'll post some new pics of that 1340 in this thread when I have more progress but there are a few pics in the egg crate thread.

snaquin
01-26-2006, 08:59 PM
My 1340 with the large payload section is still on the bench and has the lower egg capsule transition modified to fit Semroc LT-125 tubing. I'll post some new pics of that 1340 in this thread when I have more progress but there are a few pics in the egg crate thread.

Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details. Semroc tubes, centering rings and motor mount with Pratt braided kevlar for the shock cord bridle. No paint on the airframes. I used self-adhesive monokote for the white, gold and black stripe. Has a basswood stand-off on the back side with K&S 5/16" thin wall brass tubing to slide over a 1/4" launch rod. 29mm motor mount in this one to feed it a few large motors at the next launch.

ghrocketman
01-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Your 1340 looks great !
What motor will you be using for the first flight ?

Tau Zero
01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Steve,

Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details.Steve wrote:

> This is the one I remember checking out of the library three decades ago and wishing...

Now you *are* "that EnerJet guy on page 231..." :D ;) :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1648

However, I'd like to go on record as saying that I think your hair is more evenly distributed than his. :D ;)

And in my mid-40's, I'll take all the hair I can get! (Well, except for the stuff that grows on my ears, and just all those odd places it never *used* to grow... :eek: )

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

Ltvscout
01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details. Semroc tubes, centering rings and motor mount with Pratt braided kevlar for the shock cord bridle. No paint on the airframes. I used self-adhesive monokote for the white, gold and black stripe. Has a basswood stand-off on the back side with K&S 5/16" thin wall brass tubing to slide over a 1/4" launch rod. 29mm motor mount in this one to feed it a few large motors at the next launch.
Did you just paint a Maniac/Eliminator fin can? Looks great!

snaquin
01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Your 1340 looks great !
What motor will you be using for the first flight ?

I think I still have a few of the original EconoJet F23's and G38's, the stronger ones before AT changed over to the new case design. I also have a few Ellis long burn G35's with a ten second delay. I'm thinking an F23 for the first flight.

snaquin
01-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Steve,

Steve wrote:

> This is the one I remember checking out of the library three decades ago and wishing...

Now you *are* "that EnerJet guy on page 231..." :D ;) :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1648

However, I'd like to go on record as saying that I think your hair is more evenly distributed than his. :D ;)

And in my mid-40's, I'll take all the hair I can get! (Well, except for the stuff that grows on my ears, and just all those odd places it never *used* to grow... :eek: )

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

:D

Right there with ya Jay, I'll be 45 this year. Just for fun I'm going to bring some black and white film with me to the launch and try to snap a picture to resemble the one in the handbook.

Eagle3
01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Steve, do you have the tube lengths for the 1340? I have a spare fin can and the 1340 looks like a good use for it. :D

snaquin
01-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Did you just paint a Maniac/Eliminator fin can? Looks great!

Yes. Sean's 1340 in the Centuri Cloning thread was what caught my eye when I joined the forum last summer. He supplied all the dimensions and suggested I try to get an Estes Longshot at the auctions since that would supply two fin cans for the price of one kit, so that's what I did. You cloning guys know some stuff .....

I shot two coats of Krylon white over the black fin can and then shot two coats of Krylon red over that. I rolled up a piece of construction paper as a wand and slid it through the can to keep paint off the inside and it slip fits over the airframe. The self-adhesive monokote above and below the can keep it from coming off.

(I noticed the decal isn't to scale, it's too small. I'm waiting for the larger red-black EnerJet logo because all I have is a solid black one in that size)

snaquin
01-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Steve, do you have the tube lengths for the 1340? I have a spare fin can and the 1340 looks like a good use for it. :D

I'll check for you when I get home tonight. Would a RockSim file help you? I made one for this rocket before I started the build.

Eagle3
01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I'll check for you when I get home tonight. Would a RockSim file help you? I made one for this rocket before I started the build.

Thanks! A rocksim file would be perfect.

snaquin
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks! A rocksim file would be perfect.

Here you go. You may want to make a few changes to the file. I used Semroc thick walled LT-125 and a small 2-1/2"L x 1-1/4"D piece of wood dowel to adapt the egg capsule base into the LT-125. If you delete the bulkhead and change the airframe to ST-13 you'll have standard Semroc/Estes parts.

I'm using this same mod on my EnerJet Egg Crate and I have a few close up images in this other thread that shows this arrangement I used with the base of the egg capsule a little better:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=621

Eagle3
01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Cool, thanks Steve! Hey, do you have the length for the ST13 payload section as pictured in the first post of this thread?
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1607

snaquin
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Cool, thanks Steve! Hey, do you have the length for the ST13 payload section as pictured in the first post of this thread?
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1607

Yes. The payload section is 8"

I attached the RockSim file for that one too.

Initiator001
04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Okay, now I am interested in building a few Enerjet clones.

I want to build a clone of the Nike Ram and 1340.

I've got the Nike Ram figured out. It's the 1340 that I have a question.

Using Semroc parts, is the nose cone for 1340 more like the BC-1321 or BC-1327?

The Nike Ram uses the BC-1327.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

snaquin
04-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Okay, now I am interested in building a few Enerjet clones.

I want to build a clone of the Nike Ram and 1340.

I've got the Nike Ram figured out. It's the 1340 that I have a question.

Using Semroc parts, is the nose cone for 1340 more like the BC-1321 or BC-1327?

The Nike Ram uses the BC-1327.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Bob

All you have to do is search the word EnerJet on this forum and it's not hard to find the other members here that have EnerJet on the brain so I guess we're beginning to brainwash you :D

The 1340 I built in the first post of this thread was based on the EnerJet News from September, 1972 would use a Centuri PNC-132 and that cone is 2.7" exposed so the Semroc BC-1327 would be closest. Sandman made me a few custom turnings from basswood and I felt the design could benefit from a little extra weight from that so I went that way. Also Moldin Oldies has a resin copy of the PNC-132 but Sandman gave me a price so close I passed on those:

http://moldinoldies.rocketshoppe.com/images/pnc-132.jpg

I have a couple of extras of the basswood cones from Sandman if you are interested let me know.

Also if you don't have RockSim I can print out that RockSim file to a .pdf and email it to you if you need it.

SEL
04-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Bob

All you have to do is search the word EnerJet on this forum and it's not hard to find the other members here that have EnerJet on the brain so I guess we're beginning to brainwash you :D

I finally got tired of waiting for painting weather, and decided to follow your lead and go the Trim Monocoat route. Luckily, today was pretty nice, so I primed the fin can and nose cone (PNC-132) I should be able to paint both tommorow and add the decals.

Sean

ghrocketman
04-19-2006, 06:30 AM
SEL,
Your 1340 looks great !
Does anybody have a spare Centuri fin-can for sale ? (I really don't want to buy a whole Maniac or Longshot kit to bash)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-19-2006, 06:49 AM
SEL,
Your 1340 looks great !
Does anybody have a spare Centuri fin-can for sale ? (I really don't want to buy a whole Maniac or Longshot kit to bash)

Give Estes a call. I think it's the same fin can that's a part of the Eliminator kit. :confused:

snaquin
04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I finally got tired of waiting for painting weather, and decided to follow your lead and go the Trim Monocoat route. Luckily, today was pretty nice, so I primed the fin can and nose cone (PNC-132) I should be able to paint both tommorow and add the decals.

Sean

Looks great Sean!

Those fin cans look really cool painted white since you don't see them in that color. When I painted mine I rolled up a piece of construction paper to use as a wand and so I wouldn't get paint on the inside of the fin can and since I used a black Longshot fin can it really looked strange when I slid it off, black on the inside and white on the outside!

The more I use those monokote trim sheets the more I like working with it. Humidity is high here and when you paint something you can still smell it in the garage for a week ..... and you know the wife just loves that :rolleyes:

Did you lay the silver on yours in one piece? I can't see a seam :)

snaquin
04-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Give Estes a call. I think it's the same fin can that's a part of the Eliminator kit. :confused:

Yes, that's the one. I picked up my last Eliminator at the Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon.

That's the only kit available that I know of that still uses that can so I hope if Estes does send the #1950 Eliminator into OOP status that another kit will be made to use that part.

If you want to call Estes the Eliminator instructions list that part as:

Plastic Fin Unit - Yellow (1)
(034063)

And the 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby is attached.

Chris_Timm
04-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I just got my SEMROC order today with enough parts for 4 1340 clones.
Going old school with ALL-BALSA cones, transition, and tube coupler.
Fin Unit is stock plastic.
I stuck them together for a quick photo.

ghrocketman
04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Chris,
Can you give me parts lists for all three of your 1340's ?
Along with tube lengths if you had to trim them ?
Really interested in the "big payload" model !
Is the one on the right representative of a factory variation ?
I have only seen the Left and middle versions.

Chris_Timm
04-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Semroc parts:

Starting at the top........

ENERJET 1340/20
-------------------
BC-2025 Balsa Nose Cone #20 2.5" Elliptical $4.75
ST-2098 Body Tube #20 9.8" long $1.25
BR-1320L Balsa Reducer #13 to #20 $6.70
ST-13130 Body Tube #13 13.0" Long $1.30

Motor Mount to fit your choice.

ENERJET 1340
---------------
BC-1364 Balsa Nose Cone #13 6.4" Rounded Ogive $5.15
or
BC-1327 Balsa Nose Cone #13 2.7" Bezier $3.00

ST-1380 Body Tube #13 8.0" Long $0.95
BTC-13 Balsa Tube Coupler #13 $2.15
ST-13135 Body Tube #13 13.5" Long $1.30

You supply the fin cans.

One 1340/20 tube is short 0.2" from true scale.
One 1340 tube coupler needs an 0.1" exposed length for true scale.
Both body tubes extend 0.5" past fin can.

snaquin
04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I just got my SEMROC order today with enough parts for 4 1340 clones.
Going old school with ALL-BALSA cones, transition, and tube coupler.
Fin Unit is stock plastic.
I stuck them together for a quick photo.

The Semroc version of the elliptical cone for the ST-20 looks great. I like the looks of your balsa parts. I do wish Carl had that same transition to fit the LT-125 though.

I may have to build another 1340/20 using the balsa parts. I've had bad luck with the black paint sticking to my yellow egg capsule. Flakes off the shoulders real easy. Balsa would fix that problem :)

SEL
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Looks great Sean!

Those fin cans look really cool painted white since you don't see them in that color. When I painted mine I rolled up a piece of construction paper to use as a wand and so I wouldn't get paint on the inside of the fin can and since I used a black Longshot fin can it really looked strange when I slid it off, black on the inside and white on the outside!

The more I use those monokote trim sheets the more I like working with it. Humidity is high here and when you paint something you can still smell it in the garage for a week ..... and you know the wife just loves that :rolleyes:

Did you lay the silver on yours in one piece? I can't see a seam :)

Yup, one piece for the silver, white and gold. The only one that gave me trouble was the white - a bit of a crease on the seam side. Which of course means that there is a crease in the gold where it overlaps the white :( . *BUT* I could get used to the trim monocoat thing. You just have to get it started on a straight line. It also helps (and you may have mentioned this) to only cut a thin strip of the backing off to get it started, and then peel off a bit at a time as you work your way around the tube. I forgot about the soapy water trick - may have to try that next time.

I put the final coat of gloss wht on the can and cone this evening. Decals tomorow.

Sean

Initiator001
05-09-2006, 09:45 PM
The Enerjet bug has bitten me, bad.

I have nearly all the parts I need to start building several Enerjet 1340 clones.

I'll be using the Trim Monokote finishing method to cut down on the amount of painting.

Today, I started with the fin can preparation. I washed the fin cans in warn, soapy water prior to getting ready to paint them.

Here's a few pictures (Before, during & after washing).

Bob

P.S.: Can anybody else say that when they build rockets, they use the 'Kitchen Sink'? :D

Ltvscout
05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
P.S.: Can anybody else say that when they build rockets, they use the 'Kitchen Sink'? :D
Sure! Did you get yours at Semroc, too? :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-09-2006, 10:30 PM

Well, no. But I've been known to swish a thing or two around in the toilet. :rolleyes:

Initiator001
05-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Another update.

Plastic fin cans primed and painted.

Plastic nose cones primed and painted.

Working the night shift does have it's advantages. :)

Bob

Initiator001
05-22-2006, 12:35 AM
I continue to make steady progress with my 1340 clones.

Here's a picture of painted parts. I put one of the 1340s together for the picture. Nothing has been glued together, yet.

Bob

snaquin
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I continue to make steady progress with my 1340 clones.

Here's a picture of painted parts. I put one of the 1340s together for the picture. Nothing has been glued together, yet.

Bob

Looks great Bob ..... coming along nicely :)

I regret that I haven't been able to spend more time with my EnerJet rocket buds on the forum for the past couple of weeks due to a slow recovery to "micro fracture" surgery on my left knee and I'm up to three days per week now with physical therapy and about 2 weeks post-op. :(

I did however get a little build work done on my next 1340 build by adapting an Estes PNC-56 cone to fit Semroc LT-125 tubing by removing the nose cone shoulder to be replaced by a short length of Semroc LT-115 to slip fit the cone inside the LT-125 airframe. I first learned this method in the 80's from Al with AAA Model Aviation Fuels as he used this on a Laser Sonic kit that I had purchased in this same diameter.

I thought I would try to simulate the coupler on the original by cutting a .10 length of the plastic nose cone shoulder just to see if I could get an accurate cut that short. It can be done but it is difficult. This would have to be made from the cone itself, not the cone shoulder (that I practiced with) since the OD would also have to be equal to the OD of the payload section and airframe .134" and could be made to fit over some LT-115. A .10" slice of LT-125 would suffice to make it from cardboard instead of plastic or I may decide not to bother. Not sure. Ask me again in a couple of weeks when the pain meds wear off ..... :D

Initiator001
05-26-2006, 01:16 AM
I have almost finished one of my 1340 clones. All it needs is a parachute and decals and it will be done. :)

I went with the PNC-56 cone for this clone. I was going to use the prototype cone but I had a little paint incompatibility 'problem' and I need to sand down that nose cone. :mad:

More pictures to follow...

Bob

snaquin
05-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I have almost finished one of my 1340 clones. All it needs is a parachute and decals and it will be done. :)

I went with the PNC-56 cone for this clone. I was going to use the prototype cone but I had a little paint incompatibility 'problem' and I need to sand down that nose cone. :mad:

More pictures to follow...

Bob

Looks great Bob :D

Very nice.

If you find that you ruined your "stubby" version cone I have an extra one custom turned by Sandman from basswood that matches the shape of the original. Semroc also sells the BC-1327 if you want balsa. Email me if you need one.

Initiator001
05-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Another 1340 clone almost finished.

Here is a picture of the 'prototype' 1340 in it's PR finishing scheme.

Next, side-by-side picture of the 'prototype' and the PNC-56 version.

One more to go. A 'production' version with a paint scheme seen at NARAM-16.

Bob

snaquin
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
One more to go. A 'production' version with a paint scheme seen at NARAM-16.

Bob

..... And you know that's the one I'm waiting to see :D

Again, nice work Bob. If you need assistance with decals email me, I can spare a few. I also purchased a few a short while back in vinyl from a company I found in SR - Graphix and Stuff. A little expensive compared to water slide but well worth the extra money for ease of application and they look great. I used a black and red vinyl EnerJet logo on my last sounding rocket and I'm not sure I'm going back with water slide .....

Try to get some nice flight pics to post from NARAM-48. I wish I could make NARAM-48. No vendors up on the page yet. It would be great to meet in person some of the forum members here and some of the fine vendors we support as well as fly with them. I've never attended a NARAM. I assume since they have a contest range and sport range that the sport range is open to the public during those times?

Initiator001
06-02-2006, 02:05 AM
..... And you know that's the one I'm waiting to see :D

Again, nice work Bob. If you need assistance with decals email me, I can spare a few. I also purchased a few a short while back in vinyl from a company I found in SR - Graphix and Stuff. A little expensive compared to water slide but well worth the extra money for ease of application and they look great. I used a black and red vinyl EnerJet logo on my last sounding rocket and I'm not sure I'm going back with water slide .....

Try to get some nice flight pics to post from NARAM-48. I wish I could make NARAM-48. No vendors up on the page yet. It would be great to meet in person some of the forum members here and some of the fine vendors we support as well as fly with them. I've never attended a NARAM. I assume since they have a contest range and sport range that the sport range is open to the public during those times?

I'm working on that NARAM-16 paint scheme version as fast as I can! :D

Thanks for the offer on the decals. I picked up a set of Enerjet decals from Phred at Excelsior Rocketry. I also have an 'original' sheet of Enerjet decals I could use if I get desperate. ;)

I will get some nice pictures at NARAM-48. My Canon EOS 20D digital SLR camera is an amazing piece of equipment. This will be my first NARAM since Colorado in 2000. My job won't let me take more than seven days off in a row. :(

The sport range is separate from the contest range and is open to anyone who will pay the fee and follow the safety code.

I'll post more pictures as I finish all three 1340s!

Bob

Initiator001
06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I have finished one of my 1340 models.

This is my 'production' model with a paint scheme seen at NARAM-16.

The ENERJET decal on the body tube is from an original ENERJET decal sheet!

I'm waiting for a reply from Phred concerning a 'custom' ENERJET decal sheet in order to finish my other 1340 models. :)

Bob

tbzep
06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
She looks nice!

Initiator001
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
She looks nice!

Thank you.

I hope to finish up my other two 1340s before the end of June.

Stay tuned for pictures!

Bob

snaquin
06-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Thank you.

I hope to finish up my other two 1340s before the end of June.

Stay tuned for pictures!

Bob

Awesome Bob :D

That's the first picture I've seen of the actual production version of this sounding rocket, and in original NARAM-16 colors - very nice!

I like the way you reproduced the .10 exposed portion of the connector to the payload section, just like the original red part would have looked. Nice touch. It's awesome to see the 1340 exactly as you remember it from NARAM-16. I've never actually had the opportunity to view one of the originals ......

Although I'm still on crutches from surgery last month I hope to get some work done on my EnerJets and ARG Prototypes this weekend if I can tolerate it.

As far as EnerJet decals I can offer information about what I have been able to procure from online vendors and what you can expect for your $$$

I'm still every bit as hyped today about EnerJet sounding rockets as I was June of last year when I began ordering my decals, and I can tell you that both Excelsior and Tago Papa made me very nice reproductions. The set Phred sells were made from a scan I sent to him via email that I obtained from AAA Model Aviation Fuels back in the 80's and came out very nice. I sent Tango Papa the same scan and he also provided a nice sheet. Not sure if Phred offers it but from Tango Papa you can also request the 110# decal paper - it sits down nice and doesn't tear as easy as the thinner stuff. One thing that you will notice, and it didn't occur to me until AFTER I ordered from both vendors is the sheets do not include a large red/black lettered version of the logo. This is because the sheet I scanned from AAA did not include it. I do have a waterslide of the larger red/black logo but obviously it isn't an original because of the AeroTech logo on the same waterslide. That decal has letters approx. 3/4" in height - I wonder how close that is to your original?

I do have some vinyl reproductions of the 3/4" red/black that was done by Dave Rose with Graphix & Stuff when I found their ad in SR a few months ago. They are somewhat expensive but man vinyl is soooooo nice to apply and extremely durable. If any forum member wants a high res scan of the EnerJet AeroTech waterslide decal that I own, please email me off forum and I will send to you via email. Anyway, low res scans below (low res so as not to disservice the vendors) of what you can expect with your orders. The Nike-Ram sheet is also from Phred from a scan I emailed to him last June and there are enough decals to finish 5 Nike-Rams on a single sheet! Well worth the $$$ Phred is charging for these.

You know Bob, I'm going to be really bummed if you don't post some flight pictures of your EnerJet rockets from NARAM this year ..... ;)

Initiator001
06-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Alright!

All three of my Enerjet 1340 clones are complete and ready for NARAM-48. :D

Bob

Ltvscout
06-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Alright!

All three of my Enerjet 1340 clones are complete and ready for NARAM-48. :D

Bob
They all look great, Bob! Don't forget to post launch photos after NARAM. ;)

DeanHFox
06-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Those are some awesomely sweet looking birds, Bob. Let us know how the flights go! :)

Initiator001
06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Those are some awesomely sweet looking birds, Bob. Let us know how the flights go! :)

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I'll post how the flights turn out. With pictures. :D

If I'm lucky, I'll be posting from the NARAM hotel. ;)

Bob

hawkshobby
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the compliment. :)

I'll post how the flights turn out. With pictures. :D

If I'm lucky, I'll be posting from the NARAM hotel. ;)

Bob
Hope to see you there. :)
Mark

Initiator001
08-09-2006, 08:58 PM
After presenting my 'flight' 1340 model to Lee and Betty Piester at NARAM-48, I decided I will build another one in this paint scheme. I want to fly it, again, at NARAM-49 and it's less than one year from now! I have got to hurry. ;)

I've already started...

Bob

Ltvscout
08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
After presenting my 'flight' 1340 model to Lee and Betty Piester at NARAM-48, I decided I will build another one in this paint scheme. I want to fly it, again, at NARAM-49 and it's less than one year from now! I have got to hurry.
I knew all those Bed, Bath & Beyond mailings we get were good for something! :D

snaquin
08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
After presenting my 'flight' 1340 model to Lee and Betty Piester at NARAM-48, I decided I will build another one in this paint scheme. I want to fly it, again, at NARAM-49 and it's less than one year from now! I have got to hurry. ;)

I've already started...

Bob

Bob

At least yours is in primer ..... my 1340's are still pieces and parts in a box :) At least I'm making some progress on other projects though so I should be able to get back on more EnerJet clones soon.

BTW, what motors did you fly your EnerJet clones with at NARAM? I saw you mentioned in another thread you used an E15-7W for one of your flights. That sims to over 2,500 feet with that motor. Did you use a streamer or a small chute for recovery?

Initiator001
08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Bob

At least yours is in primer ..... my 1340's are still pieces and parts in a box :) At least I'm making some progress on other projects though so I should be able to get back on more EnerJet clones soon.

BTW, what motors did you fly your EnerJet clones with at NARAM? I saw you mentioned in another thread you used an E15-7W for one of your flights. That sims to over 2,500 feet with that motor. Did you use a streamer or a small chute for recovery?

I flew the 1340 with an E15-7W and a 12" nylon parachute.

2,500 feet!? It didn't seem to go THAT high. :D

It did land about 100 yards away. Well, not exactly land. It got caught in the only 'tree' for miles around. However, since the 'tree' was only 6-7 feet tall, I was able to get the rocket down. :)

Bob

snaquin
08-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I flew the 1340 with an E15-7W and a 12" nylon parachute.

2,500 feet!? It didn't seem to go THAT high. :D

It did land about 100 yards away. Well, not exactly land. It got caught in the only 'tree' for miles around. However, since the 'tree' was only 6-7 feet tall, I was able to get the rocket down. :)

Bob

Just remember Bob ..... if it was a larger tree and from 100 yards away you can barely hear a chainsaw running from that distance ;)

I really like the NARAM-16 paint scheme you used. It looks good, even hanging in a tree!

A few sims of that rocket are below. Look at sim #10. It pretty much screams on anything larger than a D12-7.

Ignore the selected stage mass shown in the screen print because it still had a G55-10 loaded into it when I screen printed it after my sim for flight #11. I ran it for kicks because I actually flew an Estes Maniac twice in the same day for my son Matthew back in 1994 with G55-10's. I had added about an ounce of nose weight with BB's and epoxy to balance out the motor mass. We recovered it both times and according to the 1340 sims on that motor it had a real close brush with Mach-1, twice.

The picture is post flight when I brought him back home with a big smile on his face :D

Initiator001
08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Just remember Bob ..... if it was a larger tree and from 100 yards away you can barely hear a chainsaw running from that distance ;)

I really like the NARAM-16 paint scheme you used. It looks good, even hanging in a tree!

A few sims of that rocket are below. Look at sim #10. It pretty much screams on anything larger than a D12-7.

Ignore the selected stage mass shown in the screen print because it still had a G55-10 loaded into it when I screen printed it after my sim for flight #11. I ran it for kicks because I actually flew an Estes Maniac twice in the same day for my son Matthew back in 1994 with G55-10's. I had added about an ounce of nose weight with BB's and epoxy to balance out the motor mass. We recovered it both times and according to the 1340 sims on that motor it had a real close brush with Mach-1, twice.

The picture is post flight when I brought him back home with a big smile on his face :D

I don't think they sell chainsaws in Phoenix because there are no trees. :D

I'm working away on a replacement 1340 in the red/white/blue paint scheme (See picture).

I flew several modified Maniacs (29mm motor mount) in the late 1990's. I flew one on a F25W at NARAM-41. It had a 12 foot silver mylar streamer. Went up fine, saw it all the way to landing in a tree! :mad:

I built another 29mm Maniac for NARAM-42. At the launch I was presented with a (ahem) NCRBE F62-9 motor to fly in it. I would, also, be given a NCRBE G70-10 to fly in the Maniac should it survive the first flight. Both these motors had NAR Certification at that time.

Well, the Maniac sure scooted off the pad in a hurry. Everything looked good until 500-600 feet where it disintegrated. It must have been pushing Mach. :eek:

Bob

Green Dragon
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
ENERJET 1340
---------------
BC-1364 Balsa Nose Cone #13 6.4" Rounded Ogive $5.15
or
BC-1327 Balsa Nose Cone #13 2.7" Bezier $3.00

ST-1380 Body Tube #13 8.0" Long $0.95
BTC-13 Balsa Tube Coupler #13 $2.15
ST-13135 Body Tube #13 13.5" Long $1.30

You supply the fin cans.

One 1340 tube coupler needs an 0.1" exposed length for true scale.
Both body tubes extend 0.5" past fin can.

I recall this thread , and have a 1340 clone in th works ( someday, along with my Challenger II as well ) .
Anyways, what i recalled was the comment above re: the exposed coupler length .
at first I thought this was maybe the Super Kits coupler, but it's short ( .1" as noted ) .

sooo..... is this a plastic coupler, with a small section the same as the OD of the tube ?

I just picked up a partial Astrosat kit for the nosecone, and it has a plastic tube coupler with about .125 exposed length.
would that be close for the 1340 ? :)

just wanted some clarification if anyone has better info / pics to verify the exposed coupler section between tubes.

~ AL

Initiator001
08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I've completed building my new 1340 flight clone. All I need to do is order some decals from Phred.

I had to hurry and get it finished. I hope to attend NARAM-49 and it's less than a year away! :D

Next up: Two Enerjet Nike Ram clones.

Bob

snaquin
08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I recall this thread , and have a 1340 clone in th works ( someday, along with my Challenger II as well ) .
Anyways, what i recalled was the comment above re: the exposed coupler length .
at first I thought this was maybe the Super Kits coupler, but it's short ( .1" as noted ) .

sooo..... is this a plastic coupler, with a small section the same as the OD of the tube ?

I just picked up a partial Astrosat kit for the nosecone, and it has a plastic tube coupler with about .125 exposed length.
would that be close for the 1340 ? :)

just wanted some clarification if anyone has better info / pics to verify the exposed coupler section between tubes.

~ AL

It was a plastic coupler. As you noted it's similar to the super kits coupler only with the exposed portion of the coupler .10" in length and the od was the same as the od of the tubing. I attempted to recreate the coupler using a .10 slice of PNC-56 nose cone centered in the middle of a piece of LT-115 that slip fits into the LT-125 Semroc tubing. You could easily do the same with a .10" slice of LT-125 (or ST-13 if you choose that for your airframe). I posted a picture of one I made here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=8012&postcount=34

I estimated the length of the coupler to be 2.10" total length, figuring maybe an inch recessed into the payload section and an inch recessed into the airframe with the .10 exposed.

Initiator001
09-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I completed my fourth Enerjet 1340 clone today thanks to Phred and his great decals!

Now, back to work on the Nike-Ram models.

Bob

Chris_Timm
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM

~ AL

It was a blow-molded plastic coupler.
The AstroSat coupler is a great compromise between having an original part and an available part.

Chris

Green Dragon
09-17-2006, 05:20 PM
It was a blow-molded plastic coupler.
The AstroSat coupler is a great compromise between having an original part and an available part.

Chris

Chris,

sounds great - thanks for the input / drawing.

I thought , when I saw the Astrosat coupler, that it looked like a good compromise - although the shoulder length isn't very long, might be able to glue a coupler, or internal 1.25" dowel like Steve used, or similar.

I will save the plastic coupler as ' use on the 1340' , I do have a fin can set aside for that ( and one for my Challenger II that is getting near in the que :)

~ AL

snaquin
09-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Preparing for our season opening launch at the Winnsboro field Sept 15th. I have six planned flights including my recently finished EnerJet 1340/20. Instead of using the Egg Capsule Nose Cone PNC-13E/ST-202, I used the Semroc BC-2025/BR-1320L balsa parts.

I used a 10" payload section according to the EnerJet 1340/20 specifications that Chris Timm provided. According to this brochure the basic payload length was 10" with 2", 5" and 12" available.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/enerjet/enj1340-20/enj1340-20.htm

This is my second EnerJet 1340/20 build and I just completed it last night. My first used the PNC-13E/ST-202 Egg Capsule parts and a 12" payload section and is pictured in post #4 of this thread.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=5590&postcount=4

To offset the mass of the Ellis G35-10 motor I had to add an ounce of nose weight. I used a small screw eye and a quick link. I can add or remove small #10 washers to the quick link hooked to the screw eye to adjust weight. For your reference, the rocket before adding weight with a conservative amount of epoxy used for the build came in at about 6.5 ounces dry with surveyors tape for a streamer. I'm not sure how much surveyors tape is in there. I started rolling it around a dowel until I rolled up enough that I could just barely slip fit what I rolled up into the top of the tube. I used half of an 8 yard package of elastic from Wal-Mart and there was just barely enough room to close it up.

Should be an interesting flight to a RockSim predicted altitude of 4,800 feet. RockSim file attached. I took the other mass objects out of the file and although the capsule parts are Semroc and simmed as solid balsa, you'll have to rename them since they still bear the part #'s of the plastic parts I used in my first design.

snaquin
10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I flew my EnerJet 1340/20 at the High Cotton launch in Winnsboro, LA. I used an Ellis Mountain G35-10 single use motor for this flight. The G35 is rated at 124.2 NS total impulse, with 32 N average thrust (G32) and a burn time of 3.9 seconds. This motor is very capable of sending a small 6.5 ounce rocket like the EnerJet 1340/20 to a respectable altitude.

The first picture is me attaching the clips to the QuickBurst twiggy igniter leads. The second picture I took just for fun and saved it without color to see how much my 1340/20 would resemble the 4th Ed. Handbook image in my previous post.

I had intended to get a lift off shot of this model but we were having launch control issues. Tried to fire it once, recycled the control and tried to fire it again. Nothing. Disarmed the launch control and I walked out to the pad and removed the igniter and put it right back into the motor because I could see it didn't fire.

When I walked back and the range was clear another countdown and launch attempt was made. Nothing. As soon as I put my camera down around my neck an relaxed, it was realized by the LCO the leads were swapped at the pads and the other pad button was pushed before I could get my camera ready and it tore off the pad. It was already about two seconds into the burn when I picked up my camera to snap the this third picture. You could no longer see the rocket but the thin thread of smoke was visible all the way to apogee and the small puff of tracking power was visible with binoculars. The long surveyors tape streamer could be seen reflecting the sunlight and it took a very long time to free fall back to land about 60 - 75 yards from the pad where I launched it.

A truly incredible flight with a really awesome motor to give this EnerJet model the ride it deserved.

:D

pantherjon
10-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice! :)

Initiator001
10-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Another nice flight, Steve.

You must have a large flying field to attempt a 'G' motor flight with a 1340/20. :eek:

Bob

snaquin
10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
We have field capability for motors up to and including M impulse and hybrid motors. Waiver to 10,000’ with call in windows to 15,000’.

I flew both the EnerJet 1340/20 and my EnerJet Egg Crate on G35's Saturday. I was able to get a nice lift off shot of the Egg Crate and I'll be updating that thread soon with the picture. The RockSim estimate for the EnerJet Egg Crate was an altitude of 5,406 feet.

On the opposite side of the road leading to the field (the road is green in the image below) was a cotton field that had not yet been cut. Everything else around was cut flat except the cotton field along side of the road that had plants very closely planted grown about 4 or 5 feet tall.

Unfortunately, even though the EnerJet Egg Crate was tracked all the way from ejection at apogee and most of it's descent it went down in that field a short distance from the road and was not recovered. It would have been no problem to recover if not for the crops as it was within walking distance from where we set up at.