PDA

View Full Version : Copperhead Igniter Question

Thor
01-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Planning on firing my upscale Goblin (2.6"Dia) with an F21-4W and first time using copperhead igniters. Can you put a small amount of wadding into the nozzle to hold the igniter in place like I used to use on the Estes Black Powder engines before they developed the colored plastic plugs that do the same thing? Thanks! Thor

ghrocketman
01-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Follow the instructions that came with the copperhead; I have heard of others using the wadding to retain the igniter, but if Aerotech does not recc. it, neither do I. I have seen AP motors CATO due to wadding being too tight.

barone
01-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Better off taping it into place......plugging may create too much internal pressure and cause a CATO. Ran into that type of problem with some of the FSI motors.

Don
NAR 53455

Thor
01-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys! The Goblin flew today for the first time and I was suprised how long it sputtered on the pad before launching. It flew slowly but really nice and straight and seem to coast slowly without a rapid slow down, ejection was perfect. I had built this rocket last summer and just now got to fly it. It was a big thrill, my first F engine. I plan to make a 3.9" diameter Goblin this year and that one will be my first 29mm motor rocket.